You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 360)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Resume Assistant in BH, California

77 months ago

Hey Judy,

C.J. Has some good points.

The most IMPORTANT areas you NEED to hone up are your
INTERVIEWING skills (you need to ramp up your VALUE)
and your RESUME (you need to demonstrate your VALUE
through achievements.)

Unless you are applying for a job in government or
academia, your POTENTIAL employer most likely has 15
to 20 percent more in the budget allocated to the role
than they will originally OFFER.

What's more If you present a POWERFUL campagin your
employer WILL excpect you to NEGOTIATE your salary...

Or you can NEGOTIATE other benefits such as more holidays,
better conditions etc...

You need to...

- Know the worth for your position in the marketplace.
- Breakdown how you meet the attributes requried to do
the position.
- Show how you EXCEED the qualites and DESERVE a higher
compensation package due to the extra VALUE you bring to
the role.

Go in to the inteview but be PREPARED to negotiate when
they offer you the role.

<advertisement removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

btterflylv in Boise, Idaho

77 months ago

I am feeling lost. Although I have read through all the comments (that by the way were really helpful) I am still feeling lost and overwhelmed. I would like to make a resume and I am still unsure of what to do, how to put it, or even where to begin. I am currently working part time as a phone rep, I have just started my job and I am signed up with a temp agency. I know that in todays line of work almost everyone requires a resume. I have had numerous jobs in the past but they are pretty scattered and it doesn't look good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DAwn in Brooklyn, New York

77 months ago

Judy in Forest Hills, New York said: I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years now. I have a BA in Accounting. When I left my last job I was earning 54,000 a year. Now, I am ready to return to work. Should I ask for 54k? Or should I take a pay cut to 50k? I'm really confused and have had lots of arguements with my husband of this matter. He thinks I should stick with the 54k! But I'm wondering if I get a job offer for 50k should I take it? Am I short changing myself? Help! Please, Help Me! Thank you, SAHM in Forest Hills

Hi Judy,
I am a accountant and been actively seeking a full time position for the past two years after been laid off. Since I was not finding a full time position i took consulting positions which were a month and higher and continue looking for a full time position. The salary is low that were been offered to me so I did not take accept the position the market is volatile and apparently we are out there a dime a dozen so I now decided to keep my options open. Especially since we have now a financial crisis and yes I do have a Bachelors the network of who you know is a good help. Keep positive and let them make you and offer then go from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathryn in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

76 months ago

Rivet- I am in need of a quick power resume - I have written you in the past. Your insight to others here on this post and compassion in answering me lead me straight back to your services. Is there a preferred method to speak with you so that we could organize my resume and get a final draft fairly soon. I appreciate that it is fast becoming holiday time and you may be overbooked. Please let me know of your availability soon. Thank you again for your time. Have a most wonderful day. Kindest regards, stuck on resumes in South Carolina :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rivet's Resumes in Alexandria, Louisiana

76 months ago

kathryn in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Rivet- I am in need of a quick power resume - I have written you in the past. Your insight to others here on this post and compassion in answering me lead me straight back to your services. Is there a preferred method to speak with you so that we could organize my resume and get a final draft fairly soon. I appreciate that it is fast becoming holiday time and you may be overbooked. Please let me know of your availability soon. Thank you again for your time. Have a most wonderful day. Kindest regards, stuck on resumes in South Carolina :)

Hey Kathryn,
I actually do remember you because of your name. :) Mine was spelled with an "e" and I remember talking about that. :) Anyway, I am glad to hear from you again. Please do email me at:

<contact info removed>

I am looking forward to working with you and will MAKE the time! You will be in good hands. :) And, thank you for your kind words. I love what I do and always happy to help.
Sincrely,
Olivia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

76 months ago

I am 32 years old. I had my first daughter at 17 and consider myself blessed to have been able to stay at home for almost 15 years now with 3 beautiful healthy girls. They are all in school now. I am quite bored staying at home now and financially need to go to work. I have put in many applications along with a resume that states that I have been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I put in for a job at a medical office where a friend of mine works and they actually pulled my app and called my friend into their office to find out a little about me. She told them what would normally get anybody a job there because thats how they hire (recomendations from their employees). Well her supervisor seemed to be ok with me until she looked at my employment and this is what she said to my friend,"I see that she has 14 years of no work experience". Since she told me that I have been so discouraged. I didn't even get an interview and haven't had one from any of the positions I have applied for in the past 6 months. It's like I am being punished for choosing to raise my children before starting a career. I just want a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rivet's Resumes in Alexandria, Louisiana

76 months ago

Angie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I am 32 years old. I had my first daughter at 17 and consider myself blessed to have been able to stay at home for almost 15 years now with 3 beautiful healthy girls. They are all in school now. I am quite bored staying at home now and financially need to go to work. I have put in many applications along with a resume that states that I have been a stay at home mom for 14 years. I put in for a job at a medical office where a friend of mine works and they actually pulled my app and called my friend into their office to find out a little about me. She told them what would normally get anybody a job there because thats how they hire (recomendations from their employees). Well her supervisor seemed to be ok with me until she looked at my employment and this is what she said to my friend,"I see that she has 14 years of no work experience". Since she told me that I have been so discouraged. I didn't even get an interview and haven't had one from any of the positions I have applied for in the past 6 months. It's like I am being punished for choosing to raise my children before starting a career. I just want a chance.

I am sorry to hear that this incident has brought down your confidence level. It can be a challenge getting back into the workforce. But, please don’t get discouraged. You have a lot of skills and strengths that will be beneficial to any company. If you want, I can take a look at your resume for you and give you my professional opinion (you mentioned you already had one). Sometimes the magic is in the layout and the format to focus on what you do have, your professional strengths and filling in those “gaps.” You WERE blessed to be able to stay home with your children, so don’t allow this experience to make you feel otherwise. But, you can be blessed again with a job that suits you with where you are in your life now as well. :) Keep your head up. What you want can be obtained! I help SAHM get there every

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dovey in Saint Louis, Missouri

76 months ago

Cathy Weatherred in O Fallon, Missouri said: You charge about half. What does that equate to?

I have not worked in ten years. I have stayed home with my three kids. I don't even remember the correct years and dollar volumes of the jobs I had (sales) and I am at a loss as to where to begin with a resume.
Please advise.

Thanks,
Cathy Weatherred

My suggestion is...when re-entering the work force...know as many computer software programs as you can and know them well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJV in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

Volunteer work counts, too. Sometimes you have to get creative.

sgv in Sugar Land, Texas

76 months ago

I have tears in my eyes as I post this because it seems hopeless if not foolish to think I can reenter the workforce after staying home and raising two wonderful, intelligient and loving sons. I am 56 and have been a SAHM for the past 25 yrs. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE and appreciate my husband for working hard so that I could stay home. My older son graduated from college in May 2007 and my youngest son started college in August 2007. The economy, boredom and the fact that my youngest wants to go to law school in two years has convinced me that I need a job...fast! I've taught myself Word and Excel and I'm getting ready to tackle Powerpoint. I am healthy and physically fit and eager to learn new things. I've just started my search and would love to hear any suggestions. Before becoming a SAHM, I worked for 16 years as a receptionist, secretary and my last position was that of administrative assistant. I was a volunteer at my sons' schools during the past 18 years and have helped my husband with his business. I'm hopeful that I can still be a relevant part of society and that I won't be penalized for raising two wonderful kids and helping hundreds of kids whose moms did work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sj in Gresham, Oregon

76 months ago

I just stumbled across this and it's both encouraging and discouraging to read! I've been at home with my two kids for 10 years. I returned to school a year ago to work toward my BS, but my husband just lost his job and I am now looking for paid employment to go on top of everything else. I'm looking forward to reading more from others like me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Tomball, Texas in Spring, Texas

76 months ago

Sher in Perth, Australia said: I am feeling so discounted right now! I think I have been kidding myself thinking that I was valued as a mother, as now that the time has come for the kids to enter into pre-school, the whole world seems to be asking me "when are you getting back to work?" They say things like "you must be so bored", "how do you stand it", "what do you do all day", and I am actually flabergasted by their assumptions that I am yearning to get back into the work force. I am not! Not only do I lose the time with my kids, but my life will become totally crazy as I try to keep up with 5 kids, a new job, keeping the house clean and groceries bought and, oh yes, being available to entertain my husband after working all day at a 'job' and then working all evening with the house and kids. I am so pissed off! One of my idols is my Grandmother, passed away now, that she stayed home with her family for her whole life. At any time they could walk through that door and she would be there to listen, to feed, to encourage, to help. And her family appreciated this, and recognized it as a dying trade- that of family care. Well, those days are long gone, and it is off to the headhunters I go, to find "value" in myself.

I know exactly how you feel. I am worried that when my kids get sick who stays home....I'll be fired if it happens in the first few months of employment. Nobody in my house knows how any of the common appliances work ie: stove, dishwasher, washing machine ect. They don't know where the grocery store is located, or they would like me to believe that! I don't even want to go back to work, I enjoy the job I have. How do I tell my husband this without sounding lazy? I had kids to raise them not pay somebody else to do it for me. So now I am facing to full time jobs, on my day off it will be sent catching up and waiting on my tired family, who just needs a day off! grrr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut

76 months ago

Hello everyone, Thank you for joining the Indeed forums! While we appreciate the exchange of advice and resources, we ask that you not promote or offer commercial services here. In accordance with our policies, any solicitation and contact information will be removed. If you need to communicate with each other, please keep all information with in your user profile. Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

octink in Laguna Hills, California

76 months ago

after reading through two pages of advice, I'm still as lost as ever.

Here I am 35 years old, recently divorced after 15 years, 2 teenage daughters at home, been a sahm for 18 years, currently enrolled in nursing school and it seems the best I can come up with is.... well, nothing. I've searched for sample resumes geared towards the sahm mom and nothing. I loved caring and raising our daughters and wouldn't trade it for the world, but recently I'm feeling I've ruined my life and now theirs. I've spent the last 2 years fighting the x in court for support, which I've been given a fair amount but getting him to pay is a whole other issue, so that in itself has felt like a full time job, paperwork, filing, researching back to the dark depths of your life. I've been looking on craigslist for some very simple office work at local Dr. offices, I found a few that would be great in a P/T setting, allowing me to continue my education and still maintain my role as a single mom and the only transportation for the girls. Problem is, even these simple jobs are requesting a resume. If I had the means to pay for a service, there is no doubt I would, but I simply don't. So my question is.... out of all the stay at home moms who have returned to the workforce after a lifetime of caring for your children has anyone put a sample resume online to give those of us lost in a fog a starting ground? I've found every type of resume out there except for one that helps us moms. In my situation I did spend the last 6 years not only caring for our children along with the raising of my twin brothers through the foster care system but my work experience is mainly composed of being the silent backbone to helping build the x's corp. Taking care of the administrative aspects (phones, billing, appt., filing) only thing is I could never put the x as a contact on my resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Pourfarid in Woodland Hills, California

76 months ago

Hi
I saw that read your comments to be available to assist a mom like myself returning to the work force. I have no intensions to not be honest about what I have done in the last 16 years. I can send my resume to you and I would very much appreciate your honest opinion regards to the format and the vibiage. I appreciate you time and interest in advance.
Sincerely,
Crystal~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care. Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?
Any other tips on learning how to apply online for jobs? This is all new to me.

Hi,
I am returning back to work after 16 plus years with children ages 16, 14 and 7. I'd like to ask your opinion in regards to my Resume and the vibiage I used. I did type it without help of resume writing company or person and would like to knoe if it is in an professional format. Thank you in advance for your input.
Thank you, Crystal

76 months ago

Good Evening Olivia,
I just finished sending my Resume to a few places. I am sending my Resume. I would like your honest opinion form a professional business woman & "now f/t mommy" :) Thank you again for your time!
Sincerely,
Crystal

Melin in Howard, Ohio

76 months ago

Sher in Perth, Australia said: I am feeling so discounted right now! I think I have been kidding myself thinking that I was valued as a mother, as now that the time has come for the kids to enter into pre-school, the whole world seems to be asking me "when are you getting back to work?" They say things like "you must be so bored", "how do you stand it", "what do you do all day", and I am actually flabergasted by their assumptions that I am yearning to get back into the work force. I am not! Not only do I lose the time with my kids, but my life will become totally crazy as I try to keep up with 5 kids, a new job, keeping the house clean and groceries bought and, oh yes, being available to entertain my husband after working all day at a 'job' and then working all evening with the house and kids. I am so pissed off! One of my idols is my Grandmother, passed away now, that she stayed home with her family for her whole life. At any time they could walk through that door and she would be there to listen, to feed, to encourage, to help. And her family appreciated this, and recognized it as a dying trade- that of family care. Well, those days are long gone, and it is off to the headhunters I go, to find "value" in myself.

I am a Stay at Home Mom w/ 1 year old & 4 year old who saw an old friend in the store the other day. When I told her I was staying home with the kids she said I thought you were working at **. I said I had been but I quit to stay home with the kids. Why? was her response and she gave me a look as though I was crazy!! What's really funny is this person has 6 kids!! Staying at home is harder than any of the other jobs I've ever had in my life. It is not EASY to stay home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

choctawmicmac in Norwalk, California

75 months ago

I have been a stay-at home for the past 5 years and counting, and it wasn't because we had any kids but just because I couldn't find a job in these tough times. I lost one because of my personal credit and things just went downhill from there, and just decided that it was getting too hard to overcome that kind of thing, plus the lack of positive references from that employer that for the first few years prevented me from getting anything but temp agency jobs...and then only at a temp agency that I had already been signed up with in the previous decade, so that I was already in their system and on the payroll. We decided that that was easier on both of us than for me to constantly deal with the job market. So I am one of the few women out there who opted out of a really bad job market for reasons other than the presence of children. However, he only made minimum-wage and was only working part-time at that, making the relationship short-lived - compared to some that last 10 or more years. I wonder how much harder it would be for someone whose marriage or relationship had hasted 20 years or 35 years or even 50 years, to suddenly find herself alone and without a paycheck and also an "outdated" college degree. I got my Bachelor's in 1997 which is really not that long ago, but because of the decade since I graduated plus the 5 and counting years' worth of doing "nothing" except what I term "household management" on my resume, I get passed over for everything I apply for. Even grocery-store bag clerk and typist clerk positions pass me over. I still type 80 wpm and still have tested out as "expert" on all the recent computer software products at the only two temp agencies that will give me the time of day, Manpower and Kelly. It has been my experience that most temp agencies won't give a displaced stay-at-home woman the time of day in this economy any more than they will take students or recent college graduates without any work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Anthony in Woodland, Washington

75 months ago

??? Huh? Was that English? Are you referring to me or someone else?

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You are wrong to shill your business on these free fora to the detriment of Indeed's paid advertisers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

wendelyn in Cleveland, Ohio

75 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. This is a supportive forum for people thinking of returning to work. Any help is appreciated.

75 months ago

Hello Everyone, Thank you for joining the Indeed forums. We appreciate and encourage the exchange of advice here but do not allow this space to be used for commercial communications. If you would like to advertise on Indeed.com, please contact us at Sales@indeed.com. Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need help re entering the work field in Indianapolis, Indiana

74 months ago

Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana said: NEED a RESUME?!...I am a new stay at home mom, but started writing professional resumes on the side. I have a masters in Human Resouces and would be glad to help fellow stay at home moms/dads who are looking to go back into the workforce. I write power resumes, so contact me for assistance. I charge about half what you'll find elsewhere, with the same quality! :) <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>

Hi, my name is Sapphira and I have been a stay at home mom since I have been married which is the last three in a half years. I am currently going back to school and I am looking for part time work in the professional field. I am having a little trouble trying to find the right approach to incorporate the skills I have learned being at home. Could you please help me with my resume so that I can land a great career? What is price and how do we get started?

Susan in Shreveport, Louisiana

74 months ago

Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana said: NEED a RESUME?!...I am a new stay at home mom, but started writing professional resumes on the side. I have a masters in Human Resouces and would be glad to help fellow stay at home moms/dads who are looking to go back into the workforce. I write power resumes, so contact me for assistance. I charge about half what you'll find elsewhere, with the same quality! :) <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>

Help!! I am in need of a resume. I have been at home for 20 years but have my teacher's certification in MATH EDUCATION. I know there are jobs out there but am clueless about resume writing in my situation.Susan

lynn in Valencia, California

74 months ago

sandy in Sharpsburg, Georgia said: I've bben having my Mom help me who works for a big financial company and she was the one how told me about not having a gap. I used the title of Stay at home and wrote Stay at home mom dates and under that I went into job descripition and I wrote it out in a paragragh from because I couldn't come up with bullets.This is what I came up with so for hope it helps Maintained all finacial records for accounts payable and recievables. Ensured accurate and timely scheduling of all appointments Detailed oriented with the ablitiy to multitask, works well under pressure, and capable of meeting all deadlines

great info!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

In accordance with our terms of service, any comments posted that include advertisements or offers for commercial services will be removed. Please help us maintain a professional and educational environment here for the benefit of all our users. Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taxvictim in Ottawa, Ontario

74 months ago

HI there
I haven't worked in so long, but I have a goal. I want to work at the North Pole with husband. There is a job coming up for a person to do the ordering from down south. You know, snacks, groceries, necessities.
While I have worked (from 15 to 24) and again for a few years on and off in my 30's.....my resume could be carved in stone!
I have a diploma from college in Human Resources (graduating in 1979), I worked as a store clerk in a few stores, an Assistant Manager of a clothing store, a Manager of a Bar in Alberta. I was the head of book buying (paperbacks) in WH SMITH in my 20's. I worked on assembly lines for Northern Telecom and Autosytems......but I have not worked in almost 11 years (I think). It's been so long I forget the dates.
What do you suggest I do....I really want to work at the North Pole.

ANY ideas would be appreciated.

thanks
MJ

JenW in Bel Air, Maryland

74 months ago

Only go to work if you have to. Don't go just because people assume that you need something to do now that your kids are off to school. If you do this with out a willing heart then it will just be a matter of time until it effects you in a negitive way, and soon after your fanily..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

kerry in Shreveport, Louisiana

74 months ago

JenW in Bel Air, Maryland said: Only go to work if you have to. Don't go just because people assume that you need something to do now that your kids are off to school. If you do this with out a willing heart then it will just be a matter of time until it effects you in a negitive way, and soon after your fanily..

Thank you for the comments.I would rather stay home but my Husband does not think that I have accomplished very much these past twenty Years. He thinks I owe it to him to go earn some money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

74 months ago

I think you stay at home mothers are terrific!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for all that you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

RD in Mendham, New Jersey

74 months ago

I am a stay at home mom for 12 years and I need to create a resume to get back into the workforce. I have a Masters degree in Finance but I am in the process of switching fields to become a registered dietician and am enrolled in school again. I need to put my life on a resume but I do not know where to begin. How much do you charge for a resume and do you have any samples?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

JenW in Bel Air, Maryland said: Only go to work if you have to. Don't go just because people assume that you need something to do now that your kids are off to school. If you do this with out a willing heart then it will just be a matter of time until it effects you in a negitive way, and soon after your fanily..

I am so sorry that you feel that way. I wish you didn't have to feel like that. Being a stay at home mom is hard work in itself! Maybe you could convince your husband that a work from home job would be good. I used to do a legitimate work from home job when I first had my daughter. It was really easy and on the phone. Kind of like when you call in to those infomercials, they had agents on the other line answering well they trained me to be one of those agents. I did it for about six months. It was a lot of fun Maybe you could find something like that? Then you could pick your hours (maybe work while the kids are in school) and then when they're home you could spend time with them.

TiaP in Mcdonough, Georgia

74 months ago

Thank you very much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Actually that is terrible advice. If you do not include dates of employment most employers will not even consider you. I have been in Human Resources for ten years and I sit on the other side of the table and interview and review thousands of resumes a year. I would never call someone back that did not put employment dates on a resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Employment dates show stability, work ethic, and years of experience. All things important in any hiring decision. And yes resumes are used to weed out the not so great candidates and focus on the better ones. Staying home to raise children for six years does not make you a bad candidate or exclude you from being interviewed. I can't help what "other" HR professionals do, but in my book that isn't a negative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

It doesn't matter if it wasn't recent you should still include it on your resume. If you don't include it, it looks like you're trying to hide something. It is not a game of exclusion but my job is to decide who would be the best fit for the position and I'm sorry but 40 hours a week does not afford me the time to interview EVERY SINGLE CANDIDATE who send me a resume. There isn't enough time in a year to do that. That is why there are certain standards I chose to focus on when reviewing resumes and it really sounds like you have had some terrible experiences with some really bad HR people. I am trying to be inclusive and take into consideration long absences from employment, look past it, give the candidate a change to explain and interview anyway you are the one trying to misconstrue what I have said like I am trying to exclude this person from employment altogether. Maybe you should calm down for a minute, get off your high-horse and reread what I advised the lady to do. I said include the dates whether recent or not and I would still interview the person and give them the opportunity to explain what they've been doing the last six years. I'm sorry if that hasn't been your experience but maybe you shouldn't try to take it out on other people. That may be why you're not getting interviews. Not your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Have you ever thought maybe you are just upset that you're displaced instead of just taking it out on me for being honest about how I conduct my HR work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi Everyone, Please remember to keep all comments on topic. We appreciate the advice and experiences you share here, but we ask that you not engage in personal attacks or debates. Thank you for helping us keep this a professional and informative environment. Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hi
I would like to comment as well as share some of my thoughts on this. I'd like to say I have 3 ages 16 1/2, 14, and our last 7 years old. I previously was in the business world of insurance and I have been an SAHM since my oldest was born and I decided that I did not want my children to be raied by a babysitter. I enjoyed so much being there and investing time in the next generation because, that is what we do as SAHM's. You don't need anyone else's approval at all. You are worth "much". I tried and pursued returning to the work force when our Country and economy and everything was better around 2001. I believe that it is more greater to stay home and invest in our babies lives "The Next Generation" rather than me :)

wendelyn in Cleveland, Ohio

74 months ago

Hi There! So did you decide to return to work back when the economy was doing better? I am a SAHM to 3 boys, and often think of returning to work someday.

stellaluna in Belmont, California

73 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care. Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?

it can be very helpful to quantify all the child-related volunteer activities that you participated in while you stayed home. Were you involved in PTA, scouting, sports team, cooperative childcare centers,etc? Each of those roles involves tasks that are exactly like the tasks in "real " job. Think in terms of "managed multi-year awards program for local spots team" or "created a budgeting process to simplify reimbursements for Parent-teacher association. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KenSage in Eugene, Oregon

73 months ago

Hi Jewels,
Before my internet business I was an employer in the construction industry and I found that women with children or stay at home moms are excellent multi-taskers, very responsible, easy to get along with, and can see the bigger picture.
It probably depends on who you apply with but for me your child care experience would be a plus in the hiring cycle.
Best of luck
Talk soon
Ken
PS.there's no gap in your work history. Kids are work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faylene in Cary, North Carolina

73 months ago

I have been a stay at home wife, and a mom, looking to go back into the world of working to help my husband. This is frietning to me, I feel like I have no skills, or I'm not sure I can remember places worked or dates or salarys. Where do you begin to start if your not looking to work in a grocery store. I want a job that matters. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janeen Snell in York, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I am a teacher's assistant working part-time but now need a full-time position for financial reasons. I am researching writing a resume. I have one written but was told by a friend I need to hilight my skills and state how I stand out. Well that stumped me! Not sure how to do that! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

73 months ago

Great ideas. Thanks for your input.

73 months ago

Thanks for your help. I'll consider that service.

twin1 in Memphis, Tennessee

72 months ago

What is another way to say stay-at-home mom when filling out a job application. It has just occurred to me that this is harder than it looks and this is the first time I had to do this. I have no problem listing my duties and responsibilities. I just want to know if there is more professional way of listing them on my application.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nickybellamommy in Chino, California

72 months ago

I have been a stay at home mom for 3 years and I need to return to the workforce. How much do you charge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DEKoehler

71 months ago

Hello,
My name is Donna and I am a stay at home Mom and am looking to go back to work. I have a resume written professionally but I believe it's not the right one for me. I would love to get your opionion and maybe have you re-write it for me. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

naomi in Valencia, California

71 months ago

yes I am looking for a legitmate work at home...desprate...please..homeless and out of work..thank you

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.