Would a Master in Accounting be Worth it if I'm going for a CPA anyway With Experience Already?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Audioque in Hacienda Heights, California

33 months ago

I graduated in 06 with a BS in Business Administration and did some traveling in Asia after graduation then started working in 07 in a very small 6 person CPA firm. Now I have over 4 years of public accounting experience. Mostly in corporate taxation. My boss wouldn't let me go near personal taxes (fear of clients following one of us out probably or do audit planning). There's no chance for a promote, raise or further learning here. I do not have enough classes in accounting in order to sit for the CPA which I'm working on now. I still need about 7 classes. I figured that it would cost me less than $5,000 for me to finish 7 classes before I sit for the exams.

Would a Master in Accounting or Taxation give me an edge on top of the CPA and 4 years of public accounting experience? I'm planning to quit my current position soon (due to the fact that I bought a house elsewhere and my commute is 1 1/2 hour each way which is eating into my sanity) and try to knock out as many of the courses as possible and get started with the CPA exams as well as to give myself some breathing time. I understand that I might not be able to get a job that look as good on paper (in reality, it's not that great) as I have now for quite a while but I'm willing to risk it anyway. I'm hoping for a less stressful job in industry before I finished the exams but probably will do anything to keep the money flowing and keep my saving but drastically falling. Is that nuts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.