Which of these should I include on my resume?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

HappyHitchhiker in Salt Lake City, Utah

20 months ago

Nonprofit Organization--Volunteer--8 years--Now Closed
Seasonal Resort--1 season--Company sold and name changed
Seasonal Resort 2--1 season--Company still in operation
Job 3 through 8 -- 12 years--Companies are all closed and were privately owned (no franchises)

When it comes to verifying my employment history a company can only verify one and they use The Work Number for that but I am unsure if the new company would have records for the old employees under the former company.

What to do? I really need to improve my resume so I can get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

HappyHitchhiker in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Nonprofit Organization--Volunteer--8 years--Now Closed
Seasonal Resort--1 season--Company sold and name changed
Seasonal Resort 2--1 season--Company still in operation
Job 3 through 8 -- 12 years--Companies are all closed and were privately owned (no franchises)

When it comes to verifying my employment history a company can only verify one and they use The Work Number for that but I am unsure if the new company would have records for the old employees under the former company.

What to do? I really need to improve my resume so I can get a job.

Remember that what goes on your resume is not the same as what goes on an application. The company status isn't relevant. If a company is still in business, and you think it'll be relevant to the prospective employer, you can add a "(now ABCo)" -- but only if you think it really adds value.

A resume is a summary, and a teaser summary at that. It should not answer every possible question a prospective employer might have. Instead it should make them be interested in learning more. All of those experiences could be relevant -- depending on the opportunity you're aiming for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

I would add to the above that your resume is YOUR document. Never lie or pad your resume, ever, but slant it to best serve YOUR interests. Slanting it could mean omitting short-term or temporary employers, and employers irrelevant to your field. Slanting your resume means showcasing your best abilities, attributes and accomplishments.

Just realize that on an official job app you would have to own up to employers you omitted from your resume and aspects of your work history you are less than proud of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.