Getting an academic counselor job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing academic counselor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Johnson in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

79 months ago

Please keep me advised about openings for adjunct professor of psychology jobs at Middle Tennessee State University

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chewy Stokes in Washington, District of Columbia

76 months ago

I got into higher education right after graduating with my bachelors degree. I started off as an administrative assistant, from there I went to work in the registrar's office as a transfer evaluator and that experience allowed me to become a counselor. While working in higher ed, one huge benefit is that you can go to that particular school for free. Thus, I worked on my masters degree in education while working as a transfer evaluator.

The key to getting your foot in the door, especially if you don't have a degree in a specific area like higher ed administration, counseling or education, is to possibly start within a lower position and work your way up. If you don't want to do that, I would reccommend just getting a masters in one of those subject areas and within your internship or experiential learning you will get the experience. Larger universities like George Washington love to higher people with that background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

effervecents in Knoxville, Tennessee

43 months ago

I have been looking into academic counseling/advising/coaching etc. UT Knoxville offers a Master's in College Personnel that would give credentials to do academic advising. Also, they have academic coaching positions available to graduate assistants that require no specific training, and would essentially pay for the Master's Degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.