Online Accounting Masters

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Lohena in Kapaa, Hawaii

50 months ago

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice as to which online masters programs in accounting I should look into or avoid based on their accreditation acceptance in the job market.

I have a BA in math and have been teaching high school for 10 years. I live in Hawaii with no university program here and need to continue working full time while I get my masters.

Are their any programs out there that would be worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimz in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

I ll tell you from my experience with Degrees online. I am currently doing my masters degree in Accountancy with the univ of phoenix online...their system is simple...a class lasts 6 weeks...every week, there is paper/project due...4 days out of the week you would have to comment to other students's perception/research on a specific subject. for 3 days a week, the professor post a question and you would have to answer and comment on other students' answers.

hope this helps....Good luckkk!!

Lohena in Kapaa, Hawaii

50 months ago

Thanks!

I might want to inquire about distance BS in accounting also. Is U of Minnesota program reputable?

Moni in Pflugerville, Texas

14 months ago

Mimz~ Would you recommend Univ of Phoenix for someone interested in Masters of Acc? I wonder how 'valid' of a program it is because there are so many out there that you wonder how much do they prepare one for the Professional World. I have read reviews on couple programs that have said, they treat you like a number once you're in.
I'd really appreciate your insight.

Thanks.

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

14 months ago

Moni, University of Phoenix courses are quite expensive and having a Master's degree from that institution does not deliver much benefit to an accounting career. The key to entering the accounting field is a CPA license. In Texas, you can take the CPA exam with only a bachelor's degree. A high quality -- and affordable -- review course at fastforwardacademy.com/cpa-exam-review.htm helps you pass the exam sections on first attempts. You can then complete the additional required education courses without needing a Master's in accounting. Accounting firms do not care if you have a Master's degree. I think you can even take the necessary accounting courses for a Texas CPA license at Austin Community College. In fact, one of the top scores in the nation on the CPA exam last year was achieved by an ACC student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moni in Pflugerville, Texas

14 months ago

Wow that is fantastic. My undergraduate is not in Accounting so I've thought about a Masters in order for me to be more employable. But from what I understand, to be eligible for the CPA Exam you need a certain amount of educational hours. Is this not true?

Thank you so much!

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

13 months ago

Moni in Pflugerville, Texas said: Wow that is fantastic. My undergraduate is not in Accounting so I've thought about a Masters in order for me to be more employable. But from what I understand, to be eligible for the CPA Exam you need a certain amount of educational hours. Is this not true?

Thank you so much!

Moni, your undergrad degree is sufficient to sit for the CPA exam in Texas but you must have completed a total of 150 semester hours. Your education must include 30 hours of upper division accounting, 24 hours of business related courses, and 3 hours of ethics. By the way, you can try some sample CPA exam questions for free at fastforwardacademy.com/cpa-exam-review.htm. Click on the "Try It Free" button. Several recent accounting grads I know have successfully passed all the exam sections this year after taking the review course on that website.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.