Update Resume

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Roger in New Hampton, New Hampshire

24 months ago

Hello, I recently got "asked to leave" from my new job. I was only employed for 3 weeks. I was wondering if I have to place that employer/skills (update) on my resume now? Or is it better not to say anything about that employer? Thanks everyone! for any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

Roger in New Hampton, New Hampshire said: Hello, I recently got "asked to leave" from my new job. I was only employed for 3 weeks. I was wondering if I have to place that employer/skills (update) on my resume now? Or is it better not to say anything about that employer? Thanks everyone! for any advice.

I wouldn't say anything. At all! Sorry about that btw. Why do you think they asked you to leave?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Roger in New Hampton, New Hampshire said: Hello, I recently got "asked to leave" from my new job. I was only employed for 3 weeks. I was wondering if I have to place that employer/skills (update) on my resume now? Or is it better not to say anything about that employer? Thanks everyone! for any advice.

No. Forget all about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Don't put it down.

3 weeks wow! Dude, you need to learn to fake it at work. Fake liking coworkers, fake looking busy, fake liking the job, fake the smile, fake the orgasimm, fake, fake, fake. Got it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

24 months ago

Roger in New Hampton, New Hampshire said: I was wondering if I have to place that employer/skills (update) on my resume now?

YOU write the resume, right? That means YOU get to place whatever YOU want on it. Your resume's effectiveness may vary with that approach, however.

Let me digress for just a second. When you show up at the dealership does the guy selling you the car mention that it only gets 18mpg and it was the 2nd most stolen car in the USA? Nope, he just tells you the good stuff like how comfortable the seats are, it's 0-60 speed and that it comes in red.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johhny in Portland, Oregon

24 months ago

That sucks - sorry to hear about that, Roger.
I agree with Joe Gagill about faking it. I'll continue to fake liking where I'm at until I land another job.
As for leaving that job off your resume.....you can do that, but when a prospective employer does a background investigation, won't they see you were employed there? That happened it to me. You can leave it off, but when asked about it, be prepared with a good answer! Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Johhny in Portland, Oregon said: That sucks - sorry to hear about that, Roger.
I agree with Joe Gagill about faking it. I'll continue to fake liking where I'm at until I land another job.
As for leaving that job off your resume.....you can do that, but when a prospective employer does a background investigation, won't they see you were employed there? That happened it to me. You can leave it off, but when asked about it, be prepared with a good answer! Good luck!!

No. Big Brother isn' quite there yet.

I have had several short term jobs and none of them show up. What shows up is a job I had in Alaska for two years.

I have never been to Alaska.

Even my sister had to prove that she once worked for a bank that went bankrupt. She saves all of her pay stubs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: No. Big Brother isn' quite there yet.

I have had several short term jobs and none of them show up. What shows up is a job I had in Alaska for two years.

I have never been to Alaska.

Even my sister had to prove that she once worked for a bank that went bankrupt. She saves all of her pay stubs.

How does the job in Alaska show up if you didn't have it???

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Three weeks? Don't bother.

But if you're confronted with a job app, which usually requires to list last three employers or something like all employers in the last X number of years, it would be a judgment call whether to list it. If you've had other employers for reasonably longer periods of time, maybe not.

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: How does the job in Alaska show up if you didn't have it???

We call this contaminated data. How many Joe Gagills are there in the world? Sometimes, the data just ends up anywhere.

So far it hasn't hurt me.

Still, that is why you should check your credit report, every few years. My niece had her data confused with someone else. Takes months to straighten out.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

Three weeks? Don't bother.

But if you're confronted with a job app, which usually requires to list last three employers or something like all employers in the last X number of years, it would be a judgment call whether to list it. If you've had other employers for reasonably longer periods of time, not listing it would probably be fine.

Sara in Richmond, Virginia

9 months ago

I would not list that employer three weeks fake it I would add those weeks with the old employer so it would not show any gaps give somebody heads up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

9 months ago

Sara in Richmond, Virginia said: I would not list that employer three weeks fake it I would add those weeks with the old employer so it would not show any gaps give somebody heads up.

Padding the dates of the old employer is *not* something I would do.
If they catch you at it, you most definitely will not be getting that job since it is a lie.

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey said: Padding the dates of the old employer is *not* something I would do.
If they catch you at it, you most definitely will not be getting that job since it is a lie.

Like employers don't like to you.

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Like employers don't like to you.

...lie to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jerry Spires in Odessa, Texas

5 months ago

Roger in New Hampton, New Hampshire,

If you were screened out after only 3 weeks you should not feel at all obligated to put that position on your resume (which is your own marketing tool). If, however, you are applying for government positions, for instance, you need to mention everything you can in the Employment/Work History section (which is the employer's background information tool). Background/due diligence investigators will check to confirm veracity. Human Resources professionals recognize the difference, will understand, and won't hold it against you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.