Does a career in accounting require exceptional math aptitude?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

mal108 in Round Rock, Texas

66 months ago

Need help from anyone who is an accountant or in a related financial services profession.

I am an undergrad marketing major looking to make a career change. I applied for a Masters of Accountancy program and was accepted, however the program didn't require the submission of GMAT/GRE scores.

I was already scheduled to take the test, so went ahead and took it. My quantitative scores were very disappointing (in spite of sufficient prep). I've always considered myself at least equally balanced between math & verbal abilities and my gpa reflects as much.

Am I doomed as an accountant if I'm not a math superstar? Thanks much for the input...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Numbrluvr in San Jacinto, California

64 months ago

mal108 in Round Rock, Texas said: Need help from anyone who is an accountant or in a related financial services profession.

I am an undergrad marketing major looking to make a career change. I applied for a Masters of Accountancy program and was accepted, however the program didn't require the submission of GMAT/GRE scores.

I was already scheduled to take the test, so went ahead and took it. My quantitative scores were very disappointing (in spite of sufficient prep). I've always considered myself at least equally balanced between math & verbal abilities and my gpa reflects as much.

Am I doomed as an accountant if I'm not a math superstar? Thanks much for the input...

There is a common misconception held by the public that you have to be good at math to be an accountant. Accountants do work with numbers, yes, but as far as math goes the most maths typically used is simple adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and in the case of depreciation, calculations involving percentages. And most of that is done with computer programs like Excel.

Accounting jobs do not need people who are math whiz, accounting is a subject that requires a lot of analysis on how to run businesses and it’s about providing the solutions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.