Entry Level CPA job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 386)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

Frances Nyandemoh in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

I believe from my understanding the 18 months window begins from the day you pass one part of the test. The next remaining three parts needs to be taken and passed before the 18 mohts window expires. Good luck. I am working hard at mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vinita in Providence, Rhode Island

39 months ago

Frances Nyandemoh in Los Angeles, California said: I believe from my understanding the 18 months window begins from the day you pass one part of the test. The next remaining three parts needs to be taken and passed before the 18 mohts window expires. Good luck. I am working hard at mine.

Oh thanks a ton for clarifying that..Good luck with your exam!! I have another question. Is it true that you will not be considered as having completeed your CPA (after clearing all 4 parts) until you work in a public accounting firm?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Belmar, New Jersey

39 months ago

Yes, the first pass notice you get after you pass your first exam tells you the date that score will expire. I think that as you pass each successive test, the expiration dates for the parts you've already passed will appear again (on a cumulative basis) as a reminder to you.

At least in NJ, there is the requirement of at least a year of public accounting or at least audit-related experience, and it has to be under the supervision of an actively-licensed CPA who will sign off on your experience (there is a state form in NJ that he has to complete). I'm not sure if it matters anymore which state the CPA is licensed in (but I am not sure of that!) as long as it is in the US. But after you pass all 4 parts you have submit the actual license application and have your employers provide documentation of your experience and send it directly to the State Accountancy Board. After that, the board will let you know whether your application has been accepted. If it is, you take a 3-hour State Law and Ethics Course, pay a license fee, and the state then issues you a CPA license. THEN you know you are a CPA.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Elgin, Illinois

39 months ago

Hi Liz,

Your banking background ought to help. I started out as an A/R clerk and worked my way to accounts assistant prior to earning my degree in accounting. Long story short, another woman who worked with me had banking experience. She worked her way up like I did. It took a couple of years. Have you considered applying for a position as a bank branch manager? Or you may consider applying for accounting jobs within the bank industry as you already have the bank experience. You would have an advantage there. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vinita in Providence, Rhode Island

39 months ago

Thanks a lot MJ..I think I'll find out the state requirement w.r.t work ex for me..thanks and all the best to you!!

Andy in Delaware

38 months ago

Here is my issue. I have worked for a big bank for 12 years working in back office accounting operations. I was recently laid off and have begun to study for the cpa exam.

I realize that to work for a smaller private firm or even a big four, the pay wil be significantly less than what I was making due to my inexperience in the public sector. I was promoted steadily at the bank and will be taking a serious pay cut.

I have two choices. Go work for another financial services company and get more and different experience while studying for the cpa exam until I pass.... and then find a public job.

or bite the salary bullet and start over and get experience while studying for the exam, then obtaining my hours required.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Andy in Delaware said: Here is my issue. I have worked for a big bank for 12 years working in back office accounting operations. I was recently laid off and have begun to study for the cpa exam.

I realize that to work for a smaller private firm or even a big four, the pay wil be significantly less than what I was making due to my inexperience in the public sector. I was promoted steadily at the bank and will be taking a serious pay cut.

I have two choices. Go work for another financial services company and get more and different experience while studying for the cpa exam until I pass.... and then find a public job.

or bite the salary bullet and start over and get experience while studying for the exam, then obtaining my hours required.

I have almost the same problem. Most of my experience is in back office ops which I am just finding temp work in. No one will look at me for a general accounting position even in non public. I have too considered studying for CPA but my age (I am 36) and inexperience will make me ineligible for any public accounting job according to recruiters I have spoken to. I don't think anyone would hire me at a lower level at a non Big 4 or mid size CPA firm because they would rather have the 'just out of school' twentysomething kid.

38 months ago

Also, I currently have a BA in Accounting & MS in Finance. I am eligible to sit for the CPA but getting work experience due to my age (even if it isn't stated) and lack of experience would be the huge issue.
I am also not working at present which also disqualifies me from any accounting position. Studying for your CPA doesn't count if you aren't working

Andy in Wilmington, Delaware

38 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Also, I currently have a BA in Accounting & MS in Finance. I am eligible to sit for the CPA but getting work experience due to my age (even if it isn't stated) and lack of experience would be the huge issue.
I am also not working at present which also disqualifies me from any accounting position. Studying for your CPA doesn't count if you aren't working

Why do you say that studying for the CPA while unemployed doesn't help? You could quit work to study for any type of certification or graduate school.

The main issue (I am 35)is that all the years of back office operations didn't really help me much. Sure I was moving up the ladder, but it was general and securities accounting. No cpas worked there, so now I am kind of stuck. I plan to study for the cpa exam and sit for a few parts and see how things go. There is no better time to start then now... I am kicking myself for now doing this earlier, so my suggestion is go for it and continue to look for a job. You could always get another back office type of job and study for the cpa exam and once you pass, then cross the bridge of leaving your job for public experience. It is too bad that a big four firm won't utilize the experience we have and take us on with decent pay. I don't mind doing field work or being lower level, but the pay decrease is what would hurt the most.
The realization is that almost every single job wants MBA, CPA or experience with a big four firm. It wouldn't be bad if you could get back into operations, but work under the supervision of a CPA. I don't see that happening though.

Let me know how you make out.

38 months ago

Gee.. I don't know -- just what I have heard from recruiters (who do fill 90% of accounting openings). And I am unemployed now which I said is another eliminating factor not to mention that all I have are scattered temp assignments doing back office ops since 2009 -- many of these temp jobs are in high turnover positions. Like I said, it seems to me that the entry level or 'lower level' accounting jobs goto the just out of school 20 somethings and if you are unemployed in your mid 30's you are SOL
I figure why spend 18 months and $$$$ for something that won't do anything... I got my MS in Finance and found that the only thing recruiters were concerned about was the Resume gap from that -- was asked "Couldn't you have worked full time and 'done that'"?

38 months ago

Andy in Wilmington, Delaware said: Why do you say that studying for the CPA while unemployed doesn't help? You could quit work to study for any type of certification or graduate school.

The realization is that almost every single job wants MBA, CPA or experience with a big four firm. It wouldn't be bad if you could get back into operations, but work under the supervision of a CPA. I don't see that happening though.

Let me know how you make out.

Yes, but they (the big 4) won't take someone who received their CPA in their 30's. And I am not sure that you heard but most companies are eliminating anyone who is unemployed (especially recruiters) and of course age discrimination which starts in your 30's

Andy in Wilmington, Delaware

38 months ago

That is interesting. Personally, I have stayed away from recruiters for the time being simply because they look for jobs locally. You are in decent shape being close to Boston, which has a lot of jobs.
I am looking more openly, maybe chicago or along east coast.

I am just as lost as you are in this mess. I was laid off and now trying to find my way thru the bad economy. There are lots of jobs out there, but to match what you were making is very difficult. It is hard to go for something out of your comfort zone. Do you apply for higher salary later to find out maybe in over your head? or do you take the pay cut to get the relevant experience.

It is the same as getting your mba/masters and being able to utilize the degree. Or your cpa or cfa certification and using it.

My strategy is to take my time and look for the right job on this site, linkedin, monster, study for the cpa exam and just let the chips fall where they may land. Maybe you could try to work for another company and do back office but in their accounting department?

By any chance did you work for stt.

38 months ago

Andy in Wilmington, Delaware said: That is interesting. Personally, I have stayed away from recruiters for the time being simply because they look for jobs locally. You are in decent shape being close to Boston, which has a lot of jobs.
I am looking more openly, maybe chicago or along east coast.

I am just as lost as you are in this mess. I was laid off and now trying to find my way thru the bad economy. There are lots of jobs out there, but to match what you were making is very difficult. It is hard to go for something out of your comfort zone. Do you apply for higher salary later to find out maybe in over your head? or do you take the pay cut to get the relevant experience.

It is the same as getting your mba/masters and being able to utilize the degree. Or your cpa or cfa certification and using it.

My strategy is to take my time and look for the right job on this site, linkedin, monster, study for the cpa exam and just let the chips fall where they may land. Maybe you could try to work for another company and do back office but in their accounting department?

By any chance did you work for stt.

Thanks but unfortunately no I am not in 'decent' shape. There may be 'lots' of jobs but unfortunately if you are unemployed and worse have 'bad credit' you have very limited options. I passed two parts of the CPA but let that lapse because it seemed to open zero doors because I didn't have any public experience and as I said it isn't an issue about starting at a lower level since recruiters will usually pick someone with 1-5 years of experience for those roles.

38 months ago

{{Why do you say that studying for the CPA while unemployed doesn't help? You could quit work to study for any type of certification or graduate school. }}

Did that in 2001 & 2002 to get my MS degree in Finance. When I earned the degree all I got were questions from recruiters on why I would do 'such a thing' without having a company pay for it. Many (as well as hiring managers) told me that I should leave it off my Resume because it showed I lacked focus and created a large gap in my work history

Tom in Denver, Colorado

38 months ago

I have a same situation. I have passed CPA exams three years ago, but no accounting experience. Right now, it is true that all the employers are focusing on experiences but not CPA licence.

Nikki in Sunnyvale, California said: Hey Guys,

I have passed my CPA exams last year with excellent scores and
now its been 4 months I am looking for job and have not receive any response from cpa firms. I have also posted my resume to every job sites, but this doesn't help me much.
I guess, they don't care whether u passed cpa exams or not, they only care about how much experience u have and unfortunately I lack US experience.

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

For the new york accountants looking for public experience. Have you guys tried looking for accounting job in hosptials, non profits or other organizations not just public accounting. Im hoping this job market for accountants is not as bad as you guys are saying. What about just interning? How your job search now. Thanks.

38 months ago

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York said: For the new york accountants looking for public experience. Have you guys tried looking for accounting job in hosptials, non profits or other organizations not just public accounting. Im hoping this job market for accountants is not as bad as you guys are saying. What about just interning? How your job search now. Thanks.

I don't know how old you are but that only works if you are a new or recent grad. Passing the CPA doesn't mean anything without experience especially if you are 'older' (I mean say age 30 and up). I don't know if I am continue with the other 2 parts since recruiters have told me that the CPA would be useless for me without the public experience by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in pa in Wilmington, Delaware

38 months ago

Nick L you could have passed all of the cpa exam by now since the discussion I recall having with you here a year ago. Even then you had the same perceptions. I am 35 live in Philadelphia PA , passed all of the CPA this year and there is no reason you can't do it too! I was unemployed just like you and made the effort which had shined for me now. Please stop pitying yourself and make the move. You will do MUCH better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

joe in pa in Wilmington, Delaware said: Nick L you could have passed all of the cpa exam by now since the discussion I recall having with you here a year ago. Even then you had the same perceptions. I am 35 live in Philadelphia PA , passed all of the CPA this year and there is no reason you can't do it too! I was unemployed just like you and made the effort which had shined for me now. Please stop pitying yourself and make the move. You will do MUCH better!

What move exactly??You don't know my situation so how can you assume that is the solution.?? I have been told by recruiters that I am basically unemployable due to my unstable work history and that really I am too old for the CPA since having a CPA without experience is basically worthless -- have you not heard that many companies & recruiters will not consider people who are unemployed either??

Do you have any concrete specific advice or just hedonistic optimism pull yourself up by your bootstaps 'think positively' type of nonsense?? I try to portray a positive attitude but I do not have the specific experience that will allow me to get hired as an accountant and having a CPA nor not having one won't make a difference at this point

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

joe in pa in Wilmington, Delaware said: Nick L you could have passed all of the cpa exam by now since the discussion I recall having with you here a year ago. Even then you had the same perceptions. I am 35 live in Philadelphia PA , passed all of the CPA this year and there is no reason you can't do it too! I was unemployed just like you and made the effort which had shined for me now. Please stop pitying yourself and make the move. You will do MUCH better!

Again nice 'cheerleading' pull yourself up by your bootstaps type of talk. You should be a guest on a radio talk show or on CNBC since people are unemployed because they A) don't think 'positively' or B) are considered damaged goods based on their work history or C) aren't really looking because they enjoy collecting $600 a week in unemployment checks.

Again, I have talked to real people in the field objectively and recruiters & hiring mangers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe in pa in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

my point exactly is why would you allow a recruiter to dictate what you are and are not capable of doing? If you finish your CPA you will find work much easier than without it. Recruiters are only interested in you that very minute. Why would you sit out and not pursue your CPA just because of what a recruiter's opinion is?

That to me is weak. I spoke to you 12 months ago regarding bankruptcy in the indeed forum and you were telling me the same things then that you are posting now? I was unemployed, filed chapter 13 passed the CPA got employed.

Why cant you do it too?
Also we are the same age. I am 36. Get your CPA finished, print your resume, and walk into the CPA offices and present yourself in person. That is going to really give a nice first impression and could even land you the interview. It wont get you a BIG 4 but it will get you into a group of CPA's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in pa in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

You are completely right. I should be a guest on a radio talk show. Do you want to know why?

A- I filed bankruptcy in 2009
B- I had two ankle/arch reconstructions in 2010
C- I passed all of the CPA exam in 2010 while I was unemployed AND disabled.
D- I put on a suit and went to interviews with a well thought out resume and was VERY prepared, and guess what? I got hired.

IT is your negative outlook that is holding you down, it is very clear in your writing that your tone is negative.

Being in debt will not hold you down in an interview if you take the opportunity to explain to a hiring manager that you had a debt problem, you are trying to correct it, and you have made a positive out of a negative by doing the CPA and taking the next move in your career.

After all, who would not understand a debt problem at this point in time? Didn't the Dodgers just file bankruptcy? That's right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

vvm in Montreal, Quebec

38 months ago

People, CPA is worth getting no matter what (the "I did it!" feeling adds confidence), but just don't expect much once you get it. It's not what it used to be. It's like with MBA etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Eugene, Oregon

37 months ago

Frances Nyandemoh in Los Angeles, California said: I have a BSc in Accounting with a GPA of 3.8, and a MBA with specialization in Public Finance. I am currently working on my CPA to be licence in state of california. I was to know if teaching accounting, auditing,and taxation can be counted as experience, other than working for a CPA firm. To be precise, I want to know if while teaching and been supervised by a CPA who can signed off on my skills can count as work experience for one year.

The state board can give you more information, but I would assume this does not meet requirements for licensing. Experience requirements are usually specific to performance of attestation or tax services.

LKS in Garden City, New York

37 months ago

MJ in Belmar, New Jersey said: Yes, the first pass notice you get after you pass your first exam tells you the date that score will expire. I think that as you pass each successive test, the expiration dates for the parts you've already passed will appear again (on a cumulative basis) as a reminder to you.

At least in NJ, there is the requirement of at least a year of public accounting or at least audit-related experience, and it has to be under the supervision of an actively-licensed CPA who will sign off on your experience (there is a state form in NJ that he has to complete). I'm not sure if it matters anymore which state the CPA is licensed in (but I am not sure of that!) as long as it is in the US. But after you pass all 4 parts you have submit the actual license application and have your employers provide documentation of your experience and send it directly to the State Accountancy Board. After that, the board will let you know whether your application has been accepted. If it is, you take a 3-hour State Law and Ethics Course, pay a license fee, and the state then issues you a CPA license. THEN you know you are a CPA.

Good luck!

Hi,

I have been reading your comments that have been posted over 30 months. My situation is similar and I am eager to know if you have made any progress in getting CPA work experience.

LKS in Garden City, New York

37 months ago

MJ in Belmar, New Jersey said: I don't know about California, but in NJ they want to see audit-related experience. I just got my CPA license in NJ, and I know that here, except for full-time professors, teaching can count toward CPE once you get your license, but I don't think my prior taxation teaching experience counted at all towards the 1-year requirement. It had to be public accounting experience, and they had a checklist of audit-related activities for my employer to fill out. But your state may be different. I think the NASBA website had links to all the state requirements. Good luck.

I just saw this, I was reading from the bottom up. Congratulations! You give me hope. Did I read you are also an attorney?

Asim in Las Vegas, Nevada

37 months ago

dharani in Bridgewater, New Jersey said: Hi , I am in the same boat . I passed two parts of the CPA exam , taking the other two in OCT/Nov and desperately trying for a job . I have an MBA from India but no work experience here .

Hi CAn you advise me what you did after CPA, Because I am on same boat and getting the same prblem.

Thanks

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

Isnt there a demand for cpa in government jobs? like IRS

Ray in Miami, Florida

37 months ago

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York said: Isnt there a demand for cpa in government jobs? like IRS

Nope, they've been on a freeze for a while now.

KN in Sacramento, California

37 months ago

I've graduated with my BS in Biology and a minor in Business Admin from a prestige University. I am now doing my MBA and am debating if I should concentrate in Accounting. The reason I say debating is because I want to know if there are any accelerated Accounting programs out there after the core MBA courses are completed.

I live in California and from what I know the CPA exam requires 24 units of business related courses and 24 accounting. I have only taken the basic Accounting courses-6units to be exact, so I believe that leaves me with 18 units of courses to make up.

I know it is a bit of a transition, but I am willing to make that move. I also don't have much work experience related to Accounting, I am in the process of getting a personal banker position and hopefully through time move my way around to maybe find something accounting related?

So my questions are:
1) Are there any accelerated programs I can take after my MBA to complete my Accounting requirements or is it best to just concentrate in Accounting?
2) What kind of work experience do you suggest for a newbie like me to get into? Maybe shadow a CPA and/or internship while I work full-time for my other position?

Thank You

engineer in Anniston, Alabama

36 months ago

Hello,

There is open Accountant Assistant available here in Phenix City, AL. We are Automotive Manufacturer that supplies parts to well known auto makers in the world.

If you are interested, please forward your resume to phenixcity7@gmail.com. I will glady forward your resume to HR.

I must say that this is entry level position so don't expect high salary.

Ghalley in Lansing, Michigan

36 months ago

Hi,
I live in Lansing, MI. I came to the USA in late 2008 as a refugee from Bhutan (a tiny landlocked country in Asia) with nothing but a hope of living American dream.
I had my master degree in accounting from the University of Mumbai, India and did my Associate degree in Accounting from Lansing Community College to fulfill cpa exam credit requirement. I am technically proficient in Quickbook, Access & Excel 2007. I successfully passed all four sections of the CPA exam in May, 2011. Since then, I have been desperately looking for entry level accounting jobs/internship in any type/size of CPA firms to fulfill 2000 hrs experience requirment for my licensure. But I am not getting any response from them.
Any inputs/suggestion or help from anyone in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Leila in Lewisville, Texas

36 months ago

How is it even possible to sit for the CPA exam with no accounting work experience?? isnt it one of the requirements? or does differ from state to state?

Leila in Lewisville, Texas

36 months ago

I have bachelors in business Admin. I didnt take enough accounting courses, only after graduating did I decide to get into Accounting field. Now I have over 2 years of accounting experience but I am currently unemployed. I know I need to get an MBA/CPA to be competitive. I cant afford to get MBA right now, sure i can take student loan but I don't want that. Should I wait til after i'm employed to go grad school so employer can pay for it?

Jennifer in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

I have bachelors in business Admin. and plan on taking my CPA but i need the additional 25 hours to qualify to sit for the exam and I would rather get experience working prior to taking the exam.
Would working as a tax preparer companies such as H&R block or Liberty Tax Service look good on a resume for accounting experience?

Or should i go back to school and start preparing to sit for the exam?

J in Denver, Colorado

36 months ago

Jennifer in Austin, Texas said: I have bachelors in business Admin. and plan on taking my CPA but i need the additional 25 hours to qualify to sit for the exam and I would rather get experience working prior to taking the exam.
Would working as a tax preparer companies such as H&R block or Liberty Tax Service look good on a resume for accounting experience?

Or should i go back to school and start preparing to sit for the exam?

Why not take the CPA exam with Maine or other states? There are states do not require education hours in accounting. I'd suggest do your research and take it with some other state board. If you wish, you can switch over to your state's board of accountancy after you obtain your license, which should be fairly easy.

dan in Diamond Bar, California

36 months ago

I dont think that you can switch prior to obtaining your experinece. I have passed all four sections of the CPA exams in CA. I do not have experinece and I have been unemployed since september of last year.

Grace Beavis in Australia

36 months ago

hi Dan,

Do you want to try applying to www.cliffordcurran.com.au

Joyce

35 months ago

I just started an accounting program at an local technical college and from the comments I don't know if I have done the right thing. I had gotten my real estate license when real estate fell so now I am trying something new. I was an night auditor for a few hotels in the area and got tired of the general manager getting all of the money that I deserved doing her job. What do I do now?

sophie in Corona, California

35 months ago

Seems like I'm not alone. I had accouting degree oversea and MBA in US. I didn't want to do accounting when I graduated, so I took the job as market research analyst for a big manufacturer in CA.

After 3 years as analyst, I don't see my clear future in this road, so I passed all CPA exams and hope to go back to accounting. I was so sure it will be easy because it's not hard to get into big 4 when I graduated. Now almost 1 year has passed, I have talked to many recruiters and referred by friends to big 4, no good news. They think I'm out of school for too long(3 years). I have also contacted top 50 firms in US, still no reply. I'm now working on small firms.

I don't care about pay, don't care about location. I just want to get in public accounting when I'm still young...Is it that hard? Can someone give any advice? Do I have good chance with small accounting firms? Or should I start with corporate accounting? But once starting with corporate accounting, the chance to go to public accounting will be little, right?

Patty in Elgin, Illinois

35 months ago

I am thinking it is best to start back in large corporates. I was at a small manufacturing company for less than a year when business slowed down. I am now back in the job market. At least I am still in school.

Patty in Elgin, Illinois

35 months ago

Are you interested in teaching at the college level at all? It might be useful to pursue your doctorate degree. There are scholarships available along with stipends for doctorate students. Check out the AICPA's website for more information.

Audioque in Hacienda Heights, California

35 months ago

Rong in Evergreen Park, Illinois said: I called some accounting firms and wish to work as volunteer,but the responses are we do not need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!how terrible it is

We had those before. My boss is very reluctant to even train his employees too well. Let alone a volunteer for fear that his clients get snatched away probably or training his future competitors (want to be a partner? it's a family owned business. Don't even think about it) Also, if you do something incorrectly, the client is slapped with a penalty or more tax and they could lose a client. If they're holding a paycheck over your head, you have more incentive to do things carefully.

Learning and experience don't come free.

J in Denver, Colorado

35 months ago

Just thought it would be nice to share with all you guys (Just wanted to be clear that I am not writing this to boast, but just letting you guys know that there are ways to get into Big 4 even without the accounting experience). I just got an offer from one of the Big 4, as internal audit associate position (experienced hire) without the accounting experience.

Just a little bit about myself, I have about 4 yrs of banking/lending experience with some community bank and some regional banks in CA. I have passed 3 parts of the exam, and I am currently studying for the AUD section. I was trying to make this career change since 2008, and I have applied at least 100 times to Big 4 and some national reputable accounting firms. Result? Not a single phone call from the recruiter. My resume basically had couple years of banking experience (credit admin/ underwriting/ lender). I studied for the accounting by taking night courses at local community college after work, and completed enough units for the exam and started taking the test.

Being ignorant, it took me some time to learn that the best and the easiest way to get into Big 4 is through networking. I have asked all people around me (and I mean nearly everyone I know) if they knew anyone at Big 4. Some of my friends had their friends working at Big 4, I would ask them for their contact information, and wrote them e-mails. I had couple of friends who have had interview with the hiring manager at Big 4 few years ago (but no offers), and I have asked my friend to shoot that hiring manager an e-mail so that I can ask some questions and get some advice how to put my first step into Big 4. I have contacted at least 10 different current Big 4 employees, positions varying from directors, managers, sr. associates and associates, and their location varied from Southern CA, Northern CA, IL, and NY (and I have never met any of them till today). I e-mailed them asking if I can get some advice. Eventually, one person responded (no

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Austin, Texas

35 months ago

J in Denver, Colorado said: Just thought it would be nice to share with all you guys (Just wanted to be clear that I am not writing this to boast, but just letting you guys know that there are ways to get into Big 4 even without the accounting experience). I just got an offer from one of the Big 4, as internal audit associate position (experienced hire) without the accounting experience.

Thank you for sharing this gives me hope.

J in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

I think it got cut-off. It continues from my earlier post...

Eventually, one person responded (not in the same office I got the offer from), forwarded my resume to the office near my area, and the same day, I got the phone call from the Big 4 recruiter. I mean, I’ve tried 3 years to get that phone call and it didn’t work, and with couple of e-mails back and forth with one hiring manager at another office has referred me and I received a phone call. I was fortunate enough to be referred to one of the division that handles bank internal audits, which I will be able to utilize my experience from the lending field. I just put in my 2 wks with my current bank employer, and I am waiting for my first day with Big 4.

I know people say there are not much things to do even if one passes all 4 sections of their CPA exam and it is extremely difficult to get into the accounting field, but just letting you know, there are ways. I graduated from top 50 college in US (nothing impressive), with Econ major (not even an accounting major). Just thought it would be nice to share with all you guys and give you hope (not a false hope). I’ve enjoyed and will continue to enjoy reading this forum, and good luck to all of you on this forum here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Elgin, Illinois

35 months ago

Congrats J! I know it took a while, but at least you are in. That is promising for the rest of us. I too started my career based on my education, experience, and resume. Although I would help others, I felt like I would be asking too much of them. I was an independant do not need networking type before the double recession. However, I am starting to ask friends and former colleagues for assistance. I have been surprised and am grateful at how many of my former colleagues have been very supportive. Best wishes to you in your new career!

bgoff14 in Columbia, South Carolina

34 months ago

I'm glad to have found this forum. I too am over 40 with a BA in Accounting (Masters in something else) and trying to find an entry-leve accounting position while I study for the exam. I look forward to reading about other people's trials, successes and good advice.

TDuncan in Fishers, Indiana

34 months ago

Hi All:

I am working with a couple firms (Oakbrook, IL and Palto Alto, CA). If anyone has tax experience here are the postings:

Don’t overlook this great opportunity for a tax management professional in the Oakbrook, IL area. Bring your CPA and tax experience to a firm that will reward you for your past, current and future efforts. This firm works primarily with family owned middle-market business and high net worth individuals. This firm offers a great culture with good balance and lots of opportunity for those ambitious enough to pursue it. There is a lot of area for growth and development in this firm and the right person will be one with a desire to work in a broad number of areas, willing to grow with the firm and participate in marketing activities, as well as someone who is comfortable communicating with clients.

This firm has an excellent reputation and is seeking a CPA with experience in all areas of tax (all entity types) as well as having multi-state tax and international tax experience with an entrepreneurial spirit. Experience working with privately held mid-size companies, completing multiple returns within a specified period, and a minimum of 3 years experience in the tax area will get your resume noticed for this role.

If you would be interested in discussing this role further, please email your CV to sjohnson@inovautus.com with Tax Role and Oakbrook in the subject line or Tax Supervisor/CA in the subject line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

TDuncan in Fishers, Indiana said: Hi All:

I am working with a couple firms (Oakbrook, IL and Palto Alto, CA). If anyone has tax experience here are the postings:

Don’t overlook this great opportunity for a tax management professional in the Oakbrook, IL area. Bring your CPA and tax experience to a firm that will reward you for your past, current and future efforts. This firm works primarily with family owned middle-market business and high net worth individuals. This firm offers a great culture with good balance and lots of opportunity for those ambitious enough to pursue it. There is a lot of area for growth and development in this firm and the right person will be one with a desire to work in a broad number of areas, willing to grow with the firm and participate in marketing activities, as well as someone who is comfortable communicating with clients.

This firm has an excellent reputation and is seeking a CPA with experience in all areas of tax (all entity types) as well as having multi-state tax and international tax experience with an entrepreneurial spirit. Experience working with privately held mid-size companies, completing multiple returns within a specified period, and a minimum of 3 years experience in the tax area will get your resume noticed for this role.

If you would be interested in discussing this role further, please email your CV to sjohnson@inovautus.com with Tax Role and Oakbrook in the subject line or Tax Supervisor/CA in the subject line.

Post an ad for this NOT IN THE DISCUSSION FORUMS....

The topic for this discussion is ENTRY LEVEL CPA.. THREE YEARS experience is NOT entry level and if you had basic comprehension skills you should know that these forums are for discussion not for ads..

Of course I am sure that the experience required is very specific and they won't consider anyone with less than 100% of the requirements or who have been unemployed longer than a month.

G==

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.