Suggestions and advice please for a career switching plan

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

aviator1x1 in Redondo Beach, California

82 months ago

I am currently thinking about switching careers to accounting. I am considering an Accounting Certificate Program offered through UCLA's Extension and I would like to know if this is sufficient for an entry level accounting position. Also is it worth pursuing a certification course to become a certified tax preparer and register with The California Tax Education Council (CTEC) to gain some type of experience? If I can prepare taxes on a part time basis just to gain experience, I may take the tax preparer course. I understand that with this recession, there are a lot of new accounting graduates and CPAs looking for a job, but my plan is to continue working full time in my current occupation and start the academics and gain some experience to make myself marketable in three to four years. At the same time I really do not want to pursue another Bachelors or get a MBA.
By the way my BA is in Political Science, some corporate experience in sales, and current occupation a pilot flying business jet. As funny as this may sound, I want to go back to a desk job where I can be home every night. I took a couple of accounting courses and I take care of all my family's budget and household finance. In other words, I enjoy working with numbers, accounting, and figuring out our taxes and expenses.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.