Should I include this in my Resume/Cover Letter?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

thliop in Leitchfield, Kentucky

26 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am applying to an internship position, and on their desired skills section, they list they would prefer someone with experience in SolidWorks, NASTRAN, and AFGROW. I haven't submitted my application yet, but I have gone through tutorials and am pretty familiar with these programs since I know how to use Pro/E and ANSYS already, and they are somewhat similar.

Should I include in my cover letter that I have learned how to use these 3 programs? Or would that come off as a bit desperate?

Thanks for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ellen Hall in Tucson, Arizona

26 months ago

When a prospective employer says they would "prefer" someone with certain specific skills, I think it's a foregone conclusion that they are going to take a closer look at candidates who do have these skills.

I think it's a smart self-marketing move to include this proficiency in your cover letter as well as on the resume itself. It makes it much more likely that the reader is going to do exactly what you want them to do: to give greater consideration to you as a candidate.

Best of luck on the internship search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

wordsmithtress in Vail, Arizona

26 months ago

It's not desperate at all! If you have the skills and knowledge, you're one step closer to being able to slide seamlessly into the position.

Using their language about the job as much as possible in your cover letter and resume will save them the extra work of thinking through your skills and whether or not they match.

[URL Advertisement removed by Indeed Moderator]

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.