Is a government accounting job career suicide?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Andy in Villa Park, Illinois

77 months ago

I dont doubt that the gov't job would be a good working experience. But people are telling me that this is not a good idea.
It is an auditing position, and ultimately I would like to get my CPA and do corporate accounting or work for a major public accounting firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Cedar Falls, Iowa

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lost in emotions in Columbus, Ohio

73 months ago

I can comment on how the business community here in Ohio sees it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

if you take a job in government, you're stuck. It makes no difference if you took the position as an intern or as a career employee,,,,the private sector here frowns on it. The irony is plenty of big 4/regionals do a lot of work with state/local and federal governments and seldom do they hire work aday CPA's or CIA's that come out of government,,,former directors are a different story.

Even then they work almost exclusively on the same government agency, grant writing project they worked on before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lost in emotions in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

It was suicide in the 80's, double suicide in the 90's and today it's probably a death sentence. The notion that people don't work in government at the state level prevails in the business community as well as a healthy dose of age discrimination.

size/weight/race ,and sexism are also rampant in Columbus too!!! a full plate of reasons to disqualify candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

In2045 in Akron, Ohio

56 months ago

Why do they frown on it? Just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Davenport, Iowa

56 months ago

In2045 in Akron, Ohio said: Why do they frown on it? Just curious.

Well I wouldn't know the answer to that, BUT I do know working for the government is a pretty sweet deal (since my sister does it, not accounting though). You won't make as much as a partner at a firm or anything in the government, but you can still make real good money, get good benefits, not work long hours, etc. It all depends on what you want though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.