CPA without an accounting degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Faten Alraii in Canyon country, California

7 months ago

I have BA degree in English Literature. I took the required 24 units in accounting and 24 units in Business and took the CPA exam. I passed the exam but I am having a trouble getting a job as an intern or a volunteer. I know that there are about 30 units new requirements that I am planning to take in a community college, but I am afraid that not having a degree in accounting will still be a problem in getting a job. Does anybody have the same situation and were you able to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

7 months ago

I don't know anyone with this problem in Texas. Maybe your difficulty is related to the job market in California. Or, perhaps you're applying at places where they only hire new accountants they've recruited from college campuses. Plus, interns are often students majoring in accounting. These people then get priority for permanent jobs after graduation.

Focus on applying for jobs at smaller local accounting firms rather than national or regional operations in the top 20 by size. You’re allowed to obtain your experience requirement for CPA licensing by working under the supervision of any existing CPA – including one with a solo practice or a small partnership with another CPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.