What do employers think of self-employment?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

domino in Virginia

76 months ago

Hi everyone. New here...really like this board.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who can tell me how self-employment is looked upon in job experience on a resume. (Tony?...)

I haven't worked for anyone else since 1991, when I quit to get my BA. I ran our own property management biz during that time and beyond, ran a successful eBay business and a few minor things.

I don't know if I will be perceived negatively because I have been out of the work force for so long (even though I have taken course work to get my skills current.)

Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Career Hunter in Denver, Colorado

75 months ago

Guide

domino in Virginia said: Hi everyone. New here...really like this board.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who can tell me how self-employment is looked upon in job experience on a resume. (Tony?...)

I haven't worked for anyone else since 1991, when I quit to get my BA. I ran our own property management biz during that time and beyond, ran a successful eBay business and a few minor things.

I don't know if I will be perceived negatively because I have been out of the work force for so long (even though I have taken course work to get my skills current.)

I have had recruiters tell me in confidence that a client (employer) would not even consider an entrepreneur for a position. As a caveat, I am in accounting/finance, so that might not be true in a field like sales. But I have had past clients who ran substantial companies who had a tough time becoming an employee.

What don't they like about self-employed?

First, I think the fact that it's very difficult to verify anything about it independently: duties, accomplishments, compensation. I could have been in prison for 5 years and say I was a consultant to the state government.

There is also a perception or misconception by employers that the self-employed are mavericks who don't like to be told what to do, and won't follow instructions. No one who has ever run a business would think that's true: if you are dealing directly with your customers to earn a living, each and every one of them is your boss, and they have no problem telling you what to do!

I would restate the jobs as the company names you used, and list a more functional title, like "sales manager" or "property manager" on your resume. Since you refer to it as "our...biz" you can explain in person that it was a partnership. That should soften the impact and get better results.

I have more articles along this line at career-hunter.blogspot.com/search/label/liabilities

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

greg f in Vancouver, Washington

75 months ago

You have to emphasize all of the strenghts that you used during self employment...I am also seeking work after 14 years of self employment. What I find so far is that employers want to be sure they don't make a mistake..so focus on how you skills can translate into what they are looking for.

Be sure you let them know how your skills will transfer to the job...pick one or two skills to emphasize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

domino in Virginia

75 months ago

Good points Career Hunter. I didn't think about the verification problem.

I think since I haven't worked for anyone for years, my self-employment at least shows that I haven't been just sitting around.

I have a lot of skills that would be valuable to an employer, but my situation is just tricky to get down on a resume so that I convey that clearly. That's my main hurdle.

Besides being out of the work force, I'm also trying to enter a different field than I have worked in before.

All sorts of challenges... :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

domino in Virginia

74 months ago

Thank you Career Hunter. This looks very helpful.

I realize more and more just how important it is for your resume to really jump out at an employer. I'm taking time to craft it well and paying attention to not just listing skills and achievements, but putting them in a context of how I can be a great asset to the employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Career Hunter in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

Guide

domino in Virginia said: Thank you Career Hunter. This looks very helpful.

I realize more and more just how important it is for your resume to really jump out at an employer. I'm taking time to craft it well and paying attention to not just listing skills and achievements, but putting them in a context of how I can be a great asset to the employer.

When I was first writing resumes, my editor's most common comment was "FOR"... which I learned meant frame of reference.

If you list a company, but don't explain what they do (e.g., "XYZ Co., $55M manufacturer of automotive transmission parts" or how you did things (e.g. "Faced with new competition from a large manufacturer, I surveyed customers and discovered custom products and earned the company an additional $5M"), it doesn't have relevancy.

If you can get the reader to see and feel what you went through, your communications will have much more impact, above and beyond the key words aspect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

domino in Virginia

74 months ago

Exactly Career Hunter.

You've got to make it relevant. Otherwise, who cares?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie Anderson in Bolingbrook, Illinois

71 months ago

Hi,

You know I had a similiar experience. I worked my own real estate business for about 2 years & then things went down hill. I entered back into the job market afterwards, I was formerly in the IT industry.

Well I found it extremely difficult get a decent job. The interviewers wanted to know what happened with the business? I told them & later I found out something amazing.

Being an entrepreneur, recruiters look at that situation as someone who is looking to give orders and not take them. So one who be more of a leader of the pack opposed to the tradition followers.

It is doable, just takes a lot more effort, especially if you're in the middle age bracket.

Best Regards

Jackie Anderson
"Who else wants their phone ringing
off the hook with dozens of quality
job interview requests next week?"
Click here: <Edited by Host: Advertisement removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Just another number in South Bend, Indiana

71 months ago

Resume Killers:

Temp Agencies
Self Employment
Working for a Family Business

Those all equal "Unemployed" to the people whose job it is to round file as many resumes as possible.

Couple that with a Introverted personality (not a happy-shiny-smily-"people" person) and you are essentially unemployable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

bhbrown36@gmail.com in San Diego, California

69 months ago

Yeah this is a tough one,I to am experiencing difficulty in the job hunting process because of self-employment. I owned a car care business for 5 years and the bottom dropped out when gas prices rose. I have corporate experience in management before opening my business. I never really thought it was a hinderance until I started investigating. I will have to change my title and look at it from an employee angle rather than an owner I suppose?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AS in Canoga Park, California

69 months ago

being self employed is A okay

In the cover letter you want to explain the skills (only the ones relevant to the job your applying for) you developed while running your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bhbrown36 in Chattanooga, Tennessee

69 months ago

I decided after some research to change the title to General Manager. Is a play on words but may get the resume through the door. The only issue I fear is seeming deceptive when I interview?

I am working the cover letter also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

zeod123 in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Jackie Anderson in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: Hi,

You know I had a similiar experience. I worked my own real estate business for about 2 years & then things went down hill. I entered back into the job market afterwards, I was formerly in the IT industry.

Well I found it extremely difficult get a decent job. The interviewers wanted to know what happened with the business? I told them & later I found out something amazing.

Being an entrepreneur, recruiters look at that situation as someone who is looking to give orders and not take them. So one who be more of a leader of the pack opposed to the tradition followers.

It is doable, just takes a lot more effort, especially if you're in the middle age bracket.

Best Regards

Jackie Anderson
"Who else wants their phone ringing
off the hook with dozens of quality
job interview requests next week?"
Click here: <Edited by Host: Advertisement removed>

Amazing I am going thru the same thing right now, Real Estate business gone down the toilet. Only getting phone interviews, never a follow up. They always ask me to clarify what I mean by self employed, once I tell them they just say ahha and thank you. Seems like they would rather hire a 21 year old android/button pusher than a 32 year old experienced android/button pusher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bhbrown36 in Chattanooga, Tennessee

68 months ago

I have tried using the title General Manager on my resume and say to recruiters that "this title really fits my experience and duties compared to the title of owner". Either way it has not seemed to help especially in this economy. I guess I have to stick with "Owner" and just hope someone sees good in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Seems like they would rather hire a 21 year old android/button pusher than a 32 year old experienced android/button pusher.

I see Tampa in here. We all know Tampa sucks. On your resume, have you listed line-by-line your everyday job activities? Your resume will get you an interview. When you get to the interview you do have to sell yourself. I'm learning that myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

domino in Virginia

68 months ago

"Being an entrepreneur, recruiters look at that situation as someone who is looking to give orders and not take them. So one who be more of a leader of the pack opposed to the tradition followers. "

This is SO true. I realized this. Businesses don't want independent thinkers, they want people who will do what they want.

They would definitely have a "21 year old android/button pusher" because they can train them to do what they want and 21 year old aren't necessarily as astute to business politics.

I remember when experience was a good thing. Now it's a negative, at least in many situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in New York, New York

68 months ago

You guys are all on point. I have had a career as a paralegal and following that an exec. assistant & manager at a nonprofit. For 2 years I have been doing real estate and not being able to make ends meet.It has killed any potential for getting a salaried office job - regardless of salary range.I'm in a borough of New York City so there are tons of offices who all need secretaries, assistants, etc.I write well and speak clearly.I sell myself and my skills (like if it was a house!!). Temp agencies are useless.NYC has become a 20something yuppie android button-pushing place.Granted I'm 37 and could pass for 25.That's not the point.I was a temp at a well known nonprofit for a few days this month and I was working harder than the Ivy League silver spooners who were permanent full timers.Of course nobody made me permanent as "amazing" as they "raved" I was.They had 2 full time openings advertised that are still vacant.I think they're looking for the Yale/Princeton superstar to be a nice "fit".I'm considering getting a job in Nassau County or Westchester as those are close (drivable)enough to where I am and not so competitive with the trust-fund babies.All for 2 years of real estate and one of which is not on the resume.You got to go where the competition is less, not more.New York City has become a City for the elite, thanks to the mayor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Salisbury, United Kingdom

64 months ago

In the UK here it is the same. I have run my own business for many years but the recession has seen my sales fall and I have to find a job. I am very skilled and hard working, running your own business is very hard! But no one will employ me because of being self employed and I don't know what to do other than lie! I have to make my mortgage payments and it's very frustating no one will give me the chance when I am very capable. It is very sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Lawrenceville, Georgia

63 months ago

zeod123 in Tampa, Florida said: Amazing I am going thru the same thing right now, Real Estate business gone down the toilet. Only getting phone interviews, never a follow up. They always ask me to clarify what I mean by self employed, once I tell them they just say ahha and thank you. Seems like they would rather hire a 21 year old android/button pusher than a 32 year old experienced android/button pusher.

I also am going thru the same situation. I've been self-employed for 30 years now and due to the economy work has slowed down. I never get any response to my resume. Is it my age? I've always been a very hard worker and know that I would be a good asset to anyones company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandra d. in Lake Arrowhead, California

62 months ago

WOW! All of this info. is very scarry to me.I've only just begun my job search. I feel as though I have several strikes against me.
1- My husband and I have been self employed for the past 4 years.
(We woked together in our Antique shop).And we both sold real
estate. Both businesses went down under this year.
2- We live in the Mountains... We truly get all 4seasons up here.
Employers seem to question that. What happens when it snows??
What happens when there are wild fires, and evacuations?? Can
you make it to work on time?etc.. Should I lie about my address?
Should I title myself as mngt? As suppose to owner?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

Résumé means "brief summary" in French, it doesn't man autobiography! If you tell the employer everything you won't get the interview. If you have owned your own business you don't have to tell the employer that you are the owner. Bad move for most positions. You list your title position as Manager, General Manager, Manager/Sales, Assistant Manager, Manager/Customer Service, or ANY title that is self-descriptive AND in line with whatever your salary requirements are. For instance, if your title position is listed as President or Vice-President the reader/interviewer/scanner may assume you are looking for a six figure position when in fact you probably aren't. Show the business dates in the PAST, not the present. Use past tense on all your action verbs, adverbs, adjectives, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

sandra d. in Lake Arrowhead, California said: WOW! All of this info. is very scarry to me.I've only just begun my job search. I feel as though I have several strikes against me.
1- My husband and I have been self employed for the past 4 years.
(We woked together in our Antique shop).And we both sold real
estate. Both businesses went down under this year.
2- We live in the Mountains... We truly get all 4seasons up here.
Employers seem to question that. What happens when it snows??
What happens when there are wild fires, and evacuations?? Can
you make it to work on time?etc.. Should I lie about my address?
Should I title myself as mngt? As suppose to owner?????

Your resume is about you, not your husband. Your resume is about your SKILL SET, not the business. The employer is not going to care if your business went "down under" whenever. They want to know what qualifies you for the opened position.

Your resume is not about where you live. Who cares if you live in the mountains or Siberia for that matter? How does that qualify you for ANY position? Why lie about your address? I doubt the CIA or FBI cares where you live, so why would an employer. If you are uncomfortable with where you live use a friend's address, a relative's address, or a Post Office Box #. Yes, you can title your position as Manager or Assistant Manager, Sales Associate/Customer Service, etc.

If your two self-owned jobs ran consecutively only list one, probably the antique shop is your best bet, unless of course you want to be a Real Estate Sales Representative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Ok, folks, here's the downside:

Not always, but typically the best way to present yourself is to show that you worked for A BUSINESS (even though you and me know you were the owner, partner, co-owner, propritorship, president whatever). You will have to show your business in past tense and that you are currently UNEMPLOYED.

The whole advantage of BEING EMPLOYED is that you have more LEVERAGE to NEGOTIATE for a HIGHER SALARY. By showing yourself being unemployed, you have little or no leverage. However, in this crummy economy, I wouldn't count on either! It's going to be an EMPLOYER's MARKET for a long time.

Anyway, I suppose you could show you are CURRENTLY employed with current dates of course, and not exposing ownership. In this case, you will need two telephone numbers, one for the business and one for your residence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I'm on a roll here, so here's more info:

Those headhunters and everybody else, ugh. Show 20 people your resume and I promise you, you will get 20 opinions on what or what shouldn't be in your resume. If your headhunter or employment agency doesn't like your resume, let them or tell them to write it themselves!

Your headhunter isn't sitting there in front of the interviewer who is eagle-eyeing your resume. No, your headhunter gets on the phone with a potential employer and touts your skill set to the hilt. He/she gets your foot in the door through phone sales, not your resume. Period. So take their advice with a grain of salt, not the absolute truth.

Speaking of truth, here's one: There are no "golden rules" in resume writing. It's what gets your foot in door. If you know the person interviewing likes pink paper, put your resume on pink paper. If you know what kind of coloyn (I forgot how to spell it, I hate French, lol) or perfume the interviewer likes sprinkle some on your cover letter. HOWEVER, AS A GENERAL RULE YOU WANT TO BE CONSERVATIVE AND BUSINESS ORIENTED IN YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER.

In addition, it's okay to have a month or two or three in between employers. Interviewers are notorious for dates. So, when asked here's a great answer, "I was being SELECTIVE in finding my next employer." AND, BTW NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, include salary requirements, even when asked. Nor show reasons for leaving.

When asked why you left your last job, you know, the company you owned.... here's your best answer

1) The place went out of business
2) No room for advancement
3) No opportunity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Oops, I should clarify that last paragraph in the posting above. If you "owned" your own business the best answer is "The place went out of business, it no longer exists". That way the employer is even less going to bother with a background check.

For other employers your best answer is "there was no room for advancement" or "there was no opportunity". This works for most people in most situations. Think about it- if you hate your boss and your boss hates you...well, there's was no room for advancement!

If there's no opportunity, there is no room for advancement, if there's no room for advancement, there's no room for more money. And the employee knows that! Of course you don't talk about salary and benefits until the employer brings it up. So, these answers work well in most situations. If the employer went out of business, burnt down, hurricane, tornado, you got laid off, then you can use that as your reason for leaving.

Happy Hunting All!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

And before I forget,

Some of you entrepreneurs that DID show on your resume that you CURRENTLY own your business got into HOT WATER in the interview, didn't you? YEP, now the employer WANT'S PROOF of your INCOME for all those years that you were self-employed (as if it's any of their business, and we know the employer would NEVER show his/her company's actual profits, would they?)

NOW, do you see why it's better to show your company (unbeknownst to the employer) in PAST tense?

Happy Job Hunting To ALL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

teikyo30 in North Haven, Connecticut

62 months ago

I would suggest stretching the truth. If you owned your own business put yourself down as the manager of the business and have a friend as a reference who's clued in that will vouch for you as a good employee. If a company doesn't want to hire you when they need good employees based solely on the fact that they assume since you ran your own place you won't take orders, screw them. I won my own pizza place, but I want to get back out into the workforce. I will do whatever someone who pays me tells me to do at work. I have no problem with that at all. Nor would I try to impose my experience on them. If I cannot get hired somewhere when I do look, I'll jut start another small business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Of course owning your company shows initiative and motivation. It also shows you are a self-starter, independent, needs no supervision, and a thousand other adjectives that probably describe other positions with other companies. Go back a read my other posts. The "pro" of showing you have initiative and motivation doesn't outweigh the cons.

If you own your own business - you manage your own business. Period. Listing yourself as the Manager IS NOT stretching the truth. What's more you sell your product or service, you can list yourself as a Sales Associate (if in retail) or a Sales Representative (if in outside sales). Where do you get "stretching the truth"? You better call yourself something other than Employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnlannan in Wheeling, Illinois

61 months ago

I am the opposite I dont have much work experience and am having trouble like lots of people right now finding a job----I am thinking of starting a small online business---If you can give me any advice on starting a simple small online business I would greatly appreciate it ---john.lannan@yahoo.com thank you very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cally Keener in belmont

61 months ago

Your self employment may be genuine and valid, but a lot of employers and recruiters see self employment as code for being out of work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

domino in Virginia

61 months ago

Paul in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Are you people stupid? Did you not read my postings above, under Paul in St. Louis? You're repeating the same comments that started this thread.

Paul, while your comments are long and frequent, I don't know what your expertise is to back up the "information" you provide. Anyone can say anything. Who knows whether your posts are your opinion or professional experience?

As for calling people stupid, not only is it rude, but I would have to ask how brilliant it is for you to join some questionable, costly and most-likely scam scheme like Wealthy Affiliate. If you can "google it" to find out more, than people can also Google to find out lots of information on being an affiliate -- for free. Start with Allan Gardyne. I've been online for over a decade and have been a successful affiliate marketer for a long time.

It has been interesting staying updated on this thread through email.

I decided that I really didn't want to work for someone else after all. I could never see myself back in the 9 to 5 rat race and game playing. I've taken my skills and improved upon them and started working for myself (web development), from home, setting my own hours and such and I'm making more money per hour than I ever have. Very happy.

I wish all of you luck in your search :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

Yes, well great but how.
I want to start my own Publishing Firm and self-publish my own writing as well. I write Short Stories (True to life tales and Sci-fi), poems (emotional, Political, Abstract, love poems, children poems), and the occasional Essay (Political, Lifestyles, and Opinion pieces of all kinds.)
I would really like to know how to get Writer's Grants (goverment grants, or non-for-profit Grants that give money to writer's in order so that a writer can concentrate on their career rather than spending time working at dead end jobs to pay the rent.),in order to oh well I think I've just explain that in the aside, sorry about that.
So any info on that would be much apperciated.
I don't quite trust myself all those work-@-home websites things myself so I myself am reluctant to dive in to that as it is.
If anyone is interested please have a look at my blog:
www(no dot)mrclueuinbrooklynrules.blogspot.com.
Thanks in advance all those with GOOD advice.
Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

wwwmrclueuinbrooklynrules.blogspot.com
Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

babyl0ka in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

Hi everyone.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who can tell me how self-employment is looked upon in job experience on a resume.

I have never work before this will be my first job and i really need it.

I don't know if I will be perceived negatively because I have never work and i have no experience at all what can i do ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CeeMB in Gastonia, North Carolina

49 months ago

Hey there,

I think employers do not look down on this.. I have a non profit organization and am the Executive Director. I applied for lots of jobs (because of the grants we ran out of money) and got interviews and offers. It would also help if you have a website and if they ask you are able to provide details.. but this will not happen. If you were a felon HONEY!! they would know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Edward Doran in Palm Springs, California

42 months ago

I have had the same problem with self-employment on my resume. It really doesn't make sense for recruiters and potential employers to view this negatively, but they often do.

Also, I do not see how being self-employed and the work you perform at being self-employed is unverifiable. I have many clients who have allowed me to use them as references and to describe me and the work I did for them in detail and in glowing terms. Employers who automatically exclude someone who has been self-employed are being short-sighted and most likely eliminating the best candidates from their selection. You probably don't want to work for an employer like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Indianapolis, Indiana

42 months ago

I have just started a virtual assistant business, with decades of experience as office manager, executive secretary, etc. While I expect success, I am applying for jobs in this area for steady income NOW. Downsized 3 years ago and working as temp in interim. I see business and background as related and would like to know how to list it on resume or whether, even though business is related to job search, it would still be better to omit. Thank you for any feedback!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Concord, North Carolina

41 months ago

Listen to Paul. Never, EVER list "self employment" on a resume. You may as well tell people you're an axe murderer. Or a stay-at-home parent, which is also vilified in this sick society we live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sear in Santa Monica, California

41 months ago

I was self employed for the past 8 years, and tried to enter back into the workforce about 6 months ago. I applied for upwards of 100 positions using an owner title on my resume, and only got 2 phone calls and 1 interview. The interviewers were really concerned about my ability to accept not being able to make changes. These are concerns that they would not have had, were I merely an employee at a company.

From my negative experience I would say that it is better on your resume to not be self employed. Companies look for people that will do exactly as they want, not for people that are innovators#

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

SteveHillyer

40 months ago

This actually looks promising. After 19 years of self-employment where do you begin? This is a great start. Previous comments about not being considered because of maverick status would most likely not be a place I want to work. 20 years as a Army enlisted man, I think my strongest skill. "Efficiently Lazy," ability to find ways to do things better, faster and still achieve the objective. Not sure if Efficiently Lazy would look good on the resume but for the right person it might catch their eye. After reading your post and seeing this example I feel pretty good about where to start. My experience has always been the Top guy's typically love me and its the middle people who are scared of me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KIM in Middletown, New York

40 months ago

Paul in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Oops, I should clarify that last paragraph in the posting above. If you "owned" your own business the best answer is "The place went out of business, it no longer exists". That way the employer is even less going to bother with a background check.

For other employers your best answer is "there was no room for advancement" or "there was no opportunity". This works for most people in most situations. Think about it- if you hate your boss and your boss hates you...well, there's was no room for advancement!

If there's no opportunity, there is no room for advancement, if there's no room for advancement, there's no room for more money. And the employee knows that! Of course you don't talk about salary and benefits until the employer brings it up. So, these answers work well in most situations. If the employer went out of business, burnt down, hurricane, tornado, you got laid off, then you can use that as your reason for leaving.

Happy Hunting All![/QUO

WITH TEARS IN MY EYES THE PAUL THANK YOU!!

KIM in Middletown, New York

40 months ago

Paul in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Oops, I should clarify that last paragraph in the posting above. If you "owned" your own business the best answer is "The place went out of business, it no longer exists". That way the employer is even less going to bother with a background check.

Happy Hunting All![/QUO

WITH TEARS IN MY EYES PAUL THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

I like this convo. I have been self employed and worked for a companies after. I think everyone made true comments. The reality is....it depends. It depends on who reads your resume. You may have someone who reads your resume in detail, and can figure out your skills. Then you can have another who reads your resume, and belittle your self-employment, and not see any skill set, and therefore concludes you as unemployed. So, just get to an interview, and talk your skills up.

I do like the idea of changing title to manager. But don't lie, I would keep that you are self employed in your cover letter. So instead of saying you owned your own business or you were self employed, say you managed your own business.

Finally, depending on the company they do background checks. I had no problem because I paid taxes. In Philly you have to pay a business tax. I blacked out the amounts that I owed or made. They wanted to just verify that I worked for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

sukhi in Plainfield, New Jersey

38 months ago

Hi everyone. I am self employe,i have convenience store since 2001 I work too many hours on my store working hard seven days a week,due to bad economy business is not doing good looking job,but i don't know how i can write my Resume. please help me Thank you

Danute in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

Amazing tread! Now I understand why now I can't get a job even at McDonald's... Even though in the past, before becoming self employed and a business owner, I never ever used to have any problems landing all different kinds of jobs.
Actually there is one thing now I remember... When I used to be the one who hires others, I used to prefer those who are hardworking and smart, but at the same time submissive, not too opinionated and not too out of the box people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danute in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

hmm... just posted and it did not appear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Bottom line: If you are not corporate material, a corporate robot, or in the corporate matrix, you're useless to them. If you think in your own box or outside of theirs don't bother with a corporate job, they will fire your ass if they don't like you and move on to the next illegal alien for dirt cheap. However, minority status gets the welcome mat. The government pays corporations for hiring minorities. If you are a white male .... well, good luck, get back in touch with me if you're one of the few who do get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Tashanka in Saint Charles, Illinois

37 months ago

I can't argue with what you said. That is the reality of the situation.
Thanks for the feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Salisbury, United Kingdom

37 months ago

Paul in Saint Louis you are absolutely right!!! It is the same here in the UK too! I thought it was just the UK that played to all the minority groups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jobber in Lewisville, Texas

37 months ago

Just another number in South Bend, Indiana said: Resume Killers:

Temp Agencies
Self Employment
Working for a Family Business

Those all equal "Unemployed" to the people whose job it is to round file as many resumes as possible.

Couple that with a Introverted personality (not a happy-shiny-smily-"people" person) and you are essentially unemployable.

Interesting that you mention family business. My wife is now running a family business. What she is learning is far more valuable than what I have learned at a corporate job.

It is a pretty sad day when those that had the ability and drive to start their own company are immediately thrown in the reject pile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.