Recent Graduate seeking some guidance and advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Jousha0215 in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

Hello! I recently graduated from a CUNY(City University of New York) with a really low gpa (2.5) and I have no idea what I can do from here on. I've done no internships in the field of accounting, and all the jobs I picked up were mostly sales associate related. I was just highly unmotivated and had no goals in life; however recently I got serious and really worried about my future. So I decided to take the GMAT which I scored a 690 on, but when I look to apply to grad programs most of them require work experience. Having such a low GPA doesn't really give me much of a option to find a job so I'm here to ask what is it I should do from here on out? Thanks for reading

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

allyson2014 in Hackensack, New Jersey

7 months ago

Hey Joshua,

I will soon be approaching the transition process that you are faced with at the moment. This is my last semester (with only two classes) at Ramapo College in NJ. I've started looking and applying for jobs because my idea is that it's never too early. Have you considered the CPA path? That's my plan after graduation. For NJ there is a requirement of 150 credits, NY might have similar requirements that you should look into. What you can do is take on some additional classes (perhaps add a minor) in hopes of boosting your GPA. This will be an added bonus if you plan to go down the CPA path. I too have contemplated upon graduate school as well because I feel like many jobs out there want a master's degree and higher credentials. Best of luck to you, I hope everything works out!

Warm Regards,
Allyson

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

7 months ago

Prime jobs in accounting are mostly obtained by recent graduates with high GPAs, who also interned while they were students. Since you were not motivated in that direction, maybe another option is more suitable for you. Pursuing a CPA license doesn't restore you on the path to a landing a top accounting job without a better GPA and internship experience. Since a big public accounting firm isn't the right fit, maybe you should consider working at a smaller local accounting practice. These organizations are usually headed by one or two CPAs. The focus is tax but other financial projects are also handled.

They will hire people with no experience who have proven ability. You can achieve tax expertise by passing the Enrolled Agent exam. This is easier than the CPA exam, but does demand some study. An affordable online review course is available at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm. You're allowed to continue with this education course until you pass the exam. You can even check out free sample questions on the website before you make a decision.

This is worth considering. I know several people with undergrad degrees in accounting who went with this career choice and are very happy. Good luck.

Jousha0215 in Flushing, New York

7 months ago

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas said: Prime jobs in accounting are mostly obtained by recent graduates with high GPAs, who also interned while they were students. Since you were not motivated in that direction, maybe another option is more suitable for you. Pursuing a CPA license doesn't restore you on the path to a landing a top accounting job without a better GPA and internship experience. Since a big public accounting firm isn't the right fit, maybe you should consider working at a smaller local accounting practice. These organizations are usually headed by one or two CPAs. The focus is tax but other financial projects are also handled.

They will hire people with no experience who have proven ability. You can achieve tax expertise by passing the Enrolled Agent exam. This is easier than the CPA exam, but does demand some study. An affordable online review course is available at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm . You're allowed to continue with this education course until you pass the exam. You can even check out free sample questions on the website before you make a decision.

This is worth considering. I know several people with undergrad degrees in accounting who went with this career choice and are very happy. Good luck.

Thank you so much for this information, I will check this out!

Ankit Singhal in Kolkata, India

7 months ago

Hi,

Becker CPA 2014 study material, question, & simulation Ebook available for sale for $ 120, Market price is $ 1000. Wiley CPA is available for $ 80, market price is $ 420

Let me know if you are interested. All the payments will be done through paypal.com. Price negotiable, Email me ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.