The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What do you enjoy most about activities coordinator work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

gloria in Mission Viejo, California

83 months ago

any advice on activities coordinator jobs, how to get one, interviewing, anything imhoffgloria@yahoo.com with the elderly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

April in Columbus, Ohio

69 months ago

Hello Gloria! I am a volunteer/activities coordinator for an assisted living facility. The job is extremely creative and enjoyable, and you do form a bond with the residents. My salary is $32,000/year, which is good, considering, I have a paid position to enjoy time with loved ones. To get your foot in the door, I suggest...VOLUNTEERING! If you volunteer for an assisted living facility, for example, you will have the first-hand experience needed to answer the questions in your interview. It worked for me. I also carry a degree in family science on the undergraduate level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fran in Saint Louis, Missouri

68 months ago

I have just recently been appointed also as an activity coordinator for the elderly in a residential home, and wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions too.

Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

marshashaikh@yahoo.com in Huntington Beach, California

66 months ago

Clare in United Kingdom said: I have just recently been appointed as an activity coordinator for the elderly in a residential home & was just wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for things that I could do with the residents. I already have a few ideas but any help from others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Day trips to museums, a special event that's in town for a limited time, special guided tours to local attractions or attractions that would be a day trip...playing cards or charades etc on the bus. Bring in musicians that play "oldie" music (of their era) so they can sing &/ or dance. Speical event dances - how about a prom? How 'bout a big band dance nite or disc? Get residents who play an instrument signed up for their own concert or have them play once a month at dinner. Loads of fun things to do! Is this helpful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda-lael in Boston, United Kingdom

41 months ago

Hi, I'm a newly appointed activities coordinator and my boss has asked me to record everything I do with residents. Does anyone have a recording template that can help? I used to use tick box i.e Bingo, tick. That's out because it apparently lacks meaning. Help please!! Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terif Activity Coordinator in Fullerton, California

18 months ago

I have been an Activity Coordinator for decades and love it. The pay isn't the greatest but to be part of making someone's later life happier is priceless. I meet a lot of wonderful people (residents/family and staff). I get to do fun stuff like go to Knott's Berry Farm, movies, lunch and more. I get to try new things like go to the Opera! I give 100% because it matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

gloria in Mission Viejo, California said: any advice on activities coordinator jobs, how to get one, interviewing, anything imhoffgloria@yahoo.com with the elderly

Gloria:

Volunteer at a Adult Day Care, Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing Facility that you might want to work at. Help call Bingo, make crafts, play chess or indoor games. Help on field trips. Help plan parties or socials. If you like it, get your 36 hour activity Leader Certificate (at places such as NOCCCD in Fullerton, CA). The turnover for Activity Coordinator is pretty high so I think positions will be plentifully available. There is a larger segment of aging people as baby boomers are getting in their 60's now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about activities coordinator work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Since I just answered in other replies what I like about my job. The challenges include motivating residents to participate, budget, hopefully supportive management, and low pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.