Becoming a tax auditor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 219)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

but anybody have idea whether they contacted anybody for chicago opening ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

i am thinking to contact but before to know the thing i want to contact. can anybody let me know if anybody contacted the office ?

srp_0929

63 months ago

hey guys i think too its today or tomm or its not i guess coz the canditates as u say at least get 2 weeks to give notice to the current employer ..

i had a question for those who recived a call as im waiting for a call do they call in the mornings or any time during the office hrs...i know its crazy to ask these question but rite now im really nervous till i known for sure yes or no either but i shld known one thing for sure..n thanks to everyone for sharing info..

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

as we know there are only 7 vacancies in chicago and someone got a call and naturally they will call all 7 candidate at the sametime. that what i guess and reality may differ. what do you think ???

srp_0929

63 months ago

hey just an update i called the office n asked them n they said my name is not on the selected candidates list n ill be receiving a letter in the mail so i felt little bad first but really releived too as i known its not for me but thanks to everyone here n good luck to all ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

srp where did you call ? chicago office ? if so did you ask whether they called everyone who are selected ?

srp_0929

63 months ago

no albany office,they said i would be getting letter in the mail then i told them my situation that im not in town (which im really not)so they asked me whether i would be in town soon i told them not till end of this month n she was very kind to tell me that she can go through the selected candidates list n let me known,so thats how i came to know..
so my guess is i think they would be done by today calling the selected candidates, im not sure though ...
i think if u r really want to know i would say go ahead n give them a call atlesat ull known whats happening n its nothing to loose if u call .. good luck..

srp_0929

63 months ago

app in Chicago, Illinois said: srp where did you call ? chicago office ? if so did you ask whether they called everyone who are selected ?

no albany office,they said i would be getting letter in the mail then i told them my situation that im not in town (which im really not)so they asked me whether i would be in town soon i told them not till end of this month n she was very kind to tell me that she can go through the selected candidates list n let me known,so thats how i came to know..
so my guess is i think they would be done by today calling the selected candidates, im not sure though ...
i think if u r really want to know i would say go ahead n give them a call atlesat ull known whats happening n its nothing to loose if u call .. good luck..

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

i called to albany office but she told me that she doesn't know about it and told me to call chicago office.

needajob in New York, New York

63 months ago

has anyone heard from the brooklyn location

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

je30501 in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey guys! I interviewed at the Chicago location in late May and I got the call back yesterday! This office also starts June 25th and has training in Albany over the summer. Congrats A! Hope everything goes well for you!

Congrats je30501!!! its kinda cool that they have everyone training in Albany.

Srp_0929. Good luck on your job search...i think i saw a posting for IRS, maybe u could try applying for that?

p.s the office called me in the morning, but i think someone else in buffalo got the job, and he got called later in the afternoon

A_r in Elmhurst, New York

63 months ago

I had my interview on May 24th for the Garden City location. Did anyone got an offer from them?

funky brother in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

A_r in Elmhurst, New York said: I had my interview on May 24th for the Garden City location. Did anyone got an offer from them?

i also had my interview at garden city office on 27th/ i have not heard anything as yet. keep me posted.

63 months ago

I just received a call from them! GUESS WHAT! I am starting on 25th.

63 months ago

funky brother in Bronx, New York said: i also had my interview at garden city office on 27th/ i have not heard anything as yet. keep me posted.

i just called the garden city office and spoke to someone. she said they have not heard anthing yet. i shall keep you posted.

63 months ago

funky brother in Bronx, New York said: i just called the garden city office and spoke to someone. she said they have not heard anthing yet. i shall keep you posted.

Elmhurst, you got the call from where. garden city of albany?

63 months ago

Garden City

63 months ago

A_r in Elmhurst, New York said: Garden City

thanks body. it implies i have not been picked. congrats

63 months ago

Thanks buddy! I think they got huge response this year because of the economy. I don't think its hard to get a job with them.

Good Luck!

63 months ago

A_r in Elmhurst, New York said: Thanks buddy! I think they got huge response this year because of the economy. I don't think its hard to get a job with them.

Good Luck!

i believe it has got something to do with my drivers license. i do not have one as yet. even though i scored a hundred

63 months ago

Do you have a Masters?

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

Hi all, congrats to those who got offers. I think since they already called Chicago candidates I was not selected, but today I received a call from Florida DOR and was selected to start on July 1st.

63 months ago

A_r in Elmhurst, New York said: Do you have a Masters?

yes i do have an MBA

srp_0929

63 months ago

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi all, congrats to those who got offers. I think since they already called Chicago candidates I was not selected, but today I received a call from Florida DOR and was selected to start on July 1st.

Hey congrats reyup really happy for u i was thinking of asking u what happened? i anyway dint make it with ny...take care n Good Luck!
n congrats again

chi in New York, New York

63 months ago

Any word from NYC/Brooklyn locations?

fyi in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

nothing yet.

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

everything is over. just forget about NY tax because selected candidates got called from them. congrates to all who got selected.

je30501 in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

Thanks A and congrats Reyup! Yea, it is cool that they are training everyone together! I'm excited to meet everyone!

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

by the way je30501 if u don't mine can u tell me what was ur score and what additional degrees u have and how was ur interview because i was also optimistic abt my inteview and expecting a call for it but anyway better luck next time but i want to know what to keep in mind. thanks in advance

je30501 in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

My score was 100, I have two bachelors, will start grad school in the fall, and I felt that my interview went very well. I've also worked at an accounting firm doing pretty much the same thing, but it was only for chicago and the surrounding counties. That gave me great experience. After the first like two weeks of not hearing anything I became less optimistic, but then they called. You'll find something! There are 49 other states to apply with! Good luck to you!

app in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

thanks n all the best to u

accounting in New York, New York

63 months ago

Chi in New York, New York said: I interviewed at the Manhattan and BK locations.

FYI do you have a chat name?

hey, i interviewed for the manhattan and brooklyn location too. I haven't heard back from manhattan but brooklyn gave me an offer. The thing is I'm not sure if i should take it cause I heard working in government accounting isn't as good as working in public accounting. What do you guys think?

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

accounting in New York, New York said: hey, i interviewed for the manhattan and brooklyn location too. I haven't heard back from manhattan but brooklyn gave me an offer. The thing is I'm not sure if i should take it cause I heard working in government accounting isn't as good as working in public accounting. What do you guys think?

I have the same concern, but all the people I talked to advise me to take the job...because at this point, having a job is better than none, at least you will get some experience. Besides, this job would qualify for the CPA experience requirement

63 months ago

a in Buffalo, New York said: I have the same concern, but all the people I talked to advise me to take the job...because at this point, having a job is better than none, at least you will get some experience. Besides, this job would qualify for the CPA experience requirement

I believe if only the corporate income tax section will qualify for the experience and the sales tax and investigation section will not. They accepted me to the sales tax division. So that's another reason why I'm uncertain whether taking this job is worth it.

fyi in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

to help you deside. Do you want a job or CPA experience? After you work for the state you can not work for the private sector after 2 years.

63 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: to help you deside. Do you want a job or CPA experience? After you work for the state you can not work for the private sector after 2 years.

Do you know if there is a time limit of when you need to get the CPA experience by? Is working for a pubic accounting firm considered the private sector?

fyi in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

there is no time limit. But you must summit your application for NYS by 8/1/2009. If you only have a BA/BS.

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

o yeah i forgot about that...i got accepted into corporate.
I am almost positive there is no time limit on getting the CPA experience. I don't think public accounting firms are considered as private sector because I have heard of people switching from gov to public.
fyi...how did you find out the 2 years "probation" from private sector?

fyi in Bronx, New York

63 months ago

For NYS here is the link. www.op.nysed.gov/cpalic.htm and go to requirements. It would give you all the info. I use to work for NYS Tax before, and that was my problem. But in today's market, think. A job or CPA. That is all.

63 months ago

a in Buffalo, New York said: o yeah i forgot about that...i got accepted into corporate.
I am almost positive there is no time limit on getting the CPA experience. I don't think public accounting firms are considered as private sector because I have heard of people switching from gov to public.
fyi...how did you find out the 2 years "probation" from private sector?

Where are you from in buffalo? I just graduated from suny buffalo this spring. The code of conduct says soemthing about the 2 years probation.

63 months ago

fyi in Bronx, New York said: For NYS here is the link. www.op.nysed.gov/cpalic.htm and go to requirements. It would give you all the info. I use to work for NYS Tax before, and that was my problem. But in today's market, think. A job or CPA. That is all.

So from your personal experience, do you think it's better to get the job or the CPA experience? I heard it's less likely that a public accounting firm will hire you if you came out from govt accounting.

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

accounting in New York, New York said: Where are you from in buffalo? I just graduated from suny buffalo this spring. The code of conduct says soemthing about the 2 years probation.

wow small world...i graduated from UB too (2 yrs ago tho). Did you go through recruiting season?

fyi...what division did you used to work for in NYS tax? I am still concern that I won't be able to switch into public in the future.

63 months ago

Yea i did, but I got no offer. There were a lot less jobs posted this year than last year.

Reyup in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

you guys might want to ask questions about career paths and things like that on
accounting. com

there's a discussion board there about careers, and most of the people who post there are practicing accountants.

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

Thanks Reyup! I am browsing through the discussion board now.

accounting...let me know what your decision is

63 months ago

a in Buffalo, New York said: Thanks Reyup! I am browsing through the discussion board now.

accounting...let me know what your decision is

I'm actually emailing some alumnis from the UB telementor program to ask for some advice. Hopefully they'll respond soon. I havent made my final decision yet. Are you definitely accepting the job?

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

I have already accepted the offer, because they only gave me a day to decide. I really don't have much choice.
Yeah hopefully they will get back to you soon! Def. let me know.
When do you have to make the decision by.

63 months ago

a in Buffalo, New York said: I have already accepted the offer, because they only gave me a day to decide. I really don't have much choice.
Yeah hopefully they will get back to you soon! Def. let me know.
When do you have to make the decision by.

Hey, my tax professor got back to me and she told me that she knows of professionals who started in government and found jobs in public accounting. As for the 2 year probation, I'm not really sure on what that includes.

They actually called me to make the offer and asked me on the spot if I was still interested. I'm not sure if that was considered as accepting the offer because I said I was, but I didn't sign any papers or anything. She said she will send some papers to me. It was quite vague.

a in Buffalo, New York

63 months ago

accounting in New York, New York said: Hey, my tax professor got back to me and she told me that she knows of professionals who started in government and found jobs in public accounting. As for the 2 year probation, I'm not really sure on what that includes.

They actually called me to make the offer and asked me on the spot if I was still interested. I'm not sure if that was considered as accepting the offer because I said I was, but I didn't sign any papers or anything. She said she will send some papers to me. It was quite vague.

yeah I read the 2 yrs probation thing...it really doesn't explain much.
the papers they sent u in the mail are just direct deposit form, I9, W4 etc...i hope they won't make us sign a 2 yrs contract.
Did your professor say if those people find a job in tax or audit?

63 months ago

a in Buffalo, New York said: yeah I read the 2 yrs probation thing...it really doesn't explain much.
the papers they sent u in the mail are just direct deposit form, I9, W4 etc...i hope they won't make us sign a 2 yrs contract.
Did your professor say if those people find a job in tax or audit?

She didn't say what jobs they were specifically. She just told me that she knows of professionals who started in government and found jobs later in cpa firms.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.