PwC, Deloitte or Rothstein Kass?? please help me decide

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Saltyan in Flushing, New York

43 months ago

ok, all 3 are different jobs:

PwC, the group I'm getting in was called Financial Instrument and Credit Group, now it's called Financial Instrument, Structured products and Real Estate group because they acquired the real estate part. Basically what they do is, (what I learned from interviews and friends...) if IB issues a CDO, MBS, ABS... they need to state the terms including risks, return and others in the prospectus, the group's job is to run the model to see if the pricing of the structured product is right and do some other analysis, in the end we tell the investment bank if our calculation is the same as theirs. it's not just stuctured products in this group, of course, they evaluate other financial instruments as well as real estate portfolios.

Deloitte, not much to say, it's Financial Service Industries Audit, I'll probably want to get into private equity accounting.

Rothstein Kass, for those of you arent familiar, Rothstein Kass is one of the best in Hedge Fund accounting. I think many times it's better than big4 in terms of just hedge fund accounting.

Originally i was gonna take PwC because I've always wanted to do finance and this job will give me some exp in it, and I could probably land a job for mid-office in an IB or something. Also, PwC pays $6000 more a year. (for someone who's starting to work in accounting, that's pretty attractive, lol) but then after i talked to my gf and a bunch of other friends who are also big4 accountants or work for IBs. they told me that mid-office jobs are very limited, and it's pretty competitive too. My worry is that if i hated PwC after I join the group, i'll have no where to go. As for Rothstein Kass, I will be able to land a pretty good job in a hedge fund or private equity firm after becoming a senior. and they do make decent amount of money too, esp. after you switch. a friend of mine switched from RK to Apollo, he got a almost 30% raise and he will get bonus at year end. but big4 pays for CPA/CFA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

PEAccountant in Columbus, Ohio

43 months ago

I am an accountant in Private Equity. I would suggest you to join Hedge Fund Accounting. It is an awesome career and you have generous bonus potentials. I am also planning to switch from PE to Hedge. I am in midwest and planning to move to East Coast. Audit careers have a lot of work, less pay unless you own your own CPA practice.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Icarus9 in New York, New York

34 months ago

I'm an accounting major working for the Internal Revenue Service and I'm also looking into potentially working for a hedge fund and since your last post was like 9 months ago, I wanted to ask if you made the decision to work for the big four firms or work for Rothstein Kass??

Saltyan in Newark, New Jersey

34 months ago

Hi, I accepted the offer at PwC at the FSR (FICG) Group. I based my decision on: 1. it was my first job, the pay difference is very important. 2. I want to do something finance related. 3. I was able to obtain an internship with the group after I accepted the offer and I really like what we do and the people I worked with. 4. The group's got good benefits even compared to the rest of the firm.

Come back to think about it, if I only had the choice between deloitte and RK, I might have picked RK because I will be sure to work on hedge fund accounting, whereas at deloitte I might have to work in a different industry, and RK's culture is much more relaxed and family-like than deloitte.

Hope that helps.

(I'm in NY but some reason it says I'm at Newark...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Icarus9 in New York, New York

34 months ago

Yes it did. Thanks a lot.

Sam in New Delhi, India

32 months ago

Hey,
I have just switched my profile from Risk Management to Hedge Fund accounting. Just need to know,is that my decision was good. What are the opportunities in hedge fund accounting..? Is it good take as long term career..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stringer Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Saltyan in Newark, New Jersey said: Hi, I accepted the offer at PwC at the FSR (FICG) Group. I based my decision on: 1. it was my first job, the pay difference is very important. 2. I want to do something finance related. 3. I was able to obtain an internship with the group after I accepted the offer and I really like what we do and the people I worked with. 4. The group's got good benefits even compared to the rest of the firm.

Come back to think about it, if I only had the choice between deloitte and RK, I might have picked RK because I will be sure to work on hedge fund accounting, whereas at deloitte I might have to work in a different industry, and RK's culture is much more relaxed and family-like than deloitte.

Hope that helps.

Hey,

I have an upcoming interview with the FSR group within PWC. Assuming you've been working there for some time now I was wondering how you've liked it, and also how finance related the work is and what exit opportunities may be available.

After researching the position my main concerns are it may not be as finance related as it seems and this could eventually leave less exit opportunities within the banking and finance industry.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

edny33 in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

Hi Saltyan - where did you receive your accounting degree if you dont mind me asking?

sniperjones13

10 months ago

Saltyan in Newark, New Jersey said: Hi, I accepted the offer at PwC at the FSR (FICG) Group. I based my decision on: 1. it was my first job, the pay difference is very important. 2. I want to do something finance related. 3. I was able to obtain an internship with the group after I accepted the offer and I really like what we do and the people I worked with. 4. The group's got good benefits even compared to the rest of the firm.

Come back to think about it, if I only had the choice between deloitte and RK, I might have picked RK because I will be sure to work on hedge fund accounting , whereas at deloitte I might have to work in a different industry, and RK's culture is much more relaxed and family-like than deloitte.

Hope that helps.

Hi Saltyan,

Thank you for your post and congrats on starting your career with PwC!

Furthermore, could you kindly rate your experience at PwC? ie: work/life balance, performance evaluations, promotion ladder, colleague interactions, industry/client matchablilty with preference?

I've recently received an assurance/audit internship offer from PwC and Deloitte, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.