Getting an activities assistant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

How did you get your start doing activities assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Di in Cleveland, Ohio

92 months ago

I could sure use the answers to these questions. I am just getting ready to make a career change to this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

April in Neptune, New Jersey

85 months ago

I started working as an activities assistant 3 years ago, with no prior experience or relevant education. Many senior care facilities are willing to train people new to this type of work, especially if you have the right attitude. Personality is such a big part of the job, it goes a long way.
It does help if you have certification or a BA; however, you can pursue certification after you've started a job in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

springfield in Springfield, Missouri

82 months ago

Springfield MO
I'm new in this field. I must say I agree. Personality is everything in this job. Their is one other aspect that is important. Empathy. If you can kinda relate to what some of the residents have gone through.
Broken legs--health issues.
You don't truly know it unless you've been there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

springfield in Springfield, Missouri

82 months ago

Can anybody give estimates of what a fair salary is?
1-2 yrs exp.
Also how do you start the process of certification

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Di in Cleveland, Ohio

82 months ago

Contact the NCCAP (National Certification Council for Activity Professionals). They have a web site from which you can get information (www.nccap.org).

I believe you can download an application form from there.

You will also want to pull together at least this information: hours worked in the activities field, college transcripts (official if you want to send in an application), proof of any continuing education pertinent to the field (see web site), and proof of completion of the 90-Hour Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals Part 1.

If you qualify and get certified before 12-31-07, you only need the Part 1 class. If you aren't certified by then, you must also take Part II. At least, if you want to become certified as an Activities Director.

This is what I have been able to find out. There might be more. Check out the web site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARY OLICKAL in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing activities assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

You need to get high school diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hi in Pleasanton, California

46 months ago

an activities assistant, with no experience really hard to find a better job... out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

romalyn in Hayward, California

36 months ago

hi in Pleasanton, California said: an activities assistant, with no experience really hard to find a better job... out there.

Now a days YES, but I suggest that you start with VOLUNTEER work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mavy Elizabeth Barajas in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

In my senior year i sign in for a carrer health program i was really interesting in a nursing field, because i love and i enjoy working with people. Then the teacher send as to have expirences in clinics and facities to see how it work. They send 5 students in West Hills Health& Rehab Centerfor therapy i really enjoy that and i got more interested in nursing field. Then when i finish my senior year i contunue going voleturing n then i ask for job. they hire me but i was hired for Activities Assitant but i did now anythingh about that so the activities director teach me everything. I become a activities asstant almost about a year. i enjoy to work with people and i love to help them it make me feel good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.