Getting an accounts payable clerk job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing accounts payable clerk work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

Penny Campbell said: I worked for a Company thru a Temp Agency for a year and was hired by the Company and trained to use Oracle Acctng Software in 2000. I worked for 4 1/2 years and was laid off due to company closing. Since being laid off I have had a difficult time obtaining employment. I took an acctng/bookkeeping course non-credit for 2 1/2 months to upgrade my skills in reference to posting journal entries, payroll, financial statements, etc., and still have not be able to find employment. I am not sure what I should do at this point and would welcome any input.

There are plenty of accounting jobs out there, especially at the clerk, jr. accountant, or staff accountant level, and a lot less people that are capable of filling these positions. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in Accounting in 2005 and found that this did not help much in getting an accounting clerk job, every posting wanted the experience and was not as concerned with the degree. I think that it comes down to who you know, or just odds, if you apply for everything eventually someone will give you a chance. Eventually someone gave me a chance and I have been here about three years working my way up. The advise I can give from my experience is apply to everything you are willing to do, regardless if you meet all of the requirements that are listed or not. I have known many people to obtain and excel in positions that they were not technically qualified for to begin with. As far as accounting positions go, there are recruiters everywhere in this field, they don't cost you anything, and it doesn't hurt to have them looking for a job for you as well, the more opportunites the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kumar in Madras, India

63 months ago

Good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.