Divorce and Relocation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Alexa in Colorado Springs, Colorado

29 months ago

Hello everyone,

I would like some advice for my resume. Last summer, I left a job in Florida for a new job in Colorado due to a divorce. I had a very successful career, but in 2010 I closed my business, took a lesser position which I kept for 8 months, then divorced and moved to Colorado to buy a home and eventually retire. Do I need to explain this? If so, how?

Thank you in advance for all assistance!
Alexa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

An interviewer decides within the first 30 seconds whether or not they want you - this means before they have even spoken to you yet. If you are likeable, make a goood impression, and they like you, the rest is secondary. If they ask you, and you want to explain it, then tell them. If you don't want everyone to know your personal story, then don't tell them. Just keep your story simple and as honest (without too much tellall) as you can. No one really needs to know you got divorced or about your marital situation. Say you you were ready to start a new chapter in your life, closed your business, took a position to get a feel for things, and you wanted a new atmosphere, so you moved out of Florida. Then smile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

I love the advice! Thank you. Just so I am sure I understand your comment. I should just leave any and all explanations off the resume? Thanks again!

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

Only put on your resume your professional qualifications, such as past careers (you worked for yourself), with your experience and skills and accomplishments. Nothing personal beyond that goes on a resume. If someone asks your marital status (which they shouldn't), say you are divorced (not recently divorced). If someonea sks why7 you left Florida and moved to Colorado. A: I vacationed here quite often and just love Colorado. I have had changes in my life, with the opportunity to relocate, and I just couldn't pack fast enough. I love it here and have no desire to live anywhere else. Remember, smile, smile, smile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Excellent! Thank you so much!!!

CJ EasyWayResume in Roseville, California

29 months ago

No one should be asking your marital status, simply say you were looking to make a change and it was the right time in your life to relocate to Colorado where I have always wanted to live. If you have the right attitude and qualifications, that should be enough for any employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.