Torn between MBA or Masters in Accounting

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Greg in Watertown, Massachusetts

40 months ago

I am currently looking to get into the accounting field. I have my Bachelors in Finance and am now going to get a graduate degree. I am torn between a MBA in accounting or a masters in accounting. I have a broad understanding of what the difference of the two are. I am intrigued by the MBA because it will open more doors than just accounting for me, however will it be enough to get into the accounting field? I have no accounting experience and was unable to get in the door with just my finance degree. So my ultimate question is can a MBA get me into the door of an accounting firm the same as the masters. I do not know what part of the accounting field I want to go in, but as odd as it seems I enjoy crunching numbers and researching balance sheets. I know it is where I want to be, but before I invest in the degree I want to make sure it is the right one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eric6675 in Boston, Massachusetts

40 months ago

An MBA will not be enough to get you in the door of an accounting firm in the Audit or Tax fields. My wife works for Deloitte, I have a degree in finance and an MBA, they wont hire me becasue you have to be CPA elgible. There are some areas of accounting firms that being elgible for a CPA does not matter. However, you are stuck there will little room to move.
An MBA will open more doors, it does not keep you pinned into one field. Remember you are only as good as your last degree, so while it is a great accomplishment to get a Masters, do you think it matters to someone in IT if you have a Master in Accounting? I guess what I am trying to get at is, yes you may love crunching numbers but ten years from now you may not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.