Question on getting an accounting degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Daniel Ting in Arcadia, California

76 months ago

Hi, my name is Dan and I just graduated fall quarter of 2009 at UCLA with a degree in Sociology. However, I am interested in pursuing for an accounting degree and hopefully pass the CPA exam in the future. But I am not sure what is the best way to do it. Is it better to go to school such as CSU Fullerton or CSULA to get a second bachelors in accounting since I fulfilled most requirements at UCLA already? Or is it better to apply to graduate school and pursue for Masters in accounting ( My GPA isn't that high) ? Which way will help me reach my goal of getting my CPA in the near future? Thank you for your time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Rosemead, California

65 months ago

Hi Dan, I'm in the same situation as you are. I have a bachelors in History with no accounting experience and am also debating whether to get a second bachelors or a masters in accounting. I was thinking about UCLA's Accounting certificate program but I think I feel safer going with an actual degree. I want to make sure the time and money I invest in a accounting degree is going to pay off. Let me know if you've decided on what you're going to do. my contact is apollo2177 at hot***l.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

John in Rosemead, California said: Hi Dan, I'm in the same situation as you are. I have a bachelors in History with no accounting experience and am also debating whether to get a second bachelors or a masters in accounting. I was thinking about UCLA's Accounting certificate program but I think I feel safer going with an actual degree. I want to make sure the time and money I invest in a accounting degree is going to pay off. Let me know if you've decided on what you're going to do. my contact is apollo2177 at hot***l.

I am actually doing the Accounting Certificate at CSULA right now. I believe all the accounting programs are the same and I plan to take the CPA exam after I finish the program.

Michelle in Fontana, California

64 months ago

Hi Daniel, I was wondering how are the classes at CSULA? I am asking because I heard CSULA has a bad reputation, so I was thinking maybe a accouting certificate from UCLA would be a bit better than from CSULA? or maybe not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janice Wong in Montebello, California

62 months ago

Daniel in Los Angeles, California said: I am actually doing the Accounting Certificate at CSULA right now. I believe all the accounting programs are the same and I plan to take the CPA exam after I finish the program.

Hi Daniel & Michelle, I wish I saw this earlier. If it's not too late, transfer to CSUF (California State University of Fullerton). It is an accounting accredited school. Here is a link: www.aacsb.net/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=AACSB&WebKey=4BA8CA9A-7CE1-4E7A-9863-2F3D02F27D23

I went to CSUF and graduated in accounting. If you have any quesitons, please email me at janicejanwong@gmail.com. I'm new to this site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Fremont, California

62 months ago

Hi, I'm new to this website... I'm actually doing Accounting at SFSU but I'm wondering if the degree would be the same if I went to CSU Long Beach... Also, do you guys know how the accounting field in the market look like now? I don't have any experience in accounting and I know most of the jobs for accounting require prior experience... Do you know how I can get experience? Can I do intern? I'm really appreciative your responses!

Janice Wong in Montebello, California

62 months ago

Hello Jessica,

I've had my accounting degree since 2006. I was laid off in June 2009. I've been looking this past week and I can honestly say that there are not that many positions open for entry-level accounting or just accounting in general.

As for experience... It all really depends on what you want to do with your accounting degree. You have a few avenues, such as, 1) being an (staff) accountant and working your way up the corporate latter to sr. accountant to controller to cfo and to perhaps owning your own business. 2)Auditing... start as a staff accountant and work your way up to a partner. 3)Taxes... you can do it in a cpa firm and then work your way up to become a tax partner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.