two interviews question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Olek80 in London, United Kingdom

21 months ago

Hello all,

I have two interviews booked this month which are one week apart. This is for a
skilled IT job.

I slightly prefer the job with the company that I am meeting later. However if
unsuccessful I would like to accept the job with the company I meet earlier.

My question is:
Should I tell the company that I meet earlier straight away during and
interview, that if they offer me a job, I will be unable to give them the
answer until I know the outcome of the other interview next week? Or should I
wait until they offer me a job? I suspect if I tell them upfront, it might
influence their decision. I have to add that both companies are reimbursing me
for travel expenses.

What would you do and what is the best practice?

many thanks for any advice,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

Olek80 in London, United Kingdom said: Hello all,

I have two interviews booked this month which are one week apart. This is for a
skilled IT job.

I slightly prefer the job with the company that I am meeting later. However if
unsuccessful I would like to accept the job with the company I meet earlier.

My question is:
Should I tell the company that I meet earlier straight away during and
interview, that if they offer me a job, I will be unable to give them the
answer until I know the outcome of the other interview next week? Or should I
wait until they offer me a job? I suspect if I tell them upfront, it might
influence their decision. I have to add that both companies are reimbursing me
for travel expenses.

What would you do and what is the best practice?

many thanks for any advice,

There is no "best practice" but here in the colonies, you accept the first offer. If by some miracle, the other offer comes through and this is your "dream job" you quit job #1.

What you don't do is try and pressure an employer. You will never hear from them again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

Mom made homemade choc chip cookies today!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

To answer your quest, No! You can't tell them you have to wait until you hear from the second company.

Usually though you will not hear from the first company (or any company for that matter) until weeks later as to their decision anyway.

What you hope for is that both companies offer you the jobs at about the same time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Mom made homemade choc chip cookies today!

Oh, my favorite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

You and sis ever bake together? Work out in the yard together?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: There is no "best practice" but here in the colonies, you accept the first offer. If by some miracle, the other offer comes through and this is your "dream job" you quit job #1.

What you don't do is try and pressure an employer. You will never hear from them again.

Shockingly, this.

And bake and send both German chocolate cakes post-interview as a thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.