Stay at Home Mom Needs Resume Tips for Returning to Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 361)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

naomi in Valencia, California

68 months ago

yes I am looking for a legitmate work at home...desprate...please..homeless and out of work..thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Port Jervis, New York

68 months ago

I have read through the threads and so far nothing has struck me. I have been home since June 2005 due to there is no employment. Since that time I married, my husband and I purchased a house and we have been working on the house together. I have also taken up some computer software courses to freshen up my skills. My dilemna is how to explain June 2005 to present. My previous experience is secretarial, do it yourself construction and landscaping - how do I tie this in? I thought of calling my time a sabbatical or should it be home manager? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

yerfdog123

68 months ago

This has been so helpful! I do not feel so helpless after reading these comments! Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yolene Jerome in Silver Spring, Maryland

68 months ago

Hi,

I would like to find out more about your services ... prices, etc ... please contact me!

contact me @ yrejouit@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PLRC in Holden, Massachusetts

67 months ago

sgv in Sugar Land, Texas said: I have tears in my eyes as I post this because it seems hopeless if not foolish to think I can reenter the workforce after staying home and raising two wonderful, intelligient and loving sons. I am 56 and have been a SAHM for the past 25 yrs. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE and appreciate my husband for working hard so that I could stay home. My older son graduated from college in May 2007 and my youngest son started college in August 2007. The economy, boredom and the fact that my youngest wants to go to law school in two years has convinced me that I need a job...fast! I've taught myself Word and Excel and I'm getting ready to tackle Powerpoint. I am healthy and physically fit and eager to learn new things. I've just started my search and would love to hear any suggestions. Before becoming a SAHM, I worked for 16 years as a receptionist, secretary and my last position was that of administrative assistant. I was a volunteer at my sons' schools during the past 18 years and have helped my husband with his business. I'm hopeful that I can still be a relevant part of society and that I won't be penalized for raising two wonderful kids and helping hundreds of kids whose moms did work.

Your life parallels mine almost perfectly. I am about 2 years behind you with my sons' graduations. I have volunteered for my sons schools from pre-school to HS. I have done everything from coordinating carnivals to craftfairs to semi-formal galas and silent auctions. I have done fundraising, substitute teaching, CCD, PTO president, School Boards, Parent Associations and more. I too have LOVED every second of my life and am more than grateful for the support from my sons and my husband. Before choosing to be a SAHM, my career in the insurance industry varied from customer service to direct sales to sales training to Human Resources in 10 years. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated as I look to re-entering the working force.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ahlorenz@att.net in Wilmington, North Carolina

67 months ago

I am a stay at home mom for 14 years re-entering the work force. Prior work history was sales and customer service skills in a variety of industries 9 of those years straight commission which I have no interest in going back to. I have put together a rough draft resume with Summary qualifications not sure if I should put dates on professional experience that are well over 14 years old. would love your advice and fee to look at my resume.Please email me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ahlorenz@att.net in Wilmington, North Carolina

67 months ago

Thank you, I believe I did a combination one. I put my Summary of qualifications at top with Professional at bottom and then education. Do you believe I need a objective on what I am looking for. Also every thing I have read says to put in the cover letter that I was a stay at home mom. Do you agree and do I put the amount of years?

Thanks for your reply.

Annie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Critterperson in Elmhurst, Illinois

65 months ago

I too am a sahm, but was employed for a short time in 2005 (6 months) Unfortunately I was terminated from that position (the supervisor and I DID NOT see eye to eye) I took over a position that was formerly done by another employee that was promoted. When I started the position was 6 months behind, when I was terminated it was caught up- I was warned by other employees that "you are paid by the hour, not the piece"---I thought it was a joke, well apparently not, the person I replaced was best buds with my supervisor and having caught up the position that apparently had been behind for the previous 2 years put me on the bad list:( What do I do? Now I am a Sahm and have a "termination" on my resume:( I worked before being a sahm (6 years with a large company as their trainer, the plant closed down and I found out I was pregnant with my first right before they closed the doors forever), and earned an associated degree in 2003 (in less than a year with a 3.7+ GPA) but I don't know how to address the flop job, and then my sahm on top of it:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Woodstock, Georgia

65 months ago

Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana said: NEED a RESUME?!...I am a new stay at home mom, but started writing professional resumes on the side. I have a masters in Human Resouces and would be glad to help fellow stay at home moms/dads who are looking to go back into the workforce. I write power resumes, so contact me for assistance. I charge about half what you'll find elsewhere, with the same quality! :) <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>

I have been out of the work field for 10 years now, but have extensive volunteer experience. Any help would be so appreciated. I would love a sample resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Pulaski, New York

65 months ago

Eek...I've been a stay at home mom for the past 15 years and have ZERO college credits/degrees. I've worked 4 years through this part time during summer months and christmas vacation for a wealthy family as their private housekeeper at their vacation home. This literally is the extent of my work experience. I've got my highschool diploma and thats it...what happened to the days when there was pride in having this?
My company my husband works for claimed bankruptcy and there is a very real possibility the plant could close. He's been the sole support for our family all this time. We just bought a new house! I'm seriously feeling tremendous pressure to go to work but where? How? With who? I know I shouldn't be choosey but A. not only will it not pay the bills but B. there is no pride in it...I just don't want to work at mcdonalds or flop burgers at burger king.
Oh and I've felt worse after reading this forum because I never volunteered for anything! I was too busy trying to run this household and take care of everything here...made the mistake of establishing my role a long time ago and other than go to work hubby does NOTHING around the house. All up to me. I can't even put that down on my resume, volunteer work ugh.
I want to have some sort of job with a sense of pride because to be quite honest even though I think what I did was and is the most important job in the world it totally has zapped me of my sense of self worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in High Springs, Florida

65 months ago

Hi Susan,

Please don't fret too much. I'm a hiring manager and I've hired people before with no corporate world experience for entry-level positions. I'm not sure what you consider worthy work but you could start out as a receptionist answering phones or even try something at home. There are several companies that are legitimate work from home opportunities. When I stayed home with my daughter I worked for a company called West at home and I could pretty much work whenever I wanted. It was telephone work processing orders for clients or giving them information about certain topics. There is also a company called Convergys that is hiring work from home agents and they offer full benefits; medical, dental, tuition reimbursement, short term disability.

Above all, it's not too late to start volunteering, some other ideas maybe substitute teaching? Most places require a high school diploma only and there is always a need for substitute teachers and you would be doing something fulfilling.

I also write resumes on the side and my suggestion would be for you to utilize an entry-level resume with an objective. I usually don't recommend that to job seekers but if you don't have any experience to put on your resume you need to be able to say what it is you want to do.

Also, think of places you can apply where a resume isn't necessarily required: retail stores are a good place to start. Think about what you enjoy doing (gardening, fashion, electronics, books) and then apply at stores that cater to that interest. Then you'll be more interested in going to work. Turnover is high in retail so you can move up fast and no degree is needed.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in High Springs, Florida

65 months ago

ahlorenz@att.net in Wilmington, North Carolina said: Thank you, I believe I did a combination one. I put my Summary of qualifications at top with Professional at bottom and then education. Do you believe I need a objective on what I am looking for. Also every thing I have read says to put in the cover letter that I was a stay at home mom. Do you agree and do I put the amount of years?

Thanks for your reply.

Annie

Hi Annie,

I'm a hiring manager and professional resume writer and I would not recommend an objective. You can put in your cover letter the position you are applying to so HR professionals will know where to put you. Objective statements are a dated practice in resume writing. Using a career summary will serve you much better because it will allow those all important keywords to be in your resume and express what you are 'qualified to do' not just what you want to do which is what an objective does. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help any further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patti in San Mateo, California

65 months ago

Susan in Pulaski, New York said: Eek...I've been a stay at home mom for the past 15 years and have ZERO college credits/degrees. I've worked 4 years through this part time during summer months and christmas vacation for a wealthy family as their private housekeeper at their vacation home. This literally is the extent of my work experience. I've got my highschool diploma and thats it...what happened to the days when there was pride in having this?
My company my husband works for claimed bankruptcy and there is a very real possibility the plant could close. He's been the sole support for our family all this time. We just bought a new house! I'm seriously feeling tremendous pressure to go to work but where? How? With who? I know I shouldn't be choosey but A. not only will it not pay the bills but B. there is no pride in it...I just don't want to work at mcdonalds or flop burgers at burger king.
Oh and I've felt worse after reading this forum because I never volunteered for anything! I was too busy trying to run this household and take care of everything here...made the mistake of establishing my role a long time ago and other than go to work hubby does NOTHING around the house. All up to me. I can't even put that down on my resume, volunteer work ugh.
I want to have some sort of job with a sense of pride because to be quite honest even though I think what I did was and is the most important job in the world it totally has zapped me of my sense of self worth.

I cried as I read this. This is me, and I don't know what to do. I need to go back to work, but have been a SAHM for 19 years! I don't know where to start and my self-worth is Zero! I know that raising my 3 kids was the most important job, but now I need to go to work, and am lost. What do I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in pulaski-don't know why it says in Central Square, New York

65 months ago

Patti in San Mateo, California said: I cried as I read this. This is me, and I don't know what to do. I need to go back to work, but have been a SAHM for 19 years! I don't know where to start and my self-worth is Zero! I know that raising my 3 kids was the most important job, but now I need to go to work, and am lost. What do I do?

God I feel so bad for making you cry! Trust me I so know how you feel but I want to give you some hope. I applied (and got) a position for a local cleaning company. OK so one might wonder where the pride comes from when scrubbing toilets BUT the pay is $12/hr plus gas mileage and the occassional tip so that qualifies to me. Its NOT a minimum wage job flipping burgers, I DON'T have to wait on customers and I basically do the same darn thing I already do at home but get paid for it! I just wanted to let you know there is hope and if you have the confidence in yourself and your ability in the interview it comes through to the person that is is doing the hiring. Chin up and good luck in your job hunting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

toni in Fairfax, Virginia

64 months ago

I, myself, as you all have been a SAHM. I have been for about 9 years now. I am interested in being a Instructional Assistant at my child's school. But I am having problems on what to write on a cover letter. I have volenteered for lots: ball team, home room mom, Cub Scout leader, ect. However my problem is how to put this in a cover letter. How do I start? Also how, do I enter that on my resume as well? Thanks for any advice. I think this is a great site..

Dismayed in Brisbane, Australia

64 months ago

Hi, I'm desperate and would appreciate any help at all if anyone would like to help me with my resume? So far its completely disjointed.

I've been a SAHM for nine years now and desperately need to gain employment. I've made it to every excursion, PE swimming lesson and participated in classroom reading, and even managed football teams. Unfortunately none of that comes across well in a resume, leaving a huge career gap and making me look like a desperate fool.

I used to do reception and admin work. My confidence is at an all time low.

Seeking to put 'something' down on my resume and gaining a little confidence, I decided to apply for some volunteer administation work, for a charity to discover that even charities require you to provide at least two references FROM THE PAST FIVE YEARS.

I know for a fact the last two business I worked at no longer exist so that leaves me reference-less.

I'm screwed. I don't even know where to begin getting back into the work place!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

64 months ago

Your references do not need to be employer. You are not looking for a professional job - just an entry level job doing something - so being SAHM is fine.

Look at sample resumes on the Internet. Start yours out the same way. (Name, address, phone). Then do past employment.

Then do accomplishments. Try to make your accomplishments shine.

If and when you get an interview, provide personal references at that time. Almost every single woman who is a mommy has work gaps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dismayed in Australia

64 months ago

Dewey Kearney in Glendale, Arizona said: To be perfectly honest (I presume you want honesty) your best bet is through networking - friends, family, church, clubs, anyone who will talk with you for 5 minutes you need to tell them. Jobs are scarce but someone may know someone who knows someone etc. Well you get the picture, tell everyone, maybe even get creative and have a name tag made that says - My name is ___ and I need a job.
Dewey Kearney
www.ResumeHelpBlog.com

I appreciate your reply regarding networking freinds, but wearing a tag saying My name is _____ and I need a job is demeaning and hardly constructive for anything but embarrasment and if your aim is to make SAHM's feel belittled, you've succeeded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Actually, it was probably to be funny. We all need it.

How do you think we feel? Every single one of us has been in the work force for YEARS. Many of us have college degrees and student loans.

And we are unemployed, collecting unemployment benefits, welfare, food stamps, no medical insurance. We worry about we're going to pay the mortgage/rent, how much we can spend at the grocery store, do we have enough gas in the car, if we see someone eating a nice meal are we going to stare.

My financial life, that I spent 30 years building is ruined. Thank's to Obama's $25.00 in my UB I no longer qualify for food stamps. I budgeted $15.00 for food yesterday (milk, bread, lettuce, tomato, orange juice). No meat. I drank a third of the oj out in the parking lot.

WE feel embarrassed and belittled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

If someone would give us a job, if they know - um, when I go for a job interview, they know. If that statement were true, then we wouldn't have 11 percent unemployment in most places, 20 percent in Detroit or California areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

helper in Riverside, New Jersey

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I'll advise you for free on this public board, as opposed to the "professionals" who are using this forum to close business.

Don't put your dates of employment on your resume. You have the experience and can do the job, but with dates it will come across as stale.

I'd suggest you try a functional resume. Place your employers at the bottom and give your total years with each one. You can leave off employers for whom you worked only briefly. Put your total years of experience in your Summary section.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your job search.

I have hired over 100 exempt managers in the last 12 months alone. All I will say is that this is the WORST resume advice I have ever heard. I suggest speaking to a PROFESSIONAL resume writer/career coach on advice on writing an effective resume.
No dates on employment history tells an employer one thing. JOB HOPPER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MoM in Cordova, Tennessee

64 months ago

Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana said: NEED a RESUME?!...I am a new stay at home mom, but started writing professional resumes on the side. I have a masters in Human Resouces and would be glad to help fellow stay at home moms/dads who are looking to go back into the workforce. I write power resumes, so contact me for assistance. I charge about half what you'll find elsewhere, with the same quality! :) <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>

What is your fee? I have been at home for the past 12yrs and I am looking for part-time work. Need to get a great resume together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

helper in Riverside, New Jersey said: I have hired over 100 exempt managers in the last 12 months alone. All I will say is that this is the WORST resume advice I have ever heard. I suggest speaking to a PROFESSIONAL resume writer/career coach on advice on writing an effective resume.
No dates on employment history tells an employer one thing. JOB HOPPER

Helper: You say exempt managers. You mean salesmen?

Olivia Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Helper: You say exempt managers. You mean salesmen?

I think she means exempt vs. non-exempt. She is on track!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

helper in Riverside, New Jersey

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Helper: You say exempt managers. You mean salesmen?

Hi Mary,

Exempt meaning salaried, not hourly. You know, the exempt ones are the employees we can pressure into working more for no additional compensation.

Mariko in Folsom, California

63 months ago

I have loved being a career Mom all my life, but now my three children
are on the cusp of going to college, I need to aid in paying tuition.
I have a BA in design, two years at a prestigious art school, & two years
pre-med classes. While raising my kids I worked with kids of prisoners,
coordinated all chaperoned trips at the high school, and had a season of
caring for an AIDs patient in my home...

I am baffled as to how I should present myself in a resume. Any help you
could give would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah in Minneapolis, Minnesota

63 months ago

Hi, I was curious to know how you worded things without using the word, "volunteer"?

Diane in Vancouver, British Columbia

63 months ago

A good piece advice on dealing with employment gaps and so forth. Definitely don't try to hide it on your resume, since they will only find out during the interview or reference checks.

If you have not already, consider getting a volunteer job in the in term. It will improve your resume by showing you are currently employed as opposed to your first job listing with dates from a few years ago. Nothing like currently employed to make your resume look more desirable.

videtichj in Bellevue, Nebraska

63 months ago

I would really appreciate some help with my resume. I am going back to work after staying at home with three kids, oldest 11 and twins six in December! I am having difficulty getting employment and I think it is my resume. I have a Bachelor's Degree in health care admin with no experience. I would appreciate any help.

RS in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

63 months ago

Hi,
I am software engineer and have 9 years of IT experience. After my delivery I stopped working and its been 4 years now.I am eager to work but dont know what should I show in my resume. My friends who are working says that nobody will even interview me if they see that I was at home. What should I do..Any suggestions please?
Thanks in advance,

Autumn in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

Hello ALL...I graduated from College in 2005 and I've worked 1 job since then that was related to my field. I was only there for about 6 mos. and had to leave because of a ill family member. But, since I graduated, I've home-schooled my children, started and ran a jewelry business part-time, and volunteered as a mentor. How do I list all of this on my resume? Any ideas? And thank you so much for taking your precious time to read this! Please do respond with any useful suggestions.

Steel City Resumes in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

It seems like you have been very busy while not "working". I recently reviewed a resume from someone that was in a similar situation as you. If I were you, I would make a list of everything you have been doing at home. You can come up with a creative title such as "Household Manager". List the date you have held this position since. Under the title include your responsibilites such as created budget for family, home schooled children, volunteered, created jewerly business to supplement income, etc. I hope this helps. If anyone has any other questions about resumes, interviews, finding a job, I would be more than happy to help!

Steel City Resumes in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

From my experience, I would go for the more creative name. You want to try and get the recruiter's attention and "stand out from the crowd".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sneez in Fort Bragg, North Carolina

63 months ago

I have been a SAHM for over 14 years, with just a part time job working around my husbands schedule at a pizza place during that first year. I have also been a homeschooling Mom for 13 years and a military wife for almost 8. My husband is getting close to time to get out and I am wanting to find a job to help pay our mortgage while he looks for a job and goes to college. I have done some volunteer work over the years between cub scouts, vacation bible schools (ran it one summer), and a thrift store at one of our overseas posts. My most recent volunteering was done overseas, and I am not even sure how to contact the people that I did it with there. The most recent volunteer work that I can contact people from is from a bit over 3 years ago.

I know I have been busy, but no idea of how to turn my busy life outside of the workforce into a resume. I am not wanting to go back 13+ years to show a work history, and since I no longer am wanting fast food work, I don't see a reason to go back that far. Before the fast food I did work as a cashier in a convenience store for 5 years, but that store is no longer in existence and I don't even recall the owners last name to see if he is still around (was an older man in bad health 14+ years ago). Is there anything I can do resume wise or am I going to have to start with finding a job like in a department store to have something for one?

Lanai in Hawaii

63 months ago

I'm in the same position as you. Ex-military family who have been all over and now that my kids are at a decent age I want to go back to work. I have been a SAHM for 9 years. I do have a degree in Marketing Management while I was home and worked for like 2 years with the government (Term). However with the job pool being so limited and expectation being so high, how can I even get back in. Now that my husband is out, I don't have spousal preference anymore so the odds of getting back in the govt. are slim to none.

Sneez in Fort Bragg, North Carolina

63 months ago

No degree for me. My husband still has two months, so I could see if there is anything I could get into...even thought about checking into cashier at the commissary since I figure that I would then have a chance of continuing to shop there after he gets out. I just figured that since everything takes so long to get through on getting a job on post, that his time would run out and I would lose the spousal priv. before I could be up for a job anyhow.

Lanai in Hawaii

63 months ago

Try your best to get in before he gets out. B/C it's so hard to get in after that especially right now.

Boulder Native in Denver, Colorado

62 months ago

Is there a resume/cover letter book that specifically addresses SAHMs? I've been a SAHM for about 6 years. I have college degrees and previous work exprience in addition to my SAHM responsibilities. This blog has been very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lanai in Hawaii

62 months ago

I am thankful for this site. I'm at a point in my life that I really want to go back to work. This site let's all express our desire to transition back into the workforce as well as share any helpful advice on how to approach writing a resume. I have altered my resume so many times and have put myself out there but nothing as of yet.

kwellman in Salt Lake City, Utah

62 months ago

I need to go back to work after 9 years of being a SAHM. I applied for a customer service job and went through 2 different interviews and each time was told by the person interviewing me that I would be a good addition to their company. A day later a received a letter from the cooperate office of this company telling me that I was not considered for the job because my last employment was over 7 year ago and they would be unable to verify it. Is there anything I can do? I have talked with the places of my previous employment but no one keeps records over 7 years old. I am at a loss as to what I can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kwellman in Salt Lake City, Utah

62 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: A supervisor or coworker at your last company can provide a letter of reference for you. The letter should include your start and end dates, and, of course, positive comments about you. Sometimes people are more willing to provide LORs if you supply them with a draft or final copy they only have to sign and return.

You can also provide W-2 forms you received from the company for your income taxes. You can also provide payroll check stubs. Hopefully you've kept your payroll stubs. Your tax advisor may be able to give you copies of your W-2s if you didn't retain them with your tax returns. W-2s and payroll check stubs should be enough proof to document your time with any company. Don't volunteer any of this documentation until you're interviewed.

I am only able to find one supervisor out of 3 different places of employment who is still currently working in the same place. As for payroll stubs and W2s I do not keep records over 7 years (after 7 years I was taught to shred everything other wise I would be storing a house full of documents). I did not have a tax adviser, I never made enough money to justify doing that and I only had myself to claim before I got married and had kids and became a SAHM. I guess I am SOL on this huh? ughh this is frustrating.

Maria Pistorio in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

Hi - your email has been removed by the host. Is there another way to reach you?
Thanks!

Rivet in Alexandria, Louisiana said: Cathy,
I'm sorry about the delay. I left my email and didn't realize that someone had asked me a question here on this blog. Please let me know if you still need help. My email is <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>. I'd be more than happy to help you. Some moms just don't have the time or get a bit overwhelmed with trying to create their own resume so that is where I step in to help. If it's advice you are seeking, I'll do my best to help you. I have a myspace page if you want to check it out. <Edited by Host: Contact info removed>. :) Take care.

BuckeyeBunny in Elyria, Ohio

61 months ago

Hello,
I've spent this morning reading this forum. I'm thankful for all the advice. My background is that I have been a SAHM for 17 years. During that time I have in the past and currently been involved in Direct Selling(Pampered Chef, etc.). Do I include this in my resume and should I get letters of reference/character from my up lines?
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BuckeyeBunny in Elyria, Ohio

61 months ago

Thank you for your response.

Vicque Fassinger

61 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care. Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?
Any other tips on learning how to apply online for jobs? This is all new to me.

Another way to design your resume is to write about your other jobs nd responsibilities WITHOUT putting any dates on the resume; this way, there is no time gap. The point of a resume is to get noticed - to get an interview (whether over the phone or in-person). Once you've gotten their attention, then you can explain you've been this amazing creative coordinator of kids' activities for years! Putting THAT on your resume FIRST may not be as effective. Again, effective = getting a response!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vicque Fassinger

61 months ago

Susan in Shreveport, Louisiana said: Help!! I am in need of a resume. I have been at home for 20 years but have my teacher's certification in MATH EDUCATION. I know there are jobs out there but am clueless about resume writing in my situation.Susan

Are you looking for a job in teaching? I am licensed to teach high school English and have to stay current with that certification if I want to teach (I am current though I am not teaching now). You might try substitute teaching! In Ohio, the pay is about $100 a day and most districts will work with you to get all your paperwork in order. If you are not looking to teach formally (or sub) you could also connect with a school as a tutor. I agree with some of the other comments made here by other contributors - don't put dates on the resume if you aren't currently working (or haven't worked in over a year)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Elkton, Maryland

61 months ago

I been a stay at home my for 10 years and only have a ged eduacation. I have not done many volunteered programs. The company's I worked for have closed down so there are no reference for when I did work. My husband is very controling and did not let me go out very offen and now he has lost his job and is letting me go back to work. But since I have not worked in so long, I am not sure how to even begain my resume I have only one friend and no personal references. I have put in for a entry level jobs possiable. But I fear since he has lost his job, he will move in with his mother and leave me and my daughter with nothing since everything is in his name even what little money we have. I have no living parents or family to lean on so, I am in such a mess I can not see any light. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I all ready know that I was dumb for letting this happen so please do not remind me. Please someone help me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

josie51 in Oregon

59 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care. Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?
Any other tips on learning how to apply online for jobs? This is all new to me.

It is hard for alot of people, not just SAHM's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Dawn in Elkton, Maryland said: I been a stay at home my for 10 years and only have a ged eduacation. I have not done many volunteered programs. The company's I worked for have closed down so there are no reference for when I did work. My husband is very controling and did not let me go out very offen and now he has lost his job and is letting me go back to work. But since I have not worked in so long, I am not sure how to even begain my resume I have only one friend and no personal references. I have put in for a entry level jobs possiable. But I fear since he has lost his job, he will move in with his mother and leave me and my daughter with nothing since everything is in his name even what little money we have. I have no living parents or family to lean on so, I am in such a mess I can not see any light. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I all ready know that I was dumb for letting this happen so please do not remind me. Please someone help me!

It's been two months since you posted. Your post was scary. Actually, if he does leave you, it would probably be to your advantage.

First, see if you qualify for food stamps. DO IT IN YOUR NAME!!!! You want that little bit of control. Be sure you have access to the pin number and he doesn't. Contact the Child and Family Services Deparment in your County. Make an appointment if you can and see what is available to you. How old is your daughter? If she is pre-school, then you should qualify for a headstart program. She needs to get out and you need the break from her. Go to the website for jobs in your state and look for jobs that way. (For Florida it's www.employflorida.com).

Get a plan right now for in case he leaves. Find out where the women's shelters are. The day he walks out, you want to have your own plans. You said he is very controlling. Does he beat you? If he does, leave. If he is now unemployed, it will only get worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mopey in Springfield, Australia

59 months ago

Hi All,

I've been a SAHM for 9 years now (and really two years before that was only part time when my first born was a baby)

My reference people and the companies themselves no longer exist, though I do have two written references - old as they are. I managed to get a temp typist job for a few weeks last year (scattered over a few months)and hired through a freind of a freind of a freind, and this lady is willing to be a reference so at least that is something. So depressing that recruitment managers don't consider a written refence any good any more. I've been told that recruitment staff won't even look at your resume if you've been out of work for five years or more. If only they could focus on the work that I HAVE DONE to see I am qualified.

I'm targetting part-time administration work and have had NO luck at all and am starting to become so discouraged. I did get to interview level for one position and asked for feedback. I was told I did very well and would have been 2nd choice but it came down to the other lady having had more RECENT experience :(

I've even had my resume looked at by a recruitment specialist who said she was happy with the layout and contents of my resume and how I have explained my absence from work and listed my volunteer work and duties. Employers don't even seem to have the manners to send a rejection letters these days, you just don't hear a thing!

What am I supposed to do? No one will take a chance it seems. I've even tried applying for entry level junior positions and not a nibble :(

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.