Need application help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Mej1 in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

41 months ago

The application form I'm filling out asks a few questions that I'm not sure how to answer.

Salary Desired (be specific) - Do I put an actual number or can I put "open?" It's an entry level job.
Hours available to work? - I can work any hours they need me to work. What is the best thing to put?
Under the prior job, they want to know what my earnings were. I was paid per hour, should I put the hourly wage? Or should I put n/a? It was a temp job (two months).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Be honest. Tell them what hours you can and cannot work. If you were paid an hourly wage, then put it down.

As far as salary goes, that's one question where they'll screen you out if you're asking for too much money. Just be honest. Tell them exactly what salary range you're looking for. All they can do is just say no.

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Richmond, Kentucky

38 months ago

In my experience, and through the career development courses I was required to complete, listing your salary requirements as "negotiable" is acceptable if the salary is not listed in the job description. If it is not listed and it is a requirement that you give a numerical response, then ensure that you do some research pertaining to the average for that specific position in the area it is available in. Also make sure you know your worth. By saying that I mean, know how much you should be making based on your experience and education backgrounds. Don't undersell yourself!!! However, if the specific salary range has been listed on the description or you have been informed of an exact amount, it is appropriate to list the salary that is quoted. Also be careful not to list your salary requirements in excess of what is considered to be logical. For example, a position for a cashier at a restaurant isn't going to make $45,000.00 on an annual basis. Assured you already know that. Just be sensible and use your best judgement.

Hope this helps ;) Good luck with the search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joyful.mami@hotmail.com in Enterprise, Alabama

14 months ago

What do I put, if anything, on a job resume during a time period that I didn't have a job and I was looking for one? I had planned on moving, but my then husband filed for divorce after I quit my job and given my landlord notice...they had already filled my position, so for a couple of months I was jobless, then I worked at a place for a couple of months, and another for a few more, then went back to a permanent position at the place I originally had quit when I was gonna move...also, will this look bad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

joyful.mami@hotmail.com in Enterprise, Alabama said: What do I put, if anything, on a job resume during a time period that I didn't have a job and I was looking for one? I had planned on moving, but my then husband filed for divorce after I quit my job and given my landlord notice...they had already filled my position, so for a couple of months I was jobless, then I worked at a place for a couple of months, and another for a few more, then went back to a permanent position at the place I originally had quit when I was gonna move...also, will this look bad?

You need to clean that up or you will look like a job hopper. You might think about leaving those short term jobs off. Course, then you will have to deal with a gap and some companies don't like that either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cara louise in Liversedge, United Kingdom

8 months ago

I'm trying to fill a job application form out in line, it's asking me to type a current salary, which I have but it keeps saying "salary out if range and salary should be in numeric" all I've put is what Iam on an hour now but it won't let me carry on with the application form - help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

8 months ago

Perhaps the site is looking for a yearly figure instead of an hourly? Instead of $10 (per hour), maybe try $20800 (per year)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

Cara louise in Liversedge, United Kingdom said: I'm trying to fill a job application form out in line, it's asking me to type a current salary, which I have but it keeps saying "salary out if range and salary should be in numeric" all I've put is what Iam on an hour now but it won't let me carry on with the application form - help

Are you putting in commas or dollar/pound signs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cara louise in Liversedge, United Kingdom

8 months ago

I've tried putting in an hourly rate/ year rate, pound signs. It's just not accepting it :/ lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

8 months ago

Some online application forms are just broken... I've run into several that caused me to simply write that job off. I guess the IT or HR staff don't realize their system is broken because they never try to use the actual application form.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

Cara louise in Liversedge, United Kingdom said: I've tried putting in an hourly rate/ year rate, pound signs. It's just not accepting it :/ lol

Don't put in pound signs. That's not a number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

8 months ago

United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

8 months ago

Cara louise in Liversedge, United Kingdom said: I'm trying to fill a job application form out in line, it's asking me to type a current salary, which I have but it keeps saying "salary out if range and salary should be in numeric" all I've put is what Iam on an hour now but it won't let me carry on with the application form - help

Save yourself the aggravation and just skip the job. Yeah, yeah, I know its your dream job. It is just not worth it.

My sister recently had to track down a package that she mailed and was confronted with the Post Office's "Voice Recognition" system. What a piece of $hit this was. She sounded like she was having a stroke. We just went down to the Post Office so we could talk to a human.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio

6 days ago

For salary desired, I always put $1.00 per hour. That way, if I get an interview, or an offer, they can tell me what they're willing to pay, and I can attempt to negotiate. If it requires me to put in an amount that's higher than that - as in thousands of dollars, I put in $10,000 per year because that's typically lower than what they could legally pay me, so they know that it's not the true number I'm seeking.

As for past salary earned, I don't submit that unless it's required. I don't want to be eliminated because a previous job paid me more than what they're willing to pay me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

6 days ago

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio said: For salary desired, I always put $1.00 per hour. That way, if I get an interview, or an offer, they can tell me what they're willing to pay, and I can attempt to negotiate. If it requires me to put in an amount that's higher than that - as in thousands of dollars, I put in $10,000 per year because that's typically lower than what they could legally pay me, so they know that it's not the true number I'm seeking.

As for past salary earned, I don't submit that unless it's required. I don't want to be eliminated because a previous job paid me more than what they're willing to pay me.

I do that too. My sister says where she works they use to see that. Now the machine puts it in the B Pile: Not processed. They never see those submissions anymore. Never.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.