Entry Level CPA job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 384)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

TDuncan in Fishers, Indiana

46 months ago

Actually I do have an "entry level" role at this point too, but I have over 200 applicants for one role. When looking for an entry level role, the best way to find one is to network with other professionals in the industry. I found my first role by working a couple internships through college, doing a great job and getting hired with the firm after my internship was over. I have never had to post an entry level role with any of the firms I have managed or worked with as we always have an over abundance of great entry level talent to choose from. We generally start with the interns that have worked for us. If there isn't an intern available than we work though a couple of the colleges. So, as I said earlier, it would be a good idea to network with other accounting graduates from your school and start getting out to the AICPA meetings to network with the professionals in your area. Taking an unpaid internship or working part time for a great firm can also be a way that networking pays off in terms of an actual paid position.

With the number of individuals doling out advice, is it wrong to assume that someone who is happily giving out advice would not see the great job as well and actually have the 3 years or more of experience? The posting did NOT say, it was an entry level role. I do take it personally that someone would assume that "recruiters" in general have no idea about what we are looking for. I have an advanced degree in finance/economics and would happily discuss the qualifications of any of the roles in our firms or our firms we are partnered with. I also know that being involved in discussion groups and other forums has attracted MANY GREAT candidates to our firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

46 months ago

To the Recruiter above:

You either lack complete reading comprehension or logic skills or are just a troll. This thread has to do with finding an ENTRY LEVEL job. Why would you post a position that requires THREE YEARS of SPECIFIC experience in a discussion forum (that violates the Terms of Use) that has to do with finding a job at the entry level.

If you want to 'network' with professionals, goto an actual professional conference or event. don't troll discussion forums hoping someone who doesn't know from Adam will naively refer someone to you (to which you will probably offer nothing in return)

Yes, I at least knew it wasn't an entry level role that is why I questioned why you would come here and post a position that no one would likely (at least in your mind) be qualified for.

Oh, you have an 'advanced degree' in finance? do you have any specific experience in the field (yourself) or just in recruiting??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

TDuncan in Fishers, Indiana

46 months ago

Yes, not sure why I should answer you but I do have experience in the field as well. Several years and that's why I know that in our current firm and previous firms (in finance where I have worked and where I currently work), we had 100's of people trying to get an entry level role. Those that were successful were the ones that worked internships through the firm/college or those that worked very hard networking with professional groups. You act like recruiting is some kind of dirty word. It's part of our HR function within the firm and we work with alot of great recruiters across the country that also have experience in the industry.

As far as offering something in return, I personally have helped several entry level/new graduates get jobs with other firms where friends of mine work (all over the US). I have met lots of great people on discussion boards, in networking meetings, at the AICPA meetings, at National conventions and the multiple trainings that I have personally given or have taken over the years to continue to develop my skills. I don't feel that having 20 years of experience is the end all be all, as things evolve/change every day and being involved in new technology/upcoming technology and legal changes in the field keeps my skills valuable.

Some times it's just as difficult for the 40/50 something looking for a position as it is for the new graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wow in Orange county, CA in Gonzales, Louisiana

46 months ago

This thread has me in shock. I'm so surprised of the number that are similiarly in my position. I graduated with Business admin major conc accounting. Overall gpa was 3.30s but accounting gpa wasn't strong. I was a total slacker. Had a small CPA firm job but left after less than a year, because I essentially learned 90% of the job in 6 months, then recession hit. After being unemployed for 8 months, had an internship at a financial institution. that ended so i began to study for CPA and passed all 4 sections and ethics exam in 2010. Got a temp job at Februray 2011 to today, but still haven't had any success landing a public firm job. i have a sketchy work history due to the recession. I don't have enough experience to be an experienced hire and too out of school to be brought in fresh. I still have friends in big 4 but they can't do much either. It's very fustrating as hell, I'm not sure what else I can do to try and land a job as an auditor. I've emailed, I've written cover letters, looked outside of my area. The whole job finding system is so messed up.

Fustrated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wow in Orange county, CA in Gonzales, Louisiana

46 months ago

Oh yea I'm 26 also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

46 months ago

I am 36 and pretty much have given up on the Accounting & Finance field. I have bad credit combined with an unstable work history renders me unemployable. Even recruiters told me (and I quote) I shouldn't waste my time with CPA because it won't do anything since I graduated so long ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

priya08 in New York, New York

46 months ago

since I am new here, if i make any mistake plz dont get me wrong..
so here is the thing :
I am 24 and I hv completed my MBA from india and then i got married and came here in NY(3 months ago).Then i heard frm some people that volunteering (without pay) in a CPA firm will help me to enhance my skills and it wil give me a good experience .
so , i just want to ask : is that a good idea ..?? or even getting a volunteer job is a tough task to do ..??
plz help me.. plz .. plz..
I am really confused..
your opinion is really precious to me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

louie in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Recently began my MSAcc program online. I currently have a master's degree unrelated to accounting. As this field is relatively new to me, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to where/when I should start looking to get into some sort of accounting work to gain experience. Any thoughts on this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Accountant in Elgin, Illinois

46 months ago

Have you tried applying to the IRS for an audit position or even as a tax advisor to get your foot in the door? I recently had to write a paper for a tax class about five careers for tax personnel. The IRS only requires 6 semester credits in accounting and the ability to pass their entrance exam for the tax advisor position. They just had a recruitment fair at the school that I am attending, so apparently they are seeking new hires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

louie in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Accountant in Elgin, Illinois said: Have you tried applying to the IRS for an audit position or even as a tax advisor to get your foot in the door? I recently had to write a paper for a tax class about five careers for tax personnel. The IRS only requires 6 semester credits in accounting and the ability to pass their entrance exam for the tax advisor position. They just had a recruitment fair at the school that I am attending, so apparently they are seeking new hires.

Thanks.. I will definitely look into that option. I appreciate your response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

louie in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Accountant in Elgin, Illinois said: Have you tried applying to the IRS for an audit position or even as a tax advisor to get your foot in the door? I recently had to write a paper for a tax class about five careers for tax personnel. The IRS only requires 6 semester credits in accounting and the ability to pass their entrance exam for the tax advisor position. They just had a recruitment fair at the school that I am attending, so apparently they are seeking new hires.

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look into this as an option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Zillah, Washington

46 months ago

For a limited time, the Relationship Capital Co. is offering free job search training for your unemployed readers at: RelationshipCapital.CO/JobNetworkingPrimer/?utm_source=bl&utm_medium=sm&utm_content=a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ang in Harker Heights, Texas

46 months ago

Hey all, I'm currently an evironmental science major, and a biology major, but if I sincerely think about it, I don't think I will find much as a biology major other than getting into a health career, which I have considered Optometry. Not too concerned with the environmental science, but was thinking of maybe switching the biology major to accounting, here are a couple of questions, I don't mind doing entry level, how hard is it to do that? and I'll be in my mid 30's when I graduate, will that be an issue? Not sure if this field is youth based/minded thanks..also if you are able to get your foot in the door so to speak, what is the starting salary? I'm currently in Texas..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Buhalterinės paslaugos in Vilnius, Lithuania

46 months ago

David in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Just apply. Many will take you and start you out at easier tasks and then move you on within the year. Or start at a bookkeeping position or A/R and A/P.

I would almost bet you got a job by now. I just wish I had taken the CPA when I was younger.

www.audita.lt/lt/buhalterines_paslaugos/buhalterines_paslaugos.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in San Francisco, California

46 months ago

Hello!

Well if you need to look for entry-level jobs, a pretty good job board i've looked up is linked below. Companies such as Accenture, Deloitte, Talent2 are hiring on these job boards. Here is the link
www.facebook.com/manufacturingsupplychainjobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Lynn, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Again nice 'cheerleading' pull yourself up by your bootstaps type of talk. You should be a guest on a radio talk show or on CNBC since people are unemployed because they A) don't think 'positively' or B) are considered damaged goods based on their work history or C) aren't really looking because they enjoy collecting $600 a week in unemployment checks.

Again, I have talked to real people in the field objectively and recruiters & hiring mangers.

I agree to a point, people join Linkedin to find a job fast. But 1 year later no job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Berkeley, California

45 months ago

i highly recommend facebook's job search engine although it is not very well-known yet. it is highly organized and recruiters prefer facebook/linkedin applicants to craigslist ones. i'm putting the link to the MANUFACTURING & SUPPLY CHAIN JOB BOARD and the LEGAL SERVICE job board for your convenience
on.fb.me/raiqK0
on.fb.me/pDiezy [to look at the job postings, 'like' the page and then click the 'search jobs' tab to look for jobs]

hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Aiken, South Carolina

45 months ago

louie in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Recently began my MSAcc program online. I currently have a master's degree unrelated to accounting. As this field is relatively new to me, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea as to where/when I should start looking to get into some sort of accounting work to gain experience. Any thoughts on this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

i have this notion about accounting and the accounting education. I feel now that you should be able to find comprehensive problems by industry where you complete all the accounting work including notes and preparing the tax documents for the year using paper, self created manual system, and/or accounting software.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Aiken, South Carolina

45 months ago

MJ in Aiken, South Carolina said: i have this notion about accounting and the accounting education. I feel now that you should be able to find comprehensive problems by industry where you complete all the accounting work including notes and preparing the tax documents for the year using paper, self created manual system, and/or accounting software.

i am seeking understanding on the damage good scenario, and I want to find people that share my horrible feeling about the damage good scenario. I want to find more people that i can fit in with. Hiring manager do want to find people that fit into whatever they feel is right.

The damage good scenario denies you advertised opportunity when it is not addressed with immediate remedies to its misapplication. When you do not have a remedy you are a minority that can become a stray and have no right to participate in a ways to enjoy our system.

borrowing to go to school.
seeking license..
being denied scholarships
and an opportunity to participate in things you do well and in places where you admired..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rechal in Jackson, Michigan

45 months ago

Hi,

I am looking forward to take CPA exams in 2012!!! was wondering if any one can help me with the study material!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vvm in Montreal, Quebec

45 months ago

Becker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rechal in Jackson, Michigan

45 months ago

Thank you!!!

Becker is been on my mind to join once I am totally sure to take the exam!!

I was just trying to read before hand as I just finished with MBA and have lost contacts with accounting

Do you still think Becker is the institute which will help to brush up the accounting knowledge!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vvm in Montreal, Quebec

45 months ago

www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/
Just buy the prep course and study on your own. BUT DO STUDY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rechal in Jackson, Michigan

45 months ago

i have ordered some books online from becker itself!!! I am trying to use the CDs but they dont work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray33157 in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Rechal, I am currently using Gleim, I have known a few that have used it and have been successful at the exam. However, many of them say that it overprepares you because its just packed full of stuff. I have no personal knowledge of how good it is because I plan to take my first part in January. Its also alot cheaper, than becker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Alpharetta, Georgia

45 months ago

I passed Audit and BEC using mostley Gleim. I got the online course and the test bank as well as books and CD. The books and CD's were not really necesary. I also used an old Wiley book to suplement BEC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Augusta, Georgia

44 months ago

I passed all four of the parts back in 1997. I was working in an entry level supervisor position for a large newspaper ATL. I had one person under me that handle report distribution, purchases for inventory and travel expenditures. When I passed the exam, I was let go within a week or two. I was threaten as a result of my objection to the acts that would create more instability in my career endeavor. I was able to do the job with ease but the people made a decision that they did not accept me and engaged in conversation about his or her objection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Augusta, Georgia

44 months ago

I have not spoke to one CPA without attending a meeting in I do not know how long. It is a refusal to associate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Neeta in Succasunna, New Jersey

44 months ago

Mary in Belmar, New Jersey said: Woah. It sounds as if things are tough all over. I finished my MBA in 2006, and have already passed 2 of the CPA exams. I'll take the other two in early 2009.

I have not found recruiters helpful at all, but then I have been working for most of the last 35 years, and from my experience, that has always been the case.

I may have to work for a CPA for free just to get a license. We'll all be on welfare by then. My husband is 68 and I'm 54. If you guys are under 30, you should be thankful, because it could be a lot worse, though I guess it doesn't seem that way to you.

Good luck to all in the New Year. Hopefully better days are coming.

Hi Mary in Belmar,
I am currently in the process of a career change to becoming an accountant and I am 40. Are you available to communicate via on the phone or via email about this? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

alibrown in New York, New York

44 months ago

This is the best set of tips i have ever heard on landing a job. I finally know where i went wrong.

www.trustedprofessional.com/stories/young-dec-advice.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Surrey, British Columbia

44 months ago

I am currently a level 4 CGA student, and I am so desperate to get a job in accounting field.

To enhance my qualification, I have been working without pay in a small accounting office for 6-7 months. After 6-7 months of experience, I am finally getting a few interviews. So far, no luck for me yet. Sadly some interviewers question me why I have been working without pay, looking at me like I am an idiot. I am just a determine individual who even quit well paid job in a laboratory to change my career in accounting. Another issue I have is time. Since I am working nearly full-time Mon-Thu, I have not much time to develop network or search for jobs.

Even more frustrating, how the employers nowadays expect entry/junior level person to have 2-3 years of experience. How can I have 2-3 years of experience when nobody is willing to provide me one.

I am trying to stay positive, but as time passes by, I am depressed and upset. Praying to God, Buddha, ancestors, etc, but they seem to be on vacation!

I am now thinking about visiting every single accounting offices nearby and ask managers for openings...

Can anyone advise me anything to get a first job in accounting? I will appreciate any comment or advise.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CdoubleU in Tacoma, Washington

44 months ago

I used Wiley last year to take my CPA exams. I didn't pass at all... Not even close. I have a 3.8 GPA from my Bachelor's in Accounting and I felt that it would be an 'easy' review to just review the books on my own. So during that whole time and now, I've been applying for entry level accounting positions. No luck at all. I have office experience as of right now, I'm an office manager with basic bookkeeping. It is so hard to get into the accounting field and it's really starting to play on my hopes of becoming a 'real' accountant. It is nice to see that people out there can relate to what I'm going through. I really thought that once I got a degree in accounting that it would be easy peasy getting an accounting job. Then I found out that you would need to be a CPA to even knock on their doors....
I just recently (yesterday) enrolled into Becker live classes out in Federal Way for all 4 sections. I am really hoping that works - It's a lot of time and money....
and I hope in the end that its worth it when I pass to be able to get into a company acting as their accountant... I honestly don't want to do something petty for all the money I've spent on my degree and preparations but it sounds like to me that's what everyone is doing...
It's disheartening but I'm hoping in the end it is all worth the hard work!!!!
The economy is so dry... Everytime I look online to see about "why become an accountant" it's because everyone needs an accountant even when the economy sucks... well, I haven't seen that come to light!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Surrey, British Columbia

44 months ago

Thank you for you comment. My mom lives in Federal way as you are, and I would go down to states if a job is offered and live with my mom for a while.

While I was in University, I attended the Becker presentation, and was impressed with the program and the successful passing rate. I would like to register the Becker program to obtain CPA, but financially, I can't afford the fee, which I believe is around $4000 for the full package. I think I need any job as well to take this program because this will take at least year to finish the program.

At least, I am getting some interviews after updating my resume with the internship experience in a accounting office. Perhaps you should find a internship position nearby your house while working for other job, and taking the Becker. Wish you pass all the examination, and hope you get a job in accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Molly in Downers Grove, Illinois

44 months ago

Hello! I’m with Becker CPA Exam Review, and just wanted to let you know that we do offer 0% financing for those who are interested: ow.ly/8n2LK.

James in Surrey, British Columbia said: Thank you for you comment. My mom lives in Federal way as you are, and I would go down to states if a job is offered and live with my mom for a while.

While I was in University, I attended the Becker presentation, and was impressed with the program and the successful passing rate. I would like to register the Becker program to obtain CPA, but financially, I can't afford the fee, which I believe is around $4000 for the full package. I think I need any job as well to take this program because this will take at least year to finish the program.

At least, I am getting some interviews after updating my resume with the internship experience in a accounting office. Perhaps you should find a internship position nearby your house while working for other job, and taking the Becker. Wish you pass all the examination, and hope you get a job in accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Elmont, New York

44 months ago

I honestly thought I was the only one in this situation (same as everyone else, BBA in Accounting, CPA candidate, parts passed, entire exam passed). I'm in shock there is many accounting graduates having trouble finding firm jobs. I don't think it's necessary to work in a big firm, but any firm at this point. I live in the NY Metro area and want to give up also. I have used Becker and failed all 4 parts. You have to study non-stop to pass this exam. I put in about 300 hours for exam. I believe that it's because I'm not working in public accounting. Devote your in entire life to passing the exam and you will pass. I wont give up, I'm 22 and will continue to study everyday until a pass in the near future. I know many people who have taken the exam multiple times. Since I graduated this past summer the public accounting job market has been frustrating. What's even amazing is that I know many people and friends without experience who have jot got jobs in public accounting. Some won't even study for the exam. I'm not giving up. Remain positive about yourself, ask the question though: Do you really want to work in public accounting or become a CPA? I'm answering that question everyday. In the mean time I have been applying for corporate job as I have had interviews with them. Firms and companies are hiring just I think people just us aren't confident about ourselves and the job market. Good luck to everyone as I hope you pass the exam and get your job in public accounting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Darlene in Charlotte, North Carolina

41 months ago

I have two Bachelors degrees, one in Accouting & one in Business Administration. I have taken and passed all four parts of the CPA exam first attempt and have a strong GPA. I do not have any accounting experience as I worked in insurance prior to going back to school for the second degree. I am sending out 2-3 resumes per day and can not get a call back. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ddd

41 months ago

Rrr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in San Jose, California

41 months ago

zora in Upland, California said: Have you found work yet? i'm debating or rather i should take my cpa or if i should go on to grad school and major in heath care management since I have much healthcare experience, and zero accounting experience. I'm not sure what the market is like for those who have passed the exam but have no experience. any advice?

I wouldn't recommend you to take the CPA exams if you don't have the work experience as a CPA. In CA, you need to have work experience for 1 year and 150 units which will be effective in 2014 to get your license. Even after you passed all 4 sections of your CPA exams, you might be struggling finding a job with CPA to get the experience. This is the case for me. I passed all 4 sections of my CPA exams, but I am having a hard time to find job with the public accounting firms. Although CA requires that you work under an active license CPA, it is even harder to know who is an active license cpa if you work for a private or public company. Most of the CPA work for public company are licensed, but they might not be active. This is a dilemma that I do not believe anyone has mentioned in any postings at all. I just want to mention it here so that anyone who thinks of becoming a CPA should find the work experience under an active license CPA first before you committed to the CPA exams. CPA exams are very hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in San Jose, California

41 months ago

J in Los Angeles, California said: I think it got cut-off. It continues from my earlier post...

Eventually, one person responded (not in the same office I got the offer from), forwarded my resume to the office near my area, and the same day, I got the phone call from the Big 4 recruiter. I mean, I’ve tried 3 years to get that phone call and it didn’t work, and with couple of e-mails back and forth with one hiring manager at another office has referred me and I received a phone call. I was fortunate enough to be referred to one of the division that handles bank internal audits, which I will be able to utilize my experience from the lending field. I just put in my 2 wks with my current bank employer, and I am waiting for my first day with Big 4.

I know people say there are not much things to do even if one passes all 4 sections of their CPA exam and it is extremely difficult to get into the accounting field, but just letting you know, there are ways. I graduated from top 50 college in US (nothing impressive), with Econ major (not even an accounting major). Just thought it would be nice to share with all you guys and give you hope (not a false hope). I’ve enjoyed and will continue to enjoy reading this forum, and good luck to all of you on this forum here!

I think you are lucky in this case. I am having hard time to even get a phone call from the public accounting firm. I keep on trying for more than 6 months now and I got nowhere. People who I know are active licensed CPA weren't willing to help me out. I contacted and email numerous public accounting companies and I haven't heard back from anyone of them. I have work experience in accounting field, but I want to get my CPA license and thus, I need the working hours to get the license. No one really has reached out to me even though I passed the CPA exams and also have the work experience - not in auditing of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in San Jose, California

41 months ago

Wow in Orange county, CA in Gonzales, Louisiana said: This thread has me in shock. I'm so surprised of the number that are similiarly in my position. I graduated with Business admin major conc accounting. Overall gpa was 3.30s but accounting gpa wasn't strong. I was a total slacker. Had a small CPA firm job but left after less than a year, because I essentially learned 90% of the job in 6 months, then recession hit. After being unemployed for 8 months, had an internship at a financial institution. that ended so i began to study for CPA and passed all 4 sections and ethics exam in 2010. Got a temp job at Februray 2011 to today, but still haven't had any success landing a public firm job. i have a sketchy work history due to the recession. I don't have enough experience to be an experienced hire and too out of school to be brought in fresh. I still have friends in big 4 but they can't do much either. It's very fustrating as hell, I'm not sure what else I can do to try and land a job as an auditor. I've emailed, I've written cover letters, looked outside of my area. The whole job finding system is so messed up.

Fustrated

I have the same problem as you, but I am lucky to have a job at a private company. I just have the problem to get license because of lack of work experience under an active licensed CPA. Working under a licensed CPA is not good enough in CA, you have to work under an ACTIVE licensed CPA. How lame! I feel like the CPA exams in CA only meant for those who work in public accounting firms and no one else. Most people who are CPA working for private firms are licensed, but they are not active. I am not sure why the CA state board of accountancy thinks that someone who worked under an active licensed CPA would be more qualified to get licensed than someone who worked for a private firms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CPA in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

Irena in San Jose, California said: I have the same problem as you, but I am lucky to have a job at a private company. I just have the problem to get license because of lack of work experience under an active licensed CPA. Working under a licensed CPA is not good enough in CA, you have to work under an ACTIVE licensed CPA. How lame! I feel like the CPA exams in CA only meant for those who work in public accounting firms and no one else. Most people who are CPA working for private firms are licensed, but they are not active. I am not sure why the CA state board of accountancy thinks that someone who worked under an active licensed CPA would be more qualified to get licensed than someone who worked for a private firms.

I guess you mis-understood what ACTIVE means. Active = current.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in San Jose, California

41 months ago

James in Surrey, British Columbia said: I am currently a level 4 CGA student, and I am so desperate to get a job in accounting field.

To enhance my qualification, I have been working without pay in a small accounting office for 6-7 months. After 6-7 months of experience, I am finally getting a few interviews. So far, no luck for me yet. Sadly some interviewers question me why I have been working without pay, looking at me like I am an idiot. I am just a determine individual who even quit well paid job in a laboratory to change my career in accounting. Another issue I have is time. Since I am working nearly full-time Mon-Thu, I have not much time to develop network or search for jobs.

Even more frustrating, how the employers nowadays expect entry/junior level person to have 2-3 years of experience. How can I have 2-3 years of experience when nobody is willing to provide me one.

I am trying to stay positive, but as time passes by, I am depressed and upset. Praying to God, Buddha, ancestors, etc, but they seem to be on vacation!

I am now thinking about visiting every single accounting offices nearby and ask managers for openings...

Can anyone advise me anything to get a first job in accounting? I will appreciate any comment or advise.

Thanks

I can feel you. I have been there myself. I wasn't an accounting major and when I looked for an accounting job, no one wants to give me the chance. I have to literally beg for the internship position which I finally got the opportunity. To this day, I have never forgot that person who gave me that opportunity and has opened a door for me to accounting field. At the same time that I worked as an intern, I went to community college to take accounting courses. This helps me a lot in getting jobs later. So, I would suggest that you also take some accounting classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Irena in San Jose, California

41 months ago

Actually, I wasn't misunderstanding the word active. In CA, active means that you are not only current with your license, but you are also current with your CPE courses. Inactive means that you are CURRENT with your license, but you are NOT current with your CPE courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CPA in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

Irena in San Jose, California said: Actually, I wasn't misunderstanding the word active. In CA, active means that you are not only current with your license, but you are also current with your CPE courses. Inactive means that you are CURRENT with your license, but you are NOT current with your CPE courses.

How can one renew his/her license without fulfilling the CPE requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Irena in Chesterfield, Missouri

41 months ago

It is because CA allows it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JM in Fresno, California

41 months ago

I can confirm what Irena says, as an inactive California CPA.

Everyone has to renew every two years, regardless of their status. The cost is the same, too.

If you don't renew, you become delinquent and run the risk of eventually having your license suspended or maybe even revoked.

Personally, I don't recommend people start the process of the exam until they already have the required work experience in place, although if you are in a state where CPA scores are good forever it would probably be okay.

BTW, without at least a few years of experience, the CPA license is not really worth it, in my opinion. I managed to get a job at a Big 4 for a year back in 2008, was let go after a year. It was enough for me to get my license, but even with a CPA license, one year of experience is not all that marketable. The license probably gets me interviews I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but I've been looking for nearly 3 years now and really regret entering this field as a 30-something career changer.

The license is expensive to maintain, and since I haven't found a place in public accounting I decided to just let it lapse and remain inactive. Even inactive, I have to come up with $200 every 2 years.

The good news is the IRS seems to be hiring again after a two year hiatus, so maybe some of us can find something with them. For me it's probably either that or relocating and not seeing my family for a year or so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in York, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

This thread has been the most depressing thing a CPA candidate/recent accounting grad with no job/future could possibly read. I hate you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sunny in Prescott, Arizona

40 months ago

TDuncan in Fishers, Indiana said: Yes, not sure why I should answer you but I do have experience in the field as well. Several years and that's why I know that in our current firm and previous firms (in finance where I have worked and where I currently work), we had 100's of people trying to get an entry level role. Those that were successful were the ones that worked internships through the firm/ college or those that worked very hard networking with professional groups. You act like recruiting is some kind of dirty word. It's part of our HR function within the firm and we work with alot of great recruiters across the country that also have experience in the industry.

As far as offering something in return, I personally have helped several entry level/new graduates get jobs with other firms where friends of mine work (all over the US). I have met lots of great people on discussion boards, in networking meetings, at the AICPA meetings, at National conventions and the multiple trainings that I have personally given or have taken over the years to continue to develop my skills. I don't feel that having 20 years of experience is the end all be all, as things evolve/change every day and being involved in new technology/upcoming technology and legal changes in the field keeps my skills valuable.

Some times it's just as difficult for the 40/50 something looking for a position as it is for the new graduate.

You're so patient in responding to negative comments from others. I can understand the frustration of CPA candidates who are looking for accountings jobs but do not have a lot of related experience. Even if your job posting is not entry-level, I certainly gained insights from your advice and what employers are looking for and where I can possibly find a good job. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fathima in Piscataway, New Jersey

39 months ago

dharani in Bridgewater, New Jersey said: Hi , I am in the same boat . I passed two parts of the CPA exam , taking the other two in OCT/Nov and desperately trying for a job . I have an MBA from India but no work experience here .

I also completed my MBA from india,Did you get any accounting job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin S. in Pasadena, California

37 months ago

Vinita in Providence, Rhode Island said: Oh thanks a ton for clarifying that..Good luck with your exam!! I have another question. Is it true that you will not be considered as having completeed your CPA (after clearing all 4 parts) until you work in a public accounting firm?

The 18 months start from the time one takes the test and not from when one passes. For excample, if you took the test on March 3rd and got the results on April 25th that you passed your March 3rd test, your clock starts ticking march 3rd NOT April 25th.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.