need advise

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

kiea in East Orange, New Jersey

87 months ago

I am currently attending college I am trying to obtain my AAS in Accounting. After I graduated I want to get my bachelors degree, but I not sure if I should major in Accounting or finance. I read a lot of comments on accounting and I notice it is hard for a new grad to get a job in this field. So maybe I should major in finance and see where it takes me. Can anyone give me advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRivera in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

87 months ago

Hello, I think that now days in all industries it is hard to get a job. Finance in one hand could lead you to a wide variety of opportunities as i think the curriculm is similar to business major. On the other hand, accounting could land you on a more specific job such as accountant for a company. It all depends what you want to be doing after graduation. I have a degree on business and now i am working on my master in accountancy. This way I was able to learn more about the functions of a company and now i am concentrating on a specific field.
Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

James Sweeney in Long Beach, California

87 months ago

I have found that there is a hiring mentality in accounting which has made it a specialty occupation. While your training is valuable, the hiring HR departments think in terms of "industry". While I could find no training for a "property management accountant" at school, the job leads are looking for a specific "industry".

in your job search, you will see a need for a specific accounting package. In the minds of HR, the software does the accounting, and the accountant must know the software. Should you be fortunate to learn two or three accounting packages, you will understand that the software is similar, ie does reporting, does A/P and A/R, etc.

Your degree is an entry card to financial statement work. Your GPA will determine the level of pay, and in larger companies whether a lead or supervisory position will be offered.

The hiring needs of HR focus on "Industry Experience", specific software, and degree. As you have or will have a degree soon, you will want to determine whether General Accounting or Internal Audit or Cost Accounting would be of interest to you.

As your involvement with Accounting grows, know that it has become a specialized career field. The three items HR will focus on become the things which will determine you accounting future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Darren in Dural, Australia

82 months ago

kiea in East Orange, New Jersey said: I am currently attending college I am trying to obtain my AAS in Accounting. After I graduated I want to get my bachelors degree, but I not sure if I should major in Accounting or finance. I read a lot of comments on accounting and I notice it is hard for a new grad to get a job in this field. So maybe I should major in finance and see where it takes me. Can anyone give me advise.

Hi there. I am currently doing my bachelors degree in accounting, and I spoke to an accountant recently who told me to get an accounting job before I graduate, part time of course, but it's the best and easiest way to start he said. Then when you finish you will already have a company to work for. There are accounting firms here in there employing accounting students AND helping them with fees, time off to study before exams and more. I would say, if you planned originally to do accounting rather than finance, then it is what you really want to do, and going by the amount of accounting jobs around, you should stick with it man. Everybody has got to start out, and I think there are more opportunities in accounting than most other jobs. I have always known that there are firms who take on accounting students. My advice there is have a look on the internet for them, and don't be put off by the million of accounting ads you see that want experience: there are others around.
Actually I have been looking around for them myself tonight. I am in the same situation as you. I am nearly done my first year. Also, have you heard of the big 4? Tonight I was looking at PricewaterhouseCoopers and the KPMG websites. They are both taking new beginner accountants on. My pick of the two was KPMG. They looked more down to earth and less politically correct! There's got to be something like that near you(a big accounting firm). You could either find their website and email your resume or phone them up to get an interview. Good luck, Darren

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.