Microsoft Certifications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

DavidJ in Salt Lake City, Utah

35 months ago

Should I put the certification acronym (MCSE, MCITP) after my name of just leave the certification listed under Qualifications headding? The people at my school who help write resume's are not sure if you do that for IT professions or not, medical you would, but IT we're not sure about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

Don't put it after your name. There's an increasing backlash against flaunting certifications that way, no matter how hard they are to get.

It's suitable to put under qualifications and/or education (which is a good place to put all your relevant certifications).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

DavidJ in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Should I put the certification acronym (MCSE, MCITP) after my name of just leave the certification listed under Qualifications headding? The people at my school who help write resume's are not sure if you do that for IT professions or not, medical you would, but IT we're not sure about.

Under the Summary of Qualifications heading.

You also want to scan a copy of the certifications into your computer. Many employers will now allow you to upload them along with the resume/online app.

jenab in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Under the Summary of Qualifications heading.

You also want to scan a copy of the certifications into your computer. Many employers will now allow you to upload them along with the resume/online app.

I wouldn't waste much effort scanning and uploading certs; you can add extra documentation to an application but nothing is going to be verified at the start of the process. It's very easy to fake copies and scans, and it's very easy to check for valid certifications using your name and the certification number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Ok thanks. Wasn't too sure about it, good thing I just have them listed in the Qualifications heading. As for scanning them and uploading, Microsoft now charges for paper copies, all documents are digital downloads, I just use it to get the certification number, since this will be on file if they need to look it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

DavidJ in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Ok thanks. Wasn't too sure about it, good thing I just have them listed in the Qualifications heading. As for scanning them and uploading, Microsoft now charges for paper copies, all documents are digital downloads, I just use it to get the certification number, since this will be on file if they need to look it up.

The resume is going away. Many companies don't even accept them anymore or if they do, nobody reads them. lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Yerington, Nevada

35 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: The resume is going away. Many companies don't even accept them anymore or if they do, nobody reads them. lol!

Yes, there are quite a few that are using LinkedIn or Facebook (or Facebook-style)in place of resumes, but the vast majority of companies/businesses out there still use resumes or resume/application combinations. Resumes most likely will go the way of the dodo, but not in the immediate future.

35 months ago

Most of the companies out here in Utah, want resume's. IHC (Inter Mountain Healthcare) won't even look at an application unless there is a resume. But it is much easier for them to look at sites such as this one, Monster, and LinkedIn. These sites make it easier for them to get a better feel for a prospective employee. But since I need a resume, and companies still want them, it's still a good idea to have one just in case.

jenab in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

JD in Yerington, Nevada said: Yes, there are quite a few that are using LinkedIn or Facebook (or Facebook-style)in place of resumes, but the vast majority of companies/businesses out there still use resumes or resume/application combinations. Resumes most likely will go the way of the dodo, but not in the immediate future.

The resume isn't going to go away, but it's going to be a rare thing to have to print one out. I haven't had to use any printed versions of my resume since my latest job hunt began.

JD in Yerington, Nevada

35 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: The resume isn't going to go away, but it's going to be a rare thing to have to print one out. I haven't had to use any printed versions of my resume since my latest job hunt began.

I'll agree with that, certainly - the printed resume is quickly disappearing and being replaced by online resumes.

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

DavidJ in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Most of the companies out here in Utah, want resume's. IHC (Inter Mountain Healthcare) won't even look at an application unless there is a resume./QUOTE]

It may be just my industry but my experience has been just the opposite. Many sites say "A resume in lieu of an application will NOT be accepted".

If you cut and paste your resume and then have to retype it, all over again into the app, is anybody reading the resume? No, because I have submitted apps at 11:30 pm on Saturday night and on Sunday morning, I already get the rejection letter. Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

JD in Yerington, Nevada said: I'll agree with that, certainly - the printed resume is quickly disappearing and being replaced by online resumes.

You can go into any library and buy a "Killer Resume" book for a buck now from their Discard shelf. Now why is that?

jenab in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Many sites say "A resume in lieu of an application will NOT be accepted".

Two reasons why they want an application along with a resume; their Applicant Tracking System (ATS) can't parse most resumes, and they are data mining from applications. Even cleanly formatted resumes don't get parsed well, the application makes sure it does. (Whether anyone does anything useful with it is another story. IF you can circumvent that process through networking right to a hiring manager, all the better.

Bluetea in Texas said: You can go into any library and buy a "Killer Resume" book for a buck now from their Discard shelf. Now why is that?

Because few libraries have the money to stay current with their purchases, and what was a good resume even 5 years ago is obsolete today.

JD in Yerington, Nevada

35 months ago

Jenab's right - resumes now are geared more toward electronic submissions and parsing programs - and all that means is that they're electronic, vice paper. Doesn't change the fact that you need one (or several).

Other reasons they want an application along with or instead of a resume:

1: Can you follow simple directions, and
2: How thorough are you when it comes to filling out forms?

My boss, when she has to cull out applicants, will look at the resumes, then look at the applications; apps that say "See attached resume" go into the "Sorry you weren't selected" pile. Same with apps that have missing or incomplete info. Apps where someone has bothered to fill in ALL the spaces (even with a simple "N/A") are going to be considered for interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.