How many of you find it stressful to write a resume?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Jencan in San Francisco, California

38 months ago

It is stressful. The entire application process is stressful. It is extreme attention to detail and every word you put down on the page seems like a make or break.

If you can I would go to your college career center (they usually help alumni) and have them look over your resume. I would contact any friends or family members that work in recruiting, human resources, or hiring to look over your resume and give you any tips or advice they may have.

That's what really helped me. That and calming down about the whole process, just mentally telling myself that when the right job comes along it will all work out. Don't build it up into something bigger than it is, work hard to make your resume the best you can and then move on. You did your best. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

38 months ago

It is stressful, because there is a lot at stake there. The need to be beyond perfect puts a lot of pressure on the job hunter. I'm one of those people that really hates writing resumes and cover letters because I'm just not this awesome copywriter so it's a struggle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

It's stressful and it's hard, and I say that as someone good enough at it for other people I've been invited to give workshops and even worked for a short while as a recruiter. Tweaking my own resume is one of the hardest things I've done.

But the plus side, no one knows your skills and experience better than you so it's worth it.

Great suggestion about going to your alma mater. If you're not in the same area check out professional associations in your field that have local meetings; they'll probably have career development events. And don't forget interest groups and community organizations (especially faith based ones).

You can even form a "SWAT" group ("search with a team") and help each other tweak resumes (not to mention other jobsearch brainstorming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe gagill in Monticello, New York

36 months ago

The cover letter and resume writing process is a breeze for me now. My cover and resume look great now. But it took about 7 months before I perfected them. I do get noticed alot because of them. It's those interviews that are tough. Like designer bee stated you have to be "beyond perfect" during every stage of the job search.

Employers now a days look for God's. Ironically, once you have a job you can mispelled a few words here and there in emails, wear
shoes to work that need alittle polishing, come 5 minutes late to work without getting in trouble once a week, say something alittle off the wall once in awhile, etc, etc, etc,. But you have to be perfect when it comes to every phase of the interview process including the resume part of it.

By the way, I have an interview this friday and I will be dying my hair to make sure the little gray I have will not be seen.......if I had a job I wouldn't even worry about the gray. You have to be beyond perfect in every way! It's nuts. I'm going nuts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

Good luck, Joe. I know it seems they want you to be perfect, just remember they're really looking for someone who could do the job and fit into their culture. You resume did it's job because they want to talk to you. If you've made it to the point of being interviewed that's half the battle right there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

You said a key word there. "Fit". That's actually a very big part of getting selected. Will the candidate fit in with our coworkers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

I know. It's the hardest thing to determine before an interview,and if you're drawing UI then you can't say "no thanks" even if you know you're a terrible fit.

But hopefully, you will be, and you'll get hired, and you'll love it there. I'm rooting for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Thank you.

By the way in NY the most you can collect for UI is $405. PA is 600 and NJ is 500.

Thanks again.

jenab in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

joe gagill in Monticello, New York said: Thank you.

By the way in NY the most you can collect for UI is $405. PA is 600 and NJ is 500.

Thanks again.

It's not much higher in TX than in NY. At least the cost of living is lower here than "the city."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

erask in London, United Kingdom

30 months ago

It's definitely hard and I've spent many a late night and messed up subseqent day schedule trying to make it work but in the end when I get a job, I think it will be all worth it. Just have to keep eyes on the objective I guess.

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

Not me, I like doing that sort of thing. But I find it stressful when interviewers try to pick it apart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

I find it even more stressful to write cover letters. With a resume, you have a write once, submit often document that you will end up reading a bunch of times and eventually find all the little errors in it. But with cover letters, you are writing a different one every time and it's difficult to catch every error.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

30 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I find it even more stressful to write cover letters. With a resume, you have a write once, submit often document that you will end up reading a bunch of times and eventually find all the little errors in it. But with cover letters, you are writing a different one every time and it's difficult to catch every error.

Initially it takes a very loooong time to write a great cover and resume.

But after that it's just a matter of changing little things here and there on both of them depending on the specific job your applying to.

30 months ago

I probably could start a resume writing service with all the practice I've had now...and then I could advertise my services here on Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Sap in Asbury Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

I finally broke down and hired a service to do mine. I've been getting more calls/interviews, so it was worth it for me (paid $80 for a resume and cover letter). I had a friend get one (from a different writer) and her results have been the same. not sure if it's the quality of the resume, or that its a different industry or what not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I find it even more stressful to write cover letters. With a resume, you have a write once, submit often document that you will end up reading a bunch of times and eventually find all the little errors in it. But with cover letters, you are writing a different one every time and it's difficult to catch every error.

Tailoring your cover letter to fit each submission can be difficult. Sometimes, you need to change just a few words. Other times, you've tailored it so that it's meant for one employer and you send it to a different employer with a few words in there that shouldn't be in there. I've done this once or twice. It's bound to happen when you basically just change the recipient information and tweak things for each job and submit massive amounts of resumes.

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

30 months ago

I must be strange...I enjoy writing my resumes and cover letters. However, I do wish that I had a job so I didn't have to write either!

30 months ago

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia said: I must be strange...I enjoy writing my resumes and cover letters. However, I do wish that I had a job so I didn't have to write either!

LOL maybe you have a new career options ;)

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

30 months ago

Unemployed Sap in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: LOL maybe you have a new career options ;)

Ahh....yes....the things I could do.....but not! Guess writing them always gives me hope that maybe, just maybe this time it will be different.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I probably could start a resume writing service with all the practice I've had now...and then I could advertise my services here on Indeed.
And be called out as a spammer?

Of course you would do the right thing and contact Indeed about advertising.

30 months ago

More pertinent to the discussion, I've written my own resumes for more than forty years. I wrote my first resume when I was twenty. I found a form in a radio announcing book. I adapted the format to me. It worked. I continued to use that format for all my radio jobs. That was long before computerized word processing; the IBM Selectric electric typewriter was the state-of-the-art "word processor" of the day.

Same for aviation. Aviation has a more or less standard pilot resume format; recruiters and hiring managers expect to see quals presented in a certain order. No problem - I just copped the format.

Legal resumes are less esoteric. No problem again - I worked up chrono, functional and combo formats. I read up on most effective formats for particular needs and adapted my material accordingly.

There is plenty of resource material on resume writing on the internet. Plenty of books as well. IMO if one can draft copy reasonably well and adhere to a format one can prepare one's own resume(s). Computerized word processing is a boon to resume preparation. Just take the time to go through the necessary introspection to work up a good basic resume, spellcheck it and proofread it well. Then adapt it to specific job openings.

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I probably could start a resume writing service with all the practice I've had now...and then I could advertise my services here on Indeed.

I've done freelance writing. And plenty of resumes too.
It might be lucrative.

We could fill them with buzzwords that would make the HR folks get all excited.

30 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: And be called out as a spammer?

Not by you of course. :)

30 months ago

Hi, Brent.

Cursed4ever in anywhere

30 months ago

I used to love writing resumes but I became realistic about it. I'll never find a job in this economic times specially without much experience or a BA to show.
So what's the point.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

Unemployed Sap in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: I finally broke down and hired a service to do mine. I've been getting more calls/interviews, so it was worth it for me (paid $80 for a resume and cover letter). I had a friend get one (from a different writer) and her results have been the same. not sure if it's the quality of the resume, or that its a different industry or what not.

For $80, I would consider letting someone write one for me. The offers I get are all in the vicinity of $300. Too much to spend when I don't know anything about the company that's doing the work.

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

30 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: We could fill them with buzzwords that would make the HR folks get all excited.

We could start a thread and create a generic resume:
"Saved my employer more than ten million dollars by developing an optimal scheduling and workflow algorithm for the janitorial staff."

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Does anyone remember that MyCon guy that came here? Remember he was always bragging about his awesome resume and how he got all these job offers. Maybe we need to ask the expert. LOL

Kevin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

Unemployed Sap in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: I finally broke down and hired a service to do mine. I've been getting more calls/interviews, so it was worth it for me (paid $80 for a resume and cover letter). I had a friend get one (from a different writer) and her results have been the same. not sure if it's the quality of the resume, or that its a different industry or what not.

What service did you use?

30 months ago

Kevin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: What service did you use?

i wont say at the risk of sounding spammy which is how a lot of people take it, sadly. but it is one that has been mentioned several times on threads relating to this (theres a couple of them i think)

apparently others have used it and been happy as well, im just leery of some people being jerks.....

hint- look at the post before mine.

would really be nice if there were a PM type feature on here :/

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.