A Couple of Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

DC in Washington, District of Columbia

54 months ago

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to give me.

I am a recent law school graduate currently studying to take the bar exam and I am very interested in finding a job in accounting, preferably in Tax in general. I received my BS in Business Administration with a focus in Accounting in 2007 and went straight through to law school so I have limited accounting experience. I am currently considering an entry level tax position with a multinational corporation, however, I have a concern about what effect this might have on my possible future mobility into the public accounting sector. Is there large difficulty moving from private to public accounting? After a few years in this position would a move to a public accounting firm be nearly impossible?

Secondly I had a question about the the usefulness of my JD in Accounting, and Tax specifically. I have been told that passing the bar exam and being a member of the bar is an adequate replacement for taking and passing the CPA exam. I have always figured that I would take the CPA exam eventually, however, after studying for the bar exam I would love a slight break before jumping back into studying for another exam. Is this true or just an urban legend of sorts?

Thank you again for all of your help, it is sincerely appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodger in San Gabriel, California

52 months ago

I met a person who did 1 year of tax at Deloitte, then went on to a law firm with a JD. Tax & Law is a great combination and can lead to being a tax lawyer.
I don't know much about getting a JD, but trust me I needed a huge break after passing the CPA Exam (all 4 sections).
Sounds like you're going into the right direction with tax since you have a law degree.
Sorry if I didn't answer your questions. Just commenting :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.