Need help with resume!!! Foreign veterinary graduate no previous jobs looking to get a job as vet tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Aliya in Buffalo, New York

30 months ago

Hi everyone.
I have a degree from a foreign vet school but I didn't have a chance to work in the field and hence a lack of experience. I am looking to become a licensed vet here in the US and in the mean time I want to get a job as a vet tech for a start.
I would appreciate any help with my resume. All I have is my diploma with honors and no previous jobs.

Sincerely, Aliya.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ EasyWayResume in Roseville, California

30 months ago

Aliya,

It takes determination and persistence to get your chance but it is out there.

Some tips for you since you haven't worked previously:
- Objective: this should be the title of the position you are applying to - keep it simple
- Highlight your education including the key courses you have taken
- Include your personal skills (friendly, outgoing etc)
- Include any skills you have acquired that would be relevant
- Make sure you have your honors highlighted too

Someone will take the chance as long as you keep trying and have the right attitude.

Thanks

CJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dbates215@gmail.com in Cumming, Georgia

30 months ago

Aliya in Buffalo, New York said: Hi everyone.
I have a degree from a foreign vet school but I didn't have a chance to work in the field and hence a lack of experience. I am looking to become a licensed vet here in the US and in the mean time I want to get a job as a vet tech for a start.
I would appreciate any help with my resume. All I have is my diploma with honors and no previous jobs.

Sincerely, Aliya.

I'm a professional resume writer, however you can't get "blood from a rock". You may want to consider doing some volunteer work at a local ASPCA or something similar. That volunteer work qualifies as professional experience. A decent resume could be created off the experience that you would get. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

Aliya,

Because you have a veterinarian degree you will have no problem getting a tech position. (As long as this was a legit college) The degree should put you above any vet techs here applying for the job.

I would make an appointment with a counselor at the Dept of Labor where they probably have at least 1 office in Buffalo.

There they can help you FREE at no cost with your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dbates215@gmail.com in Cumming, Georgia

30 months ago

I've also worked in college admissions. If you go that route, you must have your foreign transcripts evaluated by an agency for equivalency. World Education Services does it. www.wes.org Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.