cpa entry level jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

olivera in West Palm Beach, Florida

56 months ago

Very bad. I have CPA license since last year. No experience in public accounting. Working part time job for little monies in accounting dpt. ( mostly data entry).I tried everything... Specialized agency ...They tested me heavily ( Excel, bookkeeping, acctg...scored highly... never offered me any job...Actually, I can just complain.. but I will not.. What I expected I did not get..and not sure if I will ever get....I am forgetting what I studied, since I am not using it... Unfortunately.. I am happy I am healty and have low paid acctg jobs ... Better than nothing.. Right? ....Just to let you know you are not alone..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

newuser in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

olivera in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Very bad. I have CPA license since last year. No experience in public accounting. Working part time job for little monies in accounting dpt. ( mostly data entry).I tried everything... Specialized agency ...They tested me heavily ( Excel, bookkeeping, acctg...scored highly... never offered me any job...Actually, I can just complain.. but I will not.. What I expected I did not get..and not sure if I will ever get....I am forgetting what I studied, since I am not using it... Unfortunately.. I am happy I am healty and have low paid acctg jobs ... Better than nothing.. Right? ....Just to let you know you are not alone..

I am in the same situation except I have been to countless interviews and never been able to score one. I try to keep myself positive but it seems so hard. Let's hope things will get better for us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rayray in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

Do you actually mean you are a licensed CPA? It sounds like you haven't really done much accounting work, but somehow you are licensed. Do you mean you just passed your exams? It is possible to work under a CPA and get licensed these days, but rarely hear somebody getting licensed w/o much accounting experience...which is ironic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

annie in Woodside, New York

55 months ago

I have 6 years experience in accounting and been one year unemployed. I'm a CPA but never landed a new job in accounting. All there is out there is part time positions and they get filled right away by siblings and friends of friends of the employers. I decided to give up and start my own business. That's where I'll definitely use my skills the most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

52 months ago

olivera in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Very bad. I have CPA license since last year. No experience in public accounting. Working part time job for little monies in accounting dpt. ( mostly data entry).I tried everything... Specialized agency ...They tested me heavily ( Excel, bookkeeping, acctg...scored highly... never offered me any job...Actually, I can just complain.. but I will not.. What I expected I did not get..and not sure if I will ever get....I am forgetting what I studied, since I am not using it... Unfortunately.. I am happy I am healty and have low paid acctg jobs ... Better than nothing.. Right? ....Just to let you know you are not alone..

There are a few reasons why people don't get hired after being on many interviews:

1) Your personality doesn't click with the interviewers or they don't feel you will fit in with the company.

2) They already decided who they wanted to hire but they just wanted to say they interviewed other people.

3) Your references didn't check out.

4) Communications skills may not be up to par(writing and speaking fluently in English).

You just never know really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Kissimmee, Florida

52 months ago

rayray in Los Angeles, California said: Do you actually mean you are a licensed CPA? It sounds like you haven't really done much accounting work, but somehow you are licensed. Do you mean you just passed your exams? It is possible to work under a CPA and get licensed these days, but rarely hear somebody getting licensed w/o much accounting experience...which is ironic.

Up until mid 2008, Florida didn't have an experience requirement to get the CPA license. All you needed were your 150 credit hours. Now, 1 year work experience is required in addition to the 150 credit hours. So, it's possible she got her CPA license without work experience.

Mario in Mims, Florida

52 months ago

That is true. I was licensed under the old rule and I have only 9 months part time experience in accounting. I was planning on changing careers with my CPA, but the this has not worked out since no one is hiring.

Patricia in Jacksonville, Florida

34 months ago

I am currently taking accounting courses to complete the CPA certification in order to qualify to apply for the CPA designation. My current job as an environmental cleanup site manager has a requirement to pay invoices to consultants after site cleanup work has been satisfied (some of the related work costs is greater than $100,000 per invoice). My question is how can I use this work related experience as my accounting requirements for the CPA designation? I also was in charge of a program budget for one year in the same department. Thanks.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.