Short term employment on Resume'?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

MyCon in Georgia

49 months ago

Hi Raf. O,

What did you "accomplish" during this short duration? What systems, processes or techniques were you trained with or introduced to the company? More importantly, what were your sales metrics?

If you can answer these, then I would. Unfortunately, to stay working, some people have to take short-term jobs. Even though they're short-term or contract jobs, one can still capitalize on these opportunities by focusing on the metrics - accomplished, reduced, trained or been trained, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

49 months ago

Hey look at this Displaced,

Here, I'll also agree! It's still "a job" & hopefully one "accomplished" something even during a short-duration job. Employers do want to see candidates who are "active" either through employment, (professional) affiliations associated with, training, etc. or a culmination of each.

Even candidates who may have had a 2 - 6 week job can still show something that will demonstrate (strengthened) qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

48 months ago

Corperate,

If you have Adobe Acrobat Professional, the software allows PDF files to be coveted into different formats, such as to Word documents or text files.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

48 months ago

[QUOTE who="vicque fassinge"For people that don't "pass" the 90-day trial period - they shouldn't put that experience anywhere on their resume anyway because the employer is saying to them "we tried ya out, but we don't want ya"

Hi Folks,

Here's the problem with putting no employment down. Some "contract" positions are strictly intended to be "contract" positions for a specified duration, while others are temp-to-hires. Grant it, if one has several short-term positions, particularly a few that less than 90 days, then that's a red flag to any employer.

However, for those who simply took on a 2 week or a 90 day job (just to get by) & if that was strictly the intent of the contract, then so be it. If it was intended to be a temp-to-hire opp, then it depends on the situation. One can blame employer that their "big contract" didn't come through (on time), which is the reason for not being hired, or just not state it was a temp-to-hire.

Regardless, of type of job & its duration, the résumé is supposed to demonstrate "accomplishments" & that’s all it should be the focus with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

48 months ago

Raf.O in Orlando, Florida said: Thanks for the help! After reviewing my resume, it sure seems like I can beef up that section because it reads as if I listed my responsibilities versus what I accomplished.

Raf O & Others,

Employers don't want to see a (long) list of "job responsibilities" only! Perhaps, 2 or 3 are good to have, followed by "accomplishments.

In my résumé, I will typically write a brief synopsis of job responsibilities, followed by 3 & no more than 5 bullets of accomplishments. Particularly, if one was a manager or had a lead position, then you would want to state something to the affect of:

"Led 20 person team with..."

This way, the readers sees that the candidate had some sort of lead position & it also provides some metrics (numbers) that jumps out to the reader. I personally apply a 3 /5 rule - Something I made up, but it may be out there somewhere.

Basically, have 3 -to- 5 sentences of job responsibilities, followed by 3 -to- 5 bullets of accomplishments

This format seems to work well for me & others I've assisted & avoids the "bullet happy" résumé's that some recruiters or HR often see.

Regardless, of the type of job & its duration, anyone can do this & if they do this well, the résumé can be strengthened.

Also,

"Contracting", "Short-Term" - Why bother stating it? Depending & the type of service, one may want to state who they contracted for, particularly if they're nationally recognized (respectable) company - I know- Some bozos out here think there's not such thing as a "respectable" contracting service, but there are actually quite a few.

State the client! 9 out of 10 times, they're more recognizable then the service. No - You don't want to imply that you are direct-hire of the client, if you weren't. Just simply state Client / Temp Service Name - Don't need to state "contract". The job duration will imply that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MyCon in Georgia

48 months ago

Raf O,

It's a cross between a functional & chronological résumé. Format & use of key words or phrases are key components to having your résumé found through multiple job board databases.

If done well, there's no reason that any one here can get 30 inquiries per month. Then you can filter it down to bogus one's to temps only to direct hire opps.

Half the battle for job seekers is "being found"! That résumé is suppose to get you an invite to an interview. Once there, then - You know what to do.....

However, unlike some think here, lack of follow ups can lead to no job offer. Of course, there's a culmination of components that needs to come together, but those who show a little more ambition (without begging) tend to get a little further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

djbridgeland in Manchester, New Hampshire

34 months ago

I started a contract job 2 months ago after leaving an appox 3 year contract job to cover a leave of absense at a very large corperation. It was suppose to last until Auguest. Last night I was told several changes have happened at the site and my position was being elimated. Truthfully it was not a suprise, now I'm wondering if I should list the position or not to show that I was working. In other words would it help or hurt me, with several recent longer term (1.5 and 3 year contact position).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.