Look at how much average accountants make, $64k

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Broke-and-Worried in California

36 months ago

Its a employers market. It seems they want the best for less $.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

eh in Arlington, Virginia

36 months ago

I make 57k in DC. The market is comparable in Chicago. It depends what kind of job you are going for and it pays to really figure out what different types of accounting jobs there are (and any benefits/drawbacks).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MAccDaddy in Everett, Washington

35 months ago

They said the 'average' accountant makes that. There's obviously a range attached. A decent beginning accounting job for someone with a CPA could easily be $40k as you mentioned (depending on market). Someone a few years into their career (which the average person probably is) should be able to make close to that average. If you get a good start with a Big-4 or other recognizable CPA firm, then you should be making more than that amount a few years into your career. I'm guessing this average also includes people that are making $100k+ in some of the more experienced roles (accounting manager, asst. controller and controller, director of acctg., etc.).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Joey-Bird in Merrick, New York

31 months ago

Yes its a lie. If you changed careers or pass cpa exam later in life, employers base your salary on your history. When I was looking for a job, I was making 55k at the present time. I passed the CPA and got my license and thought ya I'm getting 65k at least! and the recruiter even told me it would be unrealistic to be make 70, an expected amount should be 62k tops.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kitty in Seattle, Washington

30 months ago

I am making 65K + 10%(CMA + degree+ few years exp). I have been at the same job for almost 4 years and start looking for jobs for more room to grow.

However, it seems to me many job ads have almost `unrealistic requirements' : 2-5+ yr exp (alot of them saying 5+), CPA/MBA/CMA, public accounting experience, advanced excel/access skill, great system/ERP skills...the interesting thing is all these are for STAFF ACCOUNTANT and I don't think it will even come close to my current salary.

I know it is employer market, but is it possible for them to find someone with all these requirements and willing to apply for this posiition??

I saw couple job ads from Fortune 500 companes with very demanding requirements around the same time last year. Guess what? The same ads are still on their websites again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Poshness02 in Denver, Colorado

8 months ago

Joey-Bird in Merrick, New York said: Yes its a lie. If you changed careers or pass cpa exam later in life, employers base your salary on your history. When I was looking for a job, I was making 55k at the present time. I passed the CPA and got my license and thought ya I'm getting 65k at least! and the recruiter even told me it would be unrealistic to be make 70, an expected amount should be 62k tops.

I'm interested in becoming an accountant and would like guidance on what to do. I'm in school, majoring in Accounting ( Associates) and my (Bachelor) would be in Business Administration. I'm a little concerned about the money as I would like to make a nice penny. But I'm still having issues as to what type of accountant I would like to become. Any information you have would be fesible.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.