temp to hire positions on resume

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

elr81 in San Jose, California

27 months ago

Hello, I worked at a company where I started as a temp through an agency and then was later hired on full time. What's the best way to indicate this on my resume? Does the agency need to be listed? How should the employment dates be listed? Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

On a resume you don't need to list it. However, when you're applying for a particular position, verify how they want it, especially if you have to an application (online or otherwise). I've been temp-to-hire before myself, and even when I applied for promotions within the company I had to distinguish the time as a contract and as a regular employee. Any discrepancy would have disqualified me for the promotions (I was promoted twice at that company).

If you have to include it in a resume, make the 'temp-to-hire' reference at the end of your description for that position, not the start. You want the first thing anyone reads to be the good stuff, not the background stuff.

Keep that in mind, too, for any applications you may need to distinguish between your real start dates for multiple positions at the same company and not just the actual one. That was a big annoyance for me, because I was often doing the new job long before I was formally in that position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

Indicate in an entry that you were an independent contractor. Within that entry, note where you were doing the contract work and that you were eventually hired by them permanently. This will clear up any gap covered by the temp job. Then, add the permanent employer. Easy, peasy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.