Fund accounting NFP v Commercial

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Part-qualified CPA in Melbourne, Australia

40 months ago

Can anyone tell me if there's overlap between the experience gained in NFP fund accounting and Commercial accounting?

My background is external audit, mainly in financial services, and compliance and risk in a bank. I'd like to get into the fund (investment) accounting side of financial services, but employers all want experience.

I'm looking to getting experience elsewhere and trying to move across later. There appears to be many NFP fund accounting roles, but I'm not sure if that experience is ideal (or if I'll be boxed into NFP accounting forever - not that there's anything wrong with that!), or if I'm better off with a straight financial accounting role.

TIA for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

m in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

I am a NFP accountant the usage of the word "fund" in NFP accounting I believe is extremely different from "fund" in financial services.
It's a total misnomer.

Part-qualified CPA in Melbourne, Australia said: Can anyone tell me if there's overlap between the experience gained in NFP fund accounting and Commercial accounting?

My background is external audit, mainly in financial services, and compliance and risk in a bank. I'd like to get into the fund (investment) accounting side of financial services, but employers all want experience.

I'm looking to getting experience elsewhere and trying to move across later. There appears to be many NFP fund accounting roles, but I'm not sure if that experience is ideal (or if I'll be boxed into NFP accounting forever - not that there's anything wrong with that!), or if I'm better off with a straight financial accounting role.

TIA for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.