Career Change: Accountant or Paralegal?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Tara in Chicago, Illinois

101 months ago

Hello,

I am 35 years old and I would like to start a new career. I have a rather varied and experienced past job profile; model, bartender, administrative assistant, photography assistant, film production manager, and currently, a media analyst for top pharmaceutical companies.

I need a relatively stable and well-paying career, and I am willing to go back to school to "land the job".

I already have a BA in Anthropology.

I see that to become a paralegal I should obtain a certificate through an ABA-approved program, but to become an accountant...I can either get a 2nd Bachelor's or try for a Master's in Accounting. Also, what types of jobs and salaries are out there for a non-CPA accountant with a degree in Accounting?

Which job would you choose? I do understand that ultimately this should and will be my choice, but since both of these industries are brand new to me, I would like some objective opinions from people who know.

Becoming a paralegal seems to be a quicker process, but on multiple forums I have heard of the horrors of stress in this field.

I should also note that I think that I would enjoy either of these jobs equally.

How would you compare job stability, job growth/openings, job stress, and salary for these two career paths?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

richlaurenzi in Frankfort, Illinois

101 months ago

Hi Tara my company is staffing and training right now for business offices in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. If you would like more info email me at rlaurenzi@sbcglobal.net. have a Great Day !

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.