Trying to get back in... suggestions?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Vernon Dozier in Seattle, Washington

65 months ago

Hello folks,

Here's my situation: graduated 2003 with BA Business, accounting concentration. Worked for a commercial bank in their credit department for a year and a half, then left to pursue other interests.

Now, after working in an unrelated field (airline pilot), I'd like to get back into accounting. I'm scheduled to sit for FAR & BEC in early April, with the last two to follow shortly (thanks Becker!)

Question: what's the best way to approach my job search after I pass the exam? I am neither a new grad, nor an experienced candidate; so does this mean I'll need to use "special tactics" to get on the radar of bigger firms? Will having the exam recently completed give me a leg-up over new-grad job applicants?

Thanks for any info. Also, when do the Big Four typically conduct their recruiting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Belmar, New Jersey

65 months ago

Vernon Dozier in Seattle, Washington said: Hello folks,

Here's my situation: graduated 2003 with BA Business, accounting concentration. Worked for a commercial bank in their credit department for a year and a half, then left to pursue other interests.

Now, after working in an unrelated field (airline pilot), I'd like to get back into accounting. I'm scheduled to sit for FAR & BEC in early April, with the last two to follow shortly (thanks Becker!)

Question: what's the best way to approach my job search after I pass the exam? I am neither a new grad, nor an experienced candidate; so does this mean I'll need to use "special tactics" to get on the radar of bigger firms? Will having the exam recently completed give me a leg-up over new-grad job applicants?

Thanks for any info. Also, when do the Big Four typically conduct their recruiting?

Vernon, my starting point would be www.aicpa.org. I HAVE seen job openings related to banks and credit departments on CareerBuilder, but since that is not my area I didn't keep any record of them. I have 2 exams left to take and I am starting my search now, though the Big 4 is not a pool I'm fishing in.

I wish I could give you a better lead. You may also check out activities conducted by your local chapter of the State CPA association. They always have things going on.

I would mention the pilot thing! THAT would make you stand out to me if I were recruiting! I think a lot of us are wannabe superheroes, and after the "Sully" incident, you make catch a bit of the "halo effect."

TJ in London, United Kingdom

29 months ago

Hi Vemon, I am in quite a similar position and would be interested to hear how you have gotten on.

I too have the pilot licences (though have not worked in the airlines as of yet). Currently, I'm working for one of the 'big 4' accountancy firms and enjoying it very much.

Of course, having done the pilot training, I would really like to give the airline thing a go. However, it's a tough industry (I've seen lots of guys in the 40's having to instruct after losing their medical) - I would rather go back to financial services as a more reliable way to pay the bills, should things not work out. Having this option would be quite important to me.

It would be great to hear how life after aviation as treated you in terms of employment.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.