How to mention this in a resume

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Juan in Irving, Texas

26 months ago

I am a new Project manager and just finished up with a project. I am in the process of adding details of this last project to my Resume, but I am having a hard time describing something that happened in the project.

I had a team member who was not playing nice with the rest of the team and was driving down the productivity of the rest of the team. I had to step in and smooth things over with him and the rest of the team. I also moved his tasks around and put him on tasks that were not in the critical path of the project. By doing this I made sure that my schedule did not take a hit because of personnel issues in the group.

How do I say the above, in one bullet point in a Resume. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

26 months ago

Hi Juan. First off, congratulations on leading a project that stayed on schedule. You handled potential disaster with resourcefulness.

Regarding the resume' bullet point...if it were me, in addition to stating the key deliverable, I would point out my ability to identify problems early on, re-evaluate resource allocation, make decisions, and carry them through.

Mentioning anything whatsoever about a problematic team member could turn into a CLM.

Aka "Career Limiting Move."

Juan in Irving, Texas

26 months ago

Thanks. Very well put.

A follow up for you. So you wouldn't even mention this in an interview? For ex. If the hiring manager asks something like "what do you mean by re-evaluate resource allocation in your résumé?"

Should I just say that the team member was not capable of performing the assigned tasks. And that's why I re-allocated him to another task? Or should I say this was a problematic team member in an interview setting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Your answer might be that as PM part of your job is to evaluate each team member's strengths and weaknesses, and to place each member in a responsibility that takes greatest advantage of his/her strengths. The give a detailed (but not too lengthy) POSITIVE example.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Well put, Denver.

26 months ago

I'll add that as long as an interviewer is familiar with the fact that projects are iterative by their very nature, s/he will value a PM that makes adjustments throughout a project in order to stay on track.

This demonstrates you are truly engaged and you know what you're doing as a PM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.