Been Self Employed since graduation from college.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

BPhipps35 in Sykesville, Maryland

24 months ago

I recently have made the decision to finally end my landscaping company and have been applying to numerous jobs over the past year and a half to land a more stable career. I have received less then 10 responses and even less interviews. Is the fact that I have been self employed holding me back? I have had full time positions in the winters and have not had a problem find them but now that I want a new career its all most impossible it seems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

BPhipps35 in Sykesville, Maryland said: I recently have made the decision to finally end my landscaping company and have been applying to numerous jobs over the past year and a half to land a more stable career. I have received less then 10 responses and even less interviews. Is the fact that I have been self employed holding me back? I have had full time positions in the winters and have not had a problem find them but now that I want a new career its all most impossible it seems.

This is the worst job market in 80 years. What's the question?

Personally, being in business for yourself is not a bad thing, in this market.

BPhipps35 in Glenwood, Maryland

24 months ago

I understand the job market completely. I just feel that since I have been in business for myself since I graduated with an economics degree and have not worked for anyone but myself as a permanent job, it is holding me back from being considered for positions that I have applied for and am looking for any recommendations that would help.

JD in Yerington, Nevada

24 months ago

It could be that the fact that you owned and ran your own business is making employers think that you'll want more than they're willing to pay. If that's not the case, try revamping your resume to downplay the owner/operator side and highlight more of the transferrable skills that are appropriate to the job to whaich you're applying.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.