Typical Accounts Payable day

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jennifer in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

What is a typical day like in A/P? How are the duties scheduled in your company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

DELIA PEARS in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

What is a typical day like in A/P? How are the duties scheduled in your company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

B in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

I come in, open yesterday's mail (all invoices, of course).. stamp them, throw them in a pile to be matched with its backup and then proceed to check my e-mail.

After sorting through e-mail, I grab an invoice and start auditing it. I have to find the rate that matches with the charge and check that off. If there's problems with a charge, I have to contact the manager responsible for that transaction. I have to send a memo in order to get approval to pay. Sometimes the reply takes hours, sometimes days. It just sits there until it gets approved. If they deny it, I have to call the company that invoiced us and try to reason with them. If all fails, I have to ask the Controller to review it and they decide what will be paid, if anything.

Then I go on to the next one and do the same thing again. And cross my fingers there's no problems.

Then I eat lunch.. my favorite part of the day.

And on to more invoices. On any given day, this will change--sometimes I review the rates, make sure none have expired. Other days, I update my contact list or make 'cheat sheet' for myself.

I hope that helps someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.