Getting a CPA certificate vs. going to graduate school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

yellow33 in Lawrenceville, Georgia

64 months ago

Hello all. I need some advice on my career decisions.
I have bachelors degrees in non accounting major from a highly ranked school but have lower than 3.0 GPA. After taking one accounting class at my college, I decided I want to become a CPA and work in accounting field. So now I am trying to decide if I should go straight for CPA certificate or take GMAT and try to get in a graduate school to earn masters in accounting.

My original plan was to pass the CPA exam and then attend local community college to finish getting 150 hr credit so I can become licensed. If I go to graduate school, I will take CPA exam after I get my masters..

Which one do you recommend for me? Thank you for reading!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cfabdefjam in Rogers, Arkansas

63 months ago

Well, you can't even register to TAKE the CPA exam until you have all of the required courses (at least in AR). And there are a lot of required courses. Have you checked the list of courses? Do you know where you would take them? If money is not a concern, getting the Masters degree would probably be the way to go. I got an MBA with a focus in accounting and am still taking some courses online from LSU to fulfill the requirements since my masters was not in accounting. Accredited Masters programs take care of all of the requirements, you are forced to study hard core in a masters program, and they help prepare you for the CPA exam. That being said, most masters programs require a certain level of accounting competence, so you would probably be well-served to go ahead and take the remaining 3 or 4 undergrad accounting courses that would qualify you to enter the masters program since you will need them anyway. Masters programs take a year, so you get through the coursework as quickly as possible. Just be prepared to spend almost ALL of your time doing the coursework. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.