Accounts Payable Clerk unemployed, not as easy as I thought it would be.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Christopher P. in Rochester, New York

45 months ago

I was laid off from an accounts payable clerk position within a New York State agency due to budget issues. As I was shocked and dismayed, life goes on and I'm having a difficult time getting an interview. I have 3 1/2 years experience with a 4 year degree in Business Administration and also worked in a customer service call center for 2 years prior to my AP job.

I have EXCEL experience which is listed on my resume and it is SO frustrating being unemployed and you start wondering if you'll ever find a decent job. I'm invloved with Robert Half temp agency, but have not found work with them,as they said there would be an abundance of positions starting the first of the year, but promises, promises. ?I'm not thrilled with temping at my age(40) becuase I did this in my 20's and find most companies just use you and discard you when the assignment ends. Its a TRY B4 YOU BUY MENTALITY FOR THESE COMPANIES.
Most of the pay is very low, $21840 to $23k a year.. I guess I'm looking for answers or new job technique strategies to find employment.

Im not big on networking, but if I come across someone I will use it but its not a consistent tool for me. Sometimes I find this doesnt even help, when you know someone. The entire process of looking for work and selling yourself is so depresssing and BS.

Ive also tried temp agencies, but my main focus is on line postings from Monster, craglist, and then applying for those posted positions.

Anyone ever cold call and how did you make out? Alot of time sI will show iniitaive and either email the HR Manager, but its like dont bother us we will call you if were are interested. Any help would be appreciated or comments welcomed. Thanks and good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Betty Crawford in Millersburg, Ohio

42 months ago

I have found it fun to work for a temp agency in different assignments. I have learned so much by seeing how other offices do things. I just think that is interesting. I just try to make the best of everything and I know that everything happens for a reason in my life. I do not always like it, but I can learn something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.