Resume & Cover Letter for Previous Employer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Dmnutt1 in Jefferson City, Missouri

22 months ago

I am applying for a position with a previous employer and would appreciate some advice on how to best present my resume and cover letter for this situation.

Here’s my back-story: I left this employer, a satellite campus for a private college, over a year ago. As a satellite campus and small office, there was no opportunity for advancement unless I wanted to become an academic advisor. I was not interested in the position and had been experiencing job-burnout for the last 2 years I was there (employed for a total of 3 ½). My only other option was to stay in my position until I could find something else with the main campus, however, I could not commit to a 30 minute commute at the time and I did not think my situation would change anytime in the future to allow for this to happen. So, I took a chance and resigned without having another job lined up and spent about 2 1/2 months looking for something more challenging and spent the rest of my time planning my wedding. The job I ended up taking is worse than the one I left as far as advancement opportunities and challenges. I still have friends that work with the college I quit and I left on good terms, but now I am thinking about returning to work for the main campus since I am able to handle the commute now and the college is a great place to work. The main campus has many more job opportunities. Lately, they have posting several positions that are of interest to me, but I draw a blank when I start to write my cover letter.

What would be the best way to handle my resume and cover letter? Should I mention why I left the satellite college campus or why I am looking to be employed with the college again? Is there anything I can say or do (or not say or do) to help in this situation?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your feedback!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.