Will you attach some of your previous project with your resume?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

tofo in Irvine, California

12 months ago

Is it a good idea to put previous project pictures/papers with your resume? (Engineering)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

tofo in Irvine, California said: Is it a good idea to put previous project pictures/papers with your resume? (Engineering)

No. Save it for the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rez Writer Brandy in Ohio

11 months ago

I'm a resume writer and I have been placing QR Codes on resumes for people who have acquired a gallery of work they would like to display. It's quite nice and unique!!

Create a free word press website, drop your work in there and build a QR code to that site then place it on your resume. Now don’t count on every employer opening it and still arrive to each interview prepared, but it is a very nice supplement to have with your resume.

www.hemphilljds.com

Calfornian in Hayward, California

11 months ago

I vote maybe. If you can get more information than a blind submission, especially a person's name (or even a unique craigslist ad), it might be worth a shot. And in the worst case it stands out.

Which is worse, being 1 in a 100 white pieces of paper/word documents, or having some percentage of the people you submit to just throwing it out, while, maybe someone actually looks at it?

And I'm anecdotally certain that they won't care in an interview either unless you are doing web development and they want to see your portfolio, but, in that case they'll want to see samples, via your personal site anyway.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: I vote maybe. If you can get more information than a blind submission, especially a person's name (or even a unique craigslist ad), it might be worth a shot. And in the worst case it stands out.

Which is worse, being 1 in a 100 white pieces of paper/word documents, or having some percentage of the people you submit to just throwing it out, while, maybe someone actually looks at it?

And I'm anecdotally certain that they won't care in an interview either unless you are doing web development and they want to see your portfolio, but, in that case they'll want to see samples, via your personal site anyway.

Years ago, when we still were using paper resumes, there was a flurry of resumes that had a "red dot" in the upper left hand corner. Apparently, this was the gimmick of the day. I guess it was to draw attention to it.

Then, a few years later, I got resumes on CDs but they were actually PowerPoint presentation. I only opened up one. I abhor Power Point presentation as I think its just finger painting for adults.

I don't know what the latest gimmick is.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Years ago, when we still were using paper resumes, there was a flurry of resumes that had a "red dot" in the upper left hand corner. Apparently, this was the gimmick of the day. I guess it was to draw attention to it.

Then, a few years later, I got resumes on CDs but they were actually PowerPoint presentation. I only opened up one. I abhor Power Point presentation as I think its just finger painting for adults.

I don't know what the latest gimmick is.

There is a famous

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: There is a famous

Lets try this again....

There is a famous professor at Purdue (whose name escapes me) that starts every public speaking engagement with one PowerPoint slide. He takes the Gettysburg Address, and reduces it to 4 or 5 bullet points. Then he goes on to explain how PowerPoint takes away from the essence of the message. Then he launches into his speech, sans slides.

It's actually a very powerful demonstration of the overuse of PowerPoint in our lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Lets try this again....

There is a famous professor at Purdue (whose name escapes me) that starts every public speaking engagement with one PowerPoint slide. He takes the Gettysburg Address, and reduces it to 4 or 5 bullet points. Then he goes on to explain how PowerPoint takes away from the essence of the message. Then he launches into his speech, sans slides.

It's actually a very powerful demonstration of the overuse of PowerPoint in our lives.

I hate PowerPoint presentations as much as I hate being CC'ed on email. Huge time sucks.

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

11 months ago

I applied for around 550 programming positions and exactly one employer asked for a sample of my work. Employers don't seem to be all that interested in seeing candidates' past work.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland said: I applied for around 550 programming positions and exactly one employer asked for a sample of my work. Employers don't seem to be all that interested in seeing candidates' past work.

550 positions? You're my hero.

I would have hung myself at 499.

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I hate PowerPoint presentations as much as I hate being CC'ed on email. Huge time sucks.

At my current job, most of what qualifies as "training" consists of reading a bunch of PowerPoint slides and then taking a quiz on what was (supposedly) on the slides. Some of the training units had over 50 slides. You cannot begin to imagine how boring that was.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: 550 positions? You're my hero.

I would have hung myself at 499.

I'm just about ready to shoot myself at 2 years and 200 apps and another fun Summer.

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

11 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I'm just about ready to shoot myself at 2 years and 200 apps and another fun Summer.

I had to do 5 a week to get unemployment, so that guaranteed that I would send in a lot more than 500.

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland

11 months ago

err, 200.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I'm just about ready to shoot myself at 2 years and 200 apps and another fun Summer.

Only 200? You're not even trying.

Remember Nick? Over 1,000 before he got a bite and still had to move. I still find all of this hard to believe.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Jeff in Lanham, Maryland said: At my current job, most of what qualifies as "training" consists of reading a bunch of PowerPoint slides and then taking a quiz on what was (supposedly) on the slides. Some of the training units had over 50 slides. You cannot begin to imagine how boring that was.

I would have jumped out of the window.

There is actually a book entitled, "Death by PowerPoint". LOL!

11 months ago

1000. Totally insane.

I think Nick got his Assistant Manager gig he wanted and was transferred to Conn a few months back.

One day my story will have a Happy Ending. And I hope you're there for that!

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: 1000. Totally insane.

I think Nick got his Assistant Manager gig he wanted and was transferred to Conn a few months back.

One day my story will have a Happy Ending. And I hope you're there for that!

Did he? He hasn't been around for awhile.

Your problem is like mine. We both live in the sticks but you live in the fashionable sticks.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: 1000. Totally insane.

I felt like such a slacker after I read that. It is insane today.

11 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I felt like such a slacker after I read that. It is insane today.

Too many job seekers, not enough jobs, anal interviewers. It really comes down to who you know nowadays.

I'm a registered Repub even though I'm really an Independent. But from now on I'm like your brother. I vote Democrat!

Calfornian in Hayward, California

11 months ago

If you are a PHP developer you will be asked to provide code samples. In web development you'll be asked about your portfolio. Many developers use github for online code samples.

In other words, it depends on the arena you work in.

On the other hand, when I've showed up for business intelligence related jobs no one has cared. The couple of times I've gotten my work out I don't think it helped and one time it was blown off by the interviewer as he bragged about creating a programming language (trust me on this, he hadn't). In this niche, it always falls back to SQL (sometimes easy, sometimes crazy offbeat stuff), behavioral and technical stuff about whatever BI tool they use.

In other words, it depends. And seriously, I can't imagine anyone asking for a PowerPoint presentation today. It probably would go straight to the recycle bin.

arron lee in California

25 days ago

Hi, Rez Writer Brandy.

As for me, I am testing the related word barcode generator ( www.onbarcode.com/word_barcode/ ) these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? I am totally a green hand on barcode generating field. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.