Stay at Home Mom Needs Resume Tips for Returning to Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 361)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

tulip143 in Galena, Ohio

33 months ago

I just found a job after being a sahm for 6 years also. The job I have is not ideal, its not really what I want to do. Even though, Its a starting over point so that I can save up alittle until I can start my own business. It was very hard trying to find a job after that long and in this economy.. Good luck to you and try not to settle into something you don't want it will make your return that much harder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shivani in Bristol, Connecticut

32 months ago

Hi I am shivani. I worked for one year and I took 3 years break for family reason and went back to work for 2 years and I took another break with a same reason. How do I fill up my gap?
I did volunteer work in school, church..
I did a computer teaching for those student who want to persuade their career in an IT field. I earned little cash from teaching and kept of with my new technology. I took some online course.
How do I fill up my gap with strong leadership role in my resume?
I appreciate a feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fez in Marietta, Georgia

32 months ago

Shivani in Bristol, Connecticut said: Hi I am shivani. I worked for one year and I took 3 years break for family reason and went back to work for 2 years and I took another break with a same reason. How do I fill up my gap?
I did volunteer work in school, church..
I did a computer teaching for those student who want to persuade their career in an IT field. I earned little cash from teaching and kept of with my new technology. I took some online course.
How do I fill up my gap with strong leadership role in my resume?
I appreciate a feedback.

Shivani, consider using a functional resume instead of a chronological one. That will focus on your skills and results as a opposed to dates. It also sounds like your volunteer work is relevant to the job you are trying to get. So instead of just listing your volunteer work describe your results as well as the impact you had. Use the key words of the technology you worked with etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Saint Louis, Missouri

32 months ago

I am also having trouble with my resume, as I have no work experience relating to my degree. I had my daughter my junior year in college and graduated a year later. I've been out of school eight years, and have been waiting tables 2-3 nights a week just for extra money, but I'm ready to do more than that now, and I don't know where to start. I always told myself that when my daughter started school full-time (which was last year!), that I would finally put my degree to good use. I do volunteer at her school quite often, but I have no idea what to put on my resume. My resume is so light!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Columbus, Georgia

28 months ago

I was a stay-at-home mom for 9 years when my khusband lost his job. We opened a business last year, so I have the past year as retail management experience, but need help with getting my resume' together. I used to teach high school and I've worked in sales. I would like to get into HR. Who are the best resume' preparers for my particular situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KLK227 in Cincinnati, Ohio

28 months ago

There are many reputable resume services out there willing to help. Search for the best price and go from there. I just posted for another reader that I was very skeptical about a service, but, like you, I needed help. Through friends I found Optimum Resumes (optimumresumes.net)
Good Luck to you and your path into HR. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet

27 months ago

Mary Kelly in Lowell, Massachusetts said: Hi, I trying to re-enter to workforce (tutoring/teaching) after being a stay at home mom for the last 9 yrs and I have not actually taught in 13yrs. My work experience basically is my schooling and 1 yr of teaching then mom to 5. I am curious about your fees for resumes. Mine in quite straight forward but definitely needs a lot of finesse!

I too have a degree in teaching but have not worked for the past 15 years. My decision to stay home to raise my 4 children is one I do not regret. I am currently looking for a teaching/teachers aide postion but have had no luck. Not even a call for an interview. I am open to office work as well, but really have no experience in that area other than managing my household. I will keep trying, but do get discouraged at times. Hopefully I will find something soon. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grandma patty in Indianapolis, Indiana

20 months ago

Try entering the workforce at age 58 with grown kids and small grand children. I have been babysitting last three years for youngest grand kids enjoying life. Then unexpectedly my husband loses his job as IT manager. No income right now. Employment agencies seem to laugh at my age and why work needed now. Very depressing. I loved staying with my kids. I did work a lot while they were young but kids were happier when I was home. The employment agencies want to know what I've done for the last three years. Well I changed diapers, made lunch, read stories, rocked babies, and ran errands. I also cared for aging parents who are93 and 88. I hugged and sang, danced and laughed, and wiped off tears. Appararently this doesn't fit into the experience section of a resume. Love and stay with your kids as long as you can afford to. It goes by so fast, someday you will wish you could do it diffrently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Grandma patty in Indianapolis, Indiana

20 months ago

Try entering the workforce at age 58 with grown kids and small grand children. I have been babysitting last three years for youngest grand kids enjoying life. Then unexpectedly my husband loses his job as IT manager. No income right now. Employment agencies seem to laugh at my age and why work needed now. Very depressing. I loved staying with my kids. I did work a lot while they were young but kids were happier when I was home. The employment agencies want to know what I've done for the last three years. Well I changed diapers, made lunch, read stories, rocked babies, and ran errands. I also cared for aging parents who are93 and 88. I hugged and sang, danced and laughed, and wiped off tears. Appararently this doesn't fit into the experience section of a resume. Love and stay with your kids as long as you can afford to. It goes by so fast, someday you will wish you could do it diffrently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Grandma, you would be perfect for day care, have to get certified, but is quick and cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

chomgirl in Boston, Massachusetts

16 months ago

Kelly in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am also having trouble with my resume, as I have no work experience relating to my degree. I had my daughter my junior year in college and graduated a year later. I've been out of school eight years, and have been waiting tables 2-3 nights a week just for extra money, but I'm ready to do more than that now, and I don't know where to start. I always told myself that when my daughter started school full-time (which was last year!), that I would finally put my degree to good use. I do volunteer at her school quite often, but I have no idea what to put on my resume. My resume is so light!

Thank's for your comment on resume to. I am trying to return to work now after 10 years of being at home with my daughter. I to have no experience directly related to my MA degree. All of my work has been in non profit from direct care to Program director. My degree is in management and i find it difficult to transfer my management degree to have it benefit me. I'm tired of the non profit however, I've been thinking to work in travel industry or corporate world. Yet, I struggle with my resume. I've been working on it for months and still find myself at the same place. I wish I could have some one just write it for me.

Ellen Hall in Tucson, Arizona

16 months ago

Hello to Chomgirl in Boston and Kelly in Saint Louis:

First, a disclaimer. I am a professional resume writer, and I'm not advocating my own services here.

As a former stay-at-home mom myself, I have some understanding of your situation. The first step is to determine a direction for your next career steps. Chomgirl in Boston mentioned the travel industry or the corporate world. Narrowing down a specific direction for your career will help a lot with your resume development.

I recommend finding a good career coach to explore your options with you and help you develop a plan. You both have a college degree and some work or volunteer experience which is at least partially transferable to many different career paths. Many career coaches can also help you write a competitive resume based on current best practices in resume development.

All career coaches are not created equal. Be sure to check references. I have personal experience with several career coaches in my business network here in Arizona who are very good, but this is outside your geographical area. if you're willing to work with someone "long distance", I can give you a recommendation.

Best of luck to you!

Ellen Hall
Rapid Results Resumes
Tucson, Arizona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Rood in Miami, Florida

15 months ago

Hello-

Although I was top in my field as a pharmaceutical sales representative, I decided to stay at home with my two children. Fast forward to today, ten years later, It is seemingly impossible to get an interview, no less a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Barbara Rood in Miami, Florida said: Hello-

Although I was top in my field as a pharmaceutical sales representative, I decided to stay at home with my two children. Fast forward to today, ten years later, It is seemingly impossible to get an interview, no less a job.

This is the worst job market since The Great Depression. You might want to stay home a little longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Rood in Miami, Florida

15 months ago

Staying at home is not an option.....Hello

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

15 months ago

how are y'all getting jobs after 6,8 and 10 years of being outside of the workforce when they don't even want to look at folks who've been out of work for only 6 months????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: how are y'all getting jobs after 6,8 and 10 years of being outside of the workforce when they don't even want to look at folks who've been out of work for only 6 months????

I'd like to know that myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

llanojen in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I'd like to know that myself.

Wow, you sound really bitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Columbus, Georgia

15 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: All of this is quite commendable and you are fortunate to have been able to do this.

However, just because it is now convenient for you to re-enter the workforce, understand that this is one of the toughest job markets since the Great Depression. It ain't gonna be easy.

Hi Bluetea in Texas, I'm the one you said sounded negative. Please scroll down just a bit to what I posted and see if I'm really the person to whom you were referring. I simply asked for some very basic advice after having been a stay at home mom.

Jessy Brancato in Dallas, Texas

15 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care . Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?
Any other tips on learning how to apply online for jobs? This is all new to me.

Hi Jewels,

I hope I have reached you on time. My wife had a similar situation and besides all the doubt I had, she convinced me to have a professional company review and potentially re-write her resume. Like I said I thought it was all bogus until she landed a an interview within 2 weeks and 3 days. The following tuesday she started working it might be worth a shot. If I may the provider is ResumeToInterviews.com theres also some coupons online I noticed. :)

Heart Gann in Adelaide, Australia

14 months ago

I've known so many moms right now venture in online jobs so you may want to try your luck applying for jobs online, the good thing is you will be employed and do the job at home with a competitive hourly salary. However, if you really want to be back at corporate world then a good resume is needed so just list down all work experienced you may had before as well as the skills you possess. Anyway, you will be judge on the day of the interview so I don't think it is necessary to pay someone to help you out building your resume.

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: This is the worst job market since The Great Depression. You might want to stay home a little longer.

I read your advice and agreed with it. I stayed home with my kids for many years and re-entered the job market in the 1980s.
So I will add this for the Stay Home Mom's:

Some of you might think this is brutal, but if you want someone to just agree with you and be nicey, it won't help you...

Do you really need to work? If you work, you will spend more on gas, food, everything. If you are going back to work to have money for more expensive clothes, vacations, or plastic surgery, it's not a need...

I was a SAHM too, and I know how hard it is, and it's truly a hard job. But your children are better off for it, so I get all of that. But employers don't...they don't consider balancing a checkbook as accounting skills. I had one "life coach" tell me I was an "accountant, cook, housekeeper, and event organizer"...and believe me, employers will just look at that and dismiss you. They won't take it seriously. The best you can do is...be honest about your work history. Not that all employers are honest with you, but you take care of your end.
If you did any volunteering or headed any group, you can put that down. But don't put down you're an "event planner" if you got the kids with their friends for Saturday afternoon dollar movies.

If you have a degree, and it's a good degree, put a lot of focus on that.

Dress professionally, but don't over-dress. Don't try to look like a CEO coming in. But be groomed and savvy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: We are big fans of Madam Ruth, the gypsy with the gold capped tooth. 34th and Vine if you're interested.

LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Do you really need to work? If you work, you will spend more on gas, food, everything. If you are going back to work to have money for more expensive clothes, vacations, or plastic surgery, it's not a need...

And remember, you are trying to re-enter the worst job market since The Great Depression.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And remember, you are trying to re-enter the worst job market since The Great Depression.

Yes, I think some don't really understand this. They think it is just difficult to find work. There are so few jobs available, and when there IS an opening, someone knows someone, a friend, a family member, a neighbor's poodle...and they give them a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

14 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said:
Do you really need to work? If you work, you will spend more on gas, food, everything.

I was a SAHM too, and I know how hard it is, and it's truly a hard job. But your children are better off for it, so I get all of that.

Very good post.

Another big expense is childcare, or more meals out because you're too frazzled to cook, etc.

I've been on both sides of the fence.

There are a lot of mothers out there that work because they have to, not just to have extra money to spend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Very good post.

Another big expense is childcare, or more meals out because you're too frazzled to cook, etc.

I've been on both sides of the fence.

There are a lot of mothers out there that work because they have to, not just to have extra money to spend.

Thanks, just trying to point that out...I think some really do need to bring in some income, but I have seen women swear they need to work, but they are buying designer purses and going to spas... kids are far more important than that.

Being home with your kid is the best job you can ever do. I kept mine out of daycares, both of mine were honor students, one is in college on a math scholarship and is in the honors college in a science major and the other just graduated with a bachelors...they both told me on occasion they were glad I never put them in daycares.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Columbus, Georgia

14 months ago

Please stop posting faux guru bull on a site dedicated to career development. No educated person believes in spells. Why would I want someone who only came back to me because a "spell" had been cast upon him?

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Being home with your kid is the best job you can ever do.

In many cases, it might be the only one. This market is tough enough; even tougher if you have been out of the workforce for a number of years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said:
Being home with your kid is the best job you can ever do.

I agree with your statement completely. It sounds like you have done an awesome job. Not easy to do nor for the faint of heart.

14 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In many cases, it might be the only one. This market is tough enough; even tougher if you have been out of the workforce for a number of years.

Yeah, I got to be a SAHM when my job was outsourced in 2010! I made the most of it :)

mybiz498 in Cincinnati, Ohio

10 months ago

Deb in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Thank you for your comments, but I'm afraid that you have missed my overall point. While it is clear that recruiters today routinely dismiss the accomplishments of SAHMs by insisting that SAHMs "conceal" their parenting roles on their resumes, it seems to me that if all SAMHs faithfully follow this so-called "advice", they are, in effect, actively reinforcing the devaluation of ALL unpaid, caring roles in our society. When preparing their resumes, SAHMs should state clearly, truthfully, and proudly what they have done as SAHMs - without resorting to the distortion and "rhetorical disguise" that is oftentimes used by "resume writers". (this type of language rarely fools anyone, by the way!) And yes, I'm sorry, but it "does matter what I think" - just as it mattered to Rosa Parks when she refused to sit at the back of the bus all those years ago! Imagine, what would have happened if Miss Parks had done what everyone else had told her to do, and was not brave in taking a stance against an injustice? Yes, you can position yourself to re-enter the workforce - but do it your own terms! The very important and valuable job of raising children should never be "dismissed" or "camoflaged" by anyone, especially women! My advice to SAMHs who are seeking to re-enter the workforce? Find those companies that understand and support women who choose to be SAHMs, and so, do not penalize our choice for doing so. "Lying by omission", or "transforming" your parenting work into a more "palpable" or "marketable" corporatese, will not make the average SAMH more competitive in the workplace today, anyway.I myself, proudly and without shame, list all of my life and employment experiences together, and address these experiences head-on - in both my cover letters and resumes. I will not stoop to devalue my work as a SAHM, or that of my very intelligent and hard-working SAMH peers - by ommitting anything from my resume - and I encourage ALL SAHMs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

mybiz498 in Cincinnati, Ohio

10 months ago

Amen, you are so right. I have just decided today to start looking for part time employment after being home for 17 years with my kids. I have only had a few part time jobs during this time. I think the best advice I received by a hiring manager is to brush on my skills. As the previous SAHM wrote, go back to school and take one or two computer classes. Thank you for the advice on what to tell potential employers, honesty is always the best policy.

susangsu@gmail.com in Columbus, Georgia

10 months ago

To mybiz in Cincinnati. I have gotten two e-mails from you. The first one I responded that you have me confused with someone else. Now you absolutely do. I haven't been on here in forever. So I couldn't have missed your point, when I never read or responded to it.

10 months ago

Why? My Facebook page shows how much I volunteer and how involved I am ANYTHING on my FB. AND it is PRIVATE. I have asked several people (not fb friends) to look at what they can see and they see zip.

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

susangsu@gmail.com in Columbus, Georgia said: Why? My Facebook page shows how much I volunteer and how involved I am ANYTHING on my FB. AND it is PRIVATE. I have asked several people (not fb friends) to look at what they can see and they see zip.

Most recent books on Job Hunting today have a chapter on cleaning up your online presence if you need to. You never know how anything will be interpreted or how it will be used.

Rima in Boca Raton, Florida

10 months ago

Hi
I am in the same boat. I am a SAHM since the past 7 years. I have a masters in biomedical sciences and no work experiences at all. Got married after masters than moved around the country, got pregnant, raised the child and got pregnant again. Now I want to enter the field again. I am writing to you because I am also considering a 50/50 online and on campus public health program. I was wondering if you can guide me a bit with the resume and job scenario based on my SAHM background.
Thanks a million
Rima

10 months ago

Again, I have had mine looked at by both people who aren't my friends and they can't see ANYTHING and people who are and I looked a desirable hire.

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

10 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: sittercity.com or care.com. Raising other people's children is big business today.

I ran into the issue of people wanting someone to keep their kids for almost free......Mom was 2 hrs late coming home the first time i kept her children, wanted to pay me an absurdly low amount. Ran into the same thing trying elder care. I will work for cheap, but i am not going to work for $50 a week....

10 months ago

I saw a posting on Craig's List for a sitter needed for three children. All three would have to be picked up in the morning and one would have to be dropped of at school. An hour later one would go to a pre school for three hours and would have to be picked up at lunch. Then the school aged child would be picked up at 2:20. In the middle of all this, the "sitter" would have to clean and cook lunch for the little two and supper for all three. All this for minimum wage. I bet they pay the guy who mows their grass 20-40 bucks an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

susangsu@gmail.com in Columbus, Georgia said: I saw a posting on Craig's List for a sitter needed for three children. All three would have to be picked up in the morning and one would have to be dropped of at school. An hour later one would go to a pre school for three hours and would have to be picked up at lunch. Then the school aged child would be picked up at 2:20. In the middle of all this, the "sitter" would have to clean and cook lunch for the little two and supper for all three. All this for minimum wage. I bet they pay the guy who mows their grass 20-40 bucks an hour.

I guess it depends on the area. My niece in California says that child care there is $12 - $15 an hour. No cooking and no cleaning.

$20 - $30 through an agency.

10 months ago

That is how it usually is here. It cost 15 an hour just for a teenaged babysitter. I doubt anyone took these people up on their offer. How scummy! Who would expect all that for that little pay?

chelle.ward123@gmail.com in New Baltimore, Michigan

10 months ago

Wow, reading all these post have been very encouraging to me... You go ladies! Like all the "SAHM's" I have been a 'home-maker'/home-educator/co-owner of my husband's business. I have been on line for hours reading on tips for writing 'the masterpiece resume'; yet, I feel overwhelmed and I really don't know where to begin. I was also reading the other day on 'life experience' credits and how they translate into college credit and since I did not finish my college education I feel that I need all the help I can get~

Desperately awaiting suggestions,
Michelle

kim in Southampton, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

Rivet's Resumes in Alexandria, Louisiana said: I am sorry to hear that this incident has brought down your confidence level. It can be a challenge getting back into the workforce. But, please don’t get discouraged. You have a lot of skills and strengths that will be beneficial to any company. If you want, I can take a look at your resume for you and give you my professional opinion (you mentioned you already had one). Sometimes the magic is in the layout and the format to focus on what you do have, your professional strengths and filling in those “gaps.” You WERE blessed to be able to stay home with your children, so don’t allow this experience to make you feel otherwise. But, you can be blessed again with a job that suits you with where you are in your life now as well. :) Keep your head up. What you want can be obtained! I help SAHM get there every

Hi. I have been a stay at home mom to four kids for 15 years now, with brief jobs throughout. I became pregnant at 22, and didnt finish college therefore not having a degree and anything to fall back on now. I am in need of a job for financial reasons and I feel stuck because of the gaps in my resume, and I feel I need it revamped.
any help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Mississauga, Ontario

10 months ago

Jewels in Anniston, Alabama said: It is hard re-entering the work force after 15 years of child care . Do I include those years on my resume as work experience? If not, is there another way to explain the gap in my work history?
Any other tips on learning how to apply online for jobs? This is all new to me.

I am in the same situation as Jewels and many on here. I have been home for 23 years and now I would like a small office job. Not really a career for me but what do I put on a resume that catches the eye of someone who is looking for a part time person???? I don't have all the computer skills that most have. I have some basics but not fancy things like Excel. I have taken some night classes over the years but have no degree. I have a diploma in Dental Assisting but don't want to work in a dental office so do I include it when I'd rather not work there? I know I can't be fussy but I'd be so far behind in that world, I'd need taught as much in any office honestly.

Becky in Conover, North Carolina

10 months ago

I'm 54 and have recently decided I really want to be back at work, for many reasons. I have no college degree and have been a SAHM for 23 years. I've been through a lot of the posts on this forum and am not encouraged at all, except to not bother looking for a job!! I have many experiences in the past 23 years to equate to "real" experience but would rather not spend time in a futile search.

My husband would also like me to be working. I hope he understands when I say I'm going to look for somewhere to volunteer instead. Who knows? Just may meet someone who knows of something available.

Dmom1d in Tacoma, Washington

8 months ago

Hi I am a SAHM that has been out of the workforce for 14 years. Three years ago I decided to start my own event planning business. At this point, it has suddenly stopped being busy and I'm not quite sure why. It has take the wind out of my sail a bit but maybe it's happening for a reason. I have had it pretty good and my husband has been fully supportive. However, it's looking like I really need to contribute monitarily. I have been actively putting out resumes since September and I get nothing. I do not have a degree and feel like going into debt is not the way to start looking for work. I need money to go to school so I need to work. I love event planning and communications. Depressed, feeling lost, and down. I need some direction and have no idea where to start. I know I can do a good job and want so much to be part of a collaborative environment. Any suggestions? So glad I found this site. Thanks so much in advance!
Diana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Broncho in Saint Louis, Missouri

8 months ago

I am 60,a stay-at-home mom for 20 years and trying to get back into the workforce. I hold 3 graduate degrees in an academic discipline and taught at colleges in the 1980s.Due to illnesses--which are now cleared up--I was unable to work while my children were growing up. One of my children was borderline special needs, so I was never able to volunteer a lot. For the last 4 years, I have been struggling with ptsd (abusive first marriage). Any ideas??

Duck! in Brooklyn, New York

8 months ago

Dmom1d in Tacoma, Washington said: Hi I am a SAHM that has been out of the workforce for 14 years. Three years ago I decided to start my own event planning business. At this point, it has suddenly stopped being busy and I'm not quite sure why. It has take the wind out of my sail a bit but maybe it's happening for a reason. I have had it pretty good and my husband has been fully supportive. However, it's looking like I really need to contribute monitarily. I have been actively putting out resumes since September and I get nothing. I do not have a degree and feel like going into debt is not the way to start looking for work. I need money to go to school so I need to work. I love event planning and communications. Depressed, feeling lost, and down. I need some direction and have no idea where to start. I know I can do a good job and want so much to be part of a collaborative environment. Any suggestions? So glad I found this site. Thanks so much in advance!
Diana

1. Try and figure out why your business has suddenly stopped being busy. Are there competitors who are out-pricing you? Do you need to spruce up your website? Do you need to focus on SEO or marketing? Etc.

2. Reach out to your former clients and see if they need any more event services or if they know anyone who does. Not in a desperate, "please hire me" way, but rather as part of a marketing plan to restart your business.

3. Reach out to everyone you know and ask if they can recommend you for a job, because with no degree and 14 years out of the workforce it's going to be tough to get a position without help.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susangsu@gmail.com in Ellerslie, Georgia

8 months ago

Barbara Rood in Miami, Florida said: Staying at home is not an option.....Hello

Don't worry about the Texan. She is horribly rude.

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.