DON'T GO INTO SALES FOR MUSIC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Michelle in Madison, New Jersey

79 months ago

I worked for Muzak in an account executive position. I worked there for almost 7 months. The position is COMPLETELY 100% comission, and in this economy. It is the hardest sale imaginable. Muzak is FAR more pricey than its competitors. Plus the company is set to merge with DMX in a year, and things will be in upheaval. The economy has lowered sales as it is a luxury item for customers. You are provided with little to no training, and are expected in less than a year to perform at the level of seasoned vets that have 20+ years experience!!! Anyone with any sales exp knows it takes almost a year to build a solid, consistent pipeline! Also, you are not assigned any accounts when you start. It's all from the bottom up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

78 months ago

I tottaly agree. The 100% comission isn't the issue. The issues are

1. Their services are in most cases DOUBLE what a competitor will charge for a comparable service.

2. Five year contracts. Who signs a 5 year deal to have music in their office?

3. Senior reps can sell in your territory, but you better not go to theirs.

4. The target to keep your job is a recurring billing of $1,000 a month. Sounds low until you realize that in order to do it you have to sell about a deal a DAY to hit that target. If you do, you'll make about 60k to 70k a year. It takes about 50 to 75 FACE to FACE cold calls a day to get enough appointments to hit this target.

5. Turnover of reps under one year is nearly 100%. This is because you have to hit the above target without any current accounts. Also the multi location deals they may tell you about are there. They just will never belong to you since the senior rep sold it 5 to 10 years ago. This company has been around for 75 years. Most of the major deals are on with them or are no longer with them and are with a competitor.

6. This company is hemorrhaging in debt. To the tune of about $300,000,000. Not a typo, 300 MILLION DOLLARS. They are just about a junk bond debt quality company. Their merger with their competitor DMX was designed to look better to refinance their debt. The deal requires a third party to buy them after they merge. The company they wanted them to do it WALKED AWAY from the deal. If Muzak does not refinance their debt by late this year they will have to file for bankruptcy protection.

There are a lot of ways to make money if you are good at sales. If you are good at sales, don't waste your time here. Even if you succeed (which is highly unlikely) you will be working for a company that may not exist next year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

This is very informative because I was considering applying for a DMX A/E job. Do you guys think that DMX will have the same problems/issues as Muzak? I appreciate your input and you guys have potentially saved me a lot of time and effort.

Thanks.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Waldorf, Maryland

78 months ago

I cannot say. I did not work for DMX. However I would find out if DMX is in a similar financial pickle. If they are I would look elsewhere. There are many companies where you can make good money in sales, Muzak is not one of them for the work that is required. Oh, by the way, their insurance plan is not very good either. Hope that helps.

Jeff in Atlanta, Georgia said: This is very informative because I was considering applying for a DMX A/E job. Do you guys think that DMX will have the same problems/issues as Muzak? I appreciate your input and you guys have potentially saved me a lot of time and effort.

Thanks.

Jeff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Waldorf, Maryland

78 months ago

Also their health plan is a disaster. If you need lab tests or get sick more than once a year, your out of pocket will go through the roof.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brett in Cape Coral, Florida

77 months ago

What a bunch in whining, are you people for real? Go get lives instead of looking to slam some company because you either coudn't sell their products or don't know how to sell in general.

By the way, look around lots of companies are hurting...I heard Walmart is cutting jobs maybe we should all just give up working since the last days are near?! Hilarious!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Gillespie, Illinois

69 months ago

how about you get real brett, i bet you are a joker pushing some type of mlm product in good old sunny florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

brett in Cape Coral, Florida

69 months ago

Bob,

MlM product means nothing to me as I went to school and use real words. You are right I am in sunny Florida what is your point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.