Masters First?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

coaltrain in Frostburg, Maryland

58 months ago

Hi all,

I just came across this forum today and was hoping to get some advice about Accounting employers. I'm two semesters away from getting my Bachelors and I'm wondering if I should look for a job once it's completed, or if I should stay in school and get my Masters. Either way I plan on getting my Masters but, if I have a choice, I'd like to go straight to work and enroll in a Masters program while I'm employed.

Is this a common approach people take? Do employers hire Accountants who have only completed their Bachelors and do not have their Masters and CPA/CMA certification (but plan on completing them while employed)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
coaltrain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

coaltrain in Frostburg, Maryland

58 months ago

Was this a stupid question or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole M Stewart in Pembroke Pines, Florida

58 months ago

No, this isn't a stupid question. I have come across numerous people who debate on whether to go get their Masters or to work. From my experience, most of the larger CPA firms require you to be CPA eligible which usually requires you to have 150 credits and a certain amount of credits in accounting. Most people usually get this by getting their Masters. One route you can go is to try to get an internship as most CPA firms hire their interns for full-time once they complete their Masters.

If your school has not have its career fair yet, I would go and speak to the accounting firms that are there and to get a better handling on their hiring practice. If you career fair has already occurred, I would definitely look into going to the career fair during the Spring.

I hope this helps.

Nicole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

I have a stupid question. Years ago I had a supervisor/boss, who always bragged about her kids, everything about them was special.

One daughter graduated with her Bachelor's in Accounting. This boss ALWAYS told us the daughter was a CPA (at 23). The girl only graduated with a Bachelor's and was not working on a Master's.

Did that woman lie to us? From what I am reading from others, if the girl only had a Bachelor's in Accounting, there is no way she could be a CPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole M Stewart in Pembroke Pines, Florida

58 months ago

I am not sure on this one. I believe that CPA firms were hiring people with just Bachelor's degree during the beginning of the implementation Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) because they needed extra personnel to combat the increased work coming in. Also, sometimes people may have a Bachelor's degree, but have over 150 credits and still meet the requirements to sit/become a CPA (this I believe is rare). So yes, it is plausible to work in accounting with just a Bachelor's degree. However, now firms want their candidates to be CPA eligible because to get promoted, you have to be a CPA.

Also, she may of gotten her CPA license, but I am not sure how they used to administer the test before. However, I know there are some states that allow you to sit when you have 120 credits, but you cannot get your license until you earn 150 credits. You can check www.beckercpa.com and they list the requirements by state. So yes, it is plausible to be a CPA if the rules permitted her years ago.

Stephikins in Winter Springs, Florida

48 months ago

Hey,
I am an accounting major at University of Central Florida. Will have bachelors in December & go straight into Masters. I've had a job as a staff accountant for 2 years and am currently looking to get a better job. So I say yes, you can do both. I work 30 hrs a week and only take 3 classes a semester.plus it's like you do extra homework & practice all day. It's helped on test. :) search for accounting assistant.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.