Administrative Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 176)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Laidoff in CT

76 months ago

Hi Staten Island. Most of my, interviews, I did get through job postings, and some contract interviews were through agents. But, I did the standard process, of hitting the sites.

I start in the AM, and check throughout the day. I figure the more applications I put in, someone will call. I had 2 rejections today. One was from a large company. I interviewed, and the whole thing was disorganized. It took 4 weeks for them to call me at home and say they filled the job. No mention of saying thanks for coming in. Just the job was filled and good luck.

Then I got an email saying I was over qualified for another.

The search is back on for tomorrow. I am tired. I did hours of yard work. And, I am wondering what will happen when my savings runs out, if I will even have a house. I will call my mortgage holder tomorrow and see what they can do to help me. I can't ruin my credit or I won't get a job. All this over scrutiny is getting rediculous.

Last time, they did nothing but demand me to send in tax returns, then never called me. I still have good credit so no one is going to help.

I am buying food and gas on my credit card. Unemployment is going to the mortgage payment and it's not enough to cover it, so I use what is left of my bank account.

My past employer is paying my medical till May of next year. (I am happy for that).

So, I will just keep trying to get interviews and hope that someone will finaly hire me. I am going to start looking in NYC at this point.

Mainly my search was in Connecticut.

Also, 49 is not a Granny.

Good luck to everyone this week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tthisjasi in Staten Island, New York

76 months ago

Thanks for giving me your input on how you go about getting these interviews.
I too am in the same situation. I don't know what will become of me. I only
have a few months of unemployment remaining. The first few months, were filled
with re-training. I was an Office Manager for over 20 years. On the side, I sent out many resumes. I didn't get any replies. Then I took off all the dates from my resume, that would identify my age. After I did that, I got several calls. One was for a job as a Receptionist on Wall Street for $10 an hour. The other was for a health club Receptionist. I had one interview at an agency for temp work. After I went to the interview, I never heard back from them.

So now I am just focusing on my Medical Assistant training. I wonder
if I will have more success finding a job in my new field of study.

I know that 49 is not a Granny, but I believe someone 32 years old would be
preferred over me.

Still we can't give up, because miracles can happen.

God Bless.

jobseeker also in Mandeville, Louisiana

73 months ago

Comment-asaurus in Atlanta, Georgia said: I disgagree with you. While I am young I got an admin. job without wearing a high skirt or low cut blouse and I drive a Hyundai. I was hired because I had experience assisting higher ups in the company I was moving from and a Bachelors. My Mother in law went from being an AA in the military to a much higher position recently - and she is in her min-50s. So I fail to see how people can keep saying it has to do with age or manner of dress.

You are just one of the special ones honey. It is the way it is. I am a very nice looking older woman, educated, and experienced. The new American Way is that if you are older you are out. I hope you never experience what the other women have.
Sorry you fail to see, I guess if you haven't been in that situtation you fail to see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

going crazy in Saint Charles, Missouri

73 months ago

After reading these stories I know I am not alone. I have been a legal secretary, office manager and admin/executive assistant for over 30 years. I lost my job in March of 2008 and have been working as a temp on and off since then. I have had some interviews but to no avail. Two of my competitors were much younger that myself. I can apply to 20 ads per day and do not hear from anyone. I agree it is the AGE factor. I use to apply for a job, interview and get the job. Now I have to be everything to everyone, no one wants to train. I thought there was a learning curve in any job. I am suppose to have worked in an educational environment to get a job working in a university; worked in a medical field to get a job in a hospital or doctors office; worked in a big company to get a job anywhere because this is a team environment (what you cannot have a team environment in a small company?)and the software, please, how can I use software that is available for companies when I have not worked for them? There is no training and no learning curves anymore. No wonder why I cannot find a job, I just do not have the proper background to be a good "fit." I have worked for presidents on down but I am never the right fit. I too, am going to lose my house because I support myself, do not have anyone to depend on, and unemployment is not enough to keep my head above water. And crdit card companies, they do not care, 2 have sued me for balances of 2000 or less.
After two years it is hard to be optimistic that things will turn around anytime soon, or at least before I am homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

going crazy in Saint Charles, Missouri

73 months ago

And to the person suggesting government jobs, I have applied to hundreds of them, but they operate on a point system, and if you are not a veteran, a family member of a veteran, a distant relative of a veteran, the owner of a dog that is a veteran, or any other way related to a veteran, you can pretty much forget about it. You get extra points and cannot compete with the free points. I have been more than qualified for many of the job postings, and once again I am not qualified or am not the best candidate, once again I did not have the free points. You kind of don't have a chance even before you apply for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in Connecticut

73 months ago

I just read a post by going crazy. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have been getting more interviews, but on a last minute fluke I went on a contract interview yesterday, and within a few hours the manager wanted to hire me for a contract. I figure it's better then being on unemployment so I am going to give it a shot. It's a 45 min. drive each way, but it's a role as a, "technology project coordinator". Meanwhile, I had more interviews for regular jobs, and even one today that was completely rediculous. They talked to me like I was a 20 year old with no experience. Then told me they were doing a pysch. interview with structured questions. It was a mini cattle call. So, I got through it. They called it senior position, yet the pay was less then I made over 13 years ago. Still, I gave it my best shot.

Well, at least I found a contract job for now. I sure hope things get better in the market. I have been on over 30 interviews, been assigned homework, tested, questioned, you name it.

I feel like starting a blog about my experiences. The good, the bad, and the ugly!!

All I have to say to everyone is to not give up. I know it's hard and it's beyond scary to see your whole life unravel, your home at risk, and no one cares. At least at times I thought that was the case.

Pretty much in my darkest moment, I found there were people who cared and there are forms of help out there for the hardship part of this. But, it's also like a job to find the help.

We all have to keep our spirits up. God Bless all who are reading this post.

Marie in Staten Island, New York

73 months ago

I didn't get any interviews until I changed my resume. I was let go from my last position after 4 months. I was at the previous position before that for 20 years.

I sent out tons of resumes with the dates of my employment, and did not receive one call. I finally changed the date on my long term position to show I was only there for 10 years. After I changed the dates on my resume, I have been called for several interviews. I still didn't get the job, but at least I am in the game.

When in Rome, do like the Romans.

If they ask me where I was before this, I intend to tell them I only listed my last 10 years of experience.

Also, leave the dates off of you education, unless it is recent.
It's called selling and marketing yourself. Tough times, call for tough measures.

Sorry for all the cliches.

Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in CT

73 months ago

What a good idea Marie in Staten Island. I agree, it takes every method and all the energy you have. I've had some crazy interviews, ranging from professional to weird, and then rediculous.
I walked into a place last week, (when I was at my fed up level), and went on a contract interview. The manager hired me that night. Yet all these other places seem to take 3 mos to figure out who they want to hire. I hope this contract lasts. And, the good thing is that it's a IT Project Coordinator, so the pay is better.

Last week I had an employer tell me I was lucky to get a job (if I happen to get thiers) even though it was 30K less.

I had considered it but know I would be struggling. I was happy I took a chance on this other contractor interview, because it will be money for a little while and more then I had made in my last job.

It's a scary market and we all have to use every method we can to get interviews and sell ourselves. We have the experience, but we are all up against so many other candidates.

Best wishes to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen

73 months ago

I am 53 years old and got laid off for the second time in 2 years, and I have gone on two interviews so far. One was at a collection agency where the guy was in shorts and the other one where the recruiters had hair like they jumped out of bed and one of them was smacking gum and high fiving people. OMG
I have been out of work 28 days so far and like having some time off but its time to go back Last time it was a year until I got a job.

Finally got some work

73 months ago

Hi Everyone, I have put several posts on this board. I finally got a contract job, but it's 45 mins. away and at Yale. I am happy about it, as it's out of the Admin. arena and a project planner. I worked for a major corp. for 15 yrs. in Technology. Now I get to do things I like and am happy learning. Even though it's only 6 mos. it's still work. I am going to make the most of it.

I sure hope it lasts a good long time. The manager said it could be a year. But, you never know with contracts. If they get mad, they can cut you in a moment.

I am just glad I found something for the moment. I had been on 30 interviews. Some were ridiculous, over scrutinizing, control freaks, nice people, and people I would never want to work for.

I had some declines, some no rsponse, or emails of rejection. It's not easy out there. I know, so I decided for now I am going to take a little vacation from interviews and hope that things pick up this year.

For now I will stay put at Yale and know that I can add that to my resume and hopelly continue on out of the Admin. Arena.

But, I did notice one thing in the education sector, there are all ages! I was happy to see many working men and women over the age of 50. It's so nice, as in the corporate arena, it's mainly young people and assertive women in leadership that just want an admin. to bark orders at or control.

We've all met them.

Hopefully this year will bring more jobs for us all.

Best wishes.

73 months ago

Congratulations on your new position at Yale. It's good to finally hear good news on the job front. I am glad you did not give up even after 30 interviews. My sister has a contracting job that was only supposed to last for 6 months, and she is now at the same position for over 3 years. I hope yours will last as long.

I have only been on one interview the entire year. I have to say I really blew that interview myself. I finally started getting invited to interviews after I tweaked my resume. I only listed dates that go back 10 years. Then I started getting a few calls for interviews. I turned down several part time job interviews, because I am now pursuing an Associates Degree on the weekends.
The college helped me get the Pell Grant in accordance with the
letter Gov. Paterson sent out to the unemployed in NY City. It said that funds may be available to help the unemployed attend college/training. (not the same as the ITG Grant). If anyone is interested they should go to their college's Financial Aid office and speak to a counselor. It would be best to act quickly before more government cuts go into effect.

I am still trying to find a full time position, and did not want to settle for a part time position at this time. Most of them were only offering 3 days of work a week. If I would be able to find a part time position that offered a full weeks pay, I would certainly apply for it. It seems a majority of the jobs available now are part time or consulting.

Thanks again for providing us with another perspective on the job market and a different job sectors to consider.

Best Wishes to all for a better 2010.

vicquefassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

Although you are not interested in part-time employment and have turned down interviews for part-time employment, you also state that you "blew the interview" that you were on recently.

I always recommend, if logistically and financially (gas money) it can be done, to go on as many interviews as possible - EVEN if you KNOW you don't want the job. It gives you a great opportunity to "practice" your interviewing skills and your responses to typical interviewing questions. If you only wait for that one dream job interview to accept an interview, then you have a greater chance of "blowing it" because you are nervous, or didn't think through your answers ahead of time, or didn't research the company first, or whatever the reason(s) is you may feel like you didn't do well on the interview.

A thank-you note is a great way to "fix" what may not have gone right in the interview. In addition to thanking the person for the interview, you can also "re-answer" - in writing now - a question asked of you during the interview.

In addition, it's ok to go back MORE than 10 years - as long as you don't put the actual dates on the resume and as long as the experience is related to what you want to do now. Many people started out with a dream job (but may not have realized it at the time) and now want to go back into that particular field. You can still include that relevant experience from 15 years ago, just don't say the years!

The purpose of a resume is to get noticed - to get a phone interview and/or an in-person interview. (At which point you can then address any questions regarding dates.) If you leave dates off a resume (and just write the "number" of years of experience), I also recommend keeping a resume at your house in a particular "safe" place that has ALL the dates on it (because the one you sent out into the universe doesn't include dates). So, when/if asked during a phone interview, you have those answers right there in front of you.

73 months ago

Thanks for the advice. It seems like you might be a Placement Counselor
or HR expert.

I really do appreciate it. It's just hard juggling a full load of college
courses while looking for a full time job. Once I get settled into the classes,
I will certainly go on all interviews, even if they are only part time positions.
I do need the experience.

I probably should of went on the interview that required me to take 3 buses there, and 3 buses home. Everyone told me it seemed to far and sounded dangerous.

I wasn't waiting for a "Dream Job", just one that could pay the minimum amount
to keep me afloat. A job paying $10 - $14 an hour for 3 days a week just doesn't do it. However, I do see your point about getting the practice in.

The Thank You note is also a great idea. It would of been a chance for me to clear up any doubts they might have had.

Need to be proactive in Manchester, Connecticut

73 months ago

I have been a Senior Administrative Assistant for almost 3 years at my current company. My life just became very stressful in the last three weeks. I was put on performance warning and have 30 days to improve my performance. I meet weekly with my manager to go over what was accomplished. Last week she informed me that she felt my performance review would be extended. I need to give her three to five ways I'm going to be proactive with my two key prinicples. I also need to create a action plan. I'm have no idea where to start in being proactive. When I started in my current position I was not show or told how one becomes proactive. I was just shown and told how to do Administrative duties. Everytime I think I'm being proactive my manager informs me I'm not. I feel like I'm stuck. I would appreciate any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen

73 months ago

If your trying to be proactive as you possibly can, and the manager thinks your doing a bad job, start looking for another job. I remember one time a manager of mine had me on 30 day suspension it was brutal, I kept to myself and talked to no one except my manager and did my work. Hopefully your manager is not a power freak. I found out that one man manager I had was so power crazy was that at home he was a wuss and his wife had the balls.
If nothing else works, I'd start looking, I know its hard I am looking myself but I am glad when I got laid off from my job it wasnt due to job performance it was due to reduction in force. Good luck.

Finally got some work

73 months ago

To the person on the 30 day notice. I would start looking on the side just to protect your self, and also start keeping a journal.

Write down the points that your boss is complaining about and your rebuttal to each item. Start taking proctive action on the items. Ask your boss some ideas on how you could resolve the matters.

This is a method to protect yourself. My old boss tried that on me. I did the above, and kept records. I got HR involved also. In the end I was in the job for 5 years. Three of them were the most miserable years in my cwork career. My raises were held and if I did get one they were smaller. But, because I took action, the HR Dept. kept an eye on the situation. When I stood up to my boss, with proof, and a list of how the job was misaligned, and why. I had the proof to back it up and the former people who had the job had the same problem.

Goog luck and keep up updated.

vicquefassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

Since you have been at the same job, in the same role, for three years now, it is unfortunately possible that your employer is simply looking for a way to create a paper trail in order to let you go. If that is the case, no matter what you do or what you try, it will not meet their standards because they have no intention of keeping you on board. That would be the worst case scenario and something you have no control over.

If, on the other hand, they really do want to help you and are giving you the opportunity to "prove yourself" - then embrace this opportunity and make the most of it. Create an Action Plan in writing. Think of 10 responsibilities you have at work - then try to come up with ways you can (proactively) improve upon those and make your job more streamlined so that you have more time to help someone else? Do another project? Meet the day's deadlines? (Whatever the case may be for you).

It's difficult for me to give you specific things to write in your action plan when I know so little about your employer and the responsibilities and expectations of the job you hold. In general, I would not quit; I would not be angry or suddenly become quiet and passive. I would, again, use this as a chance to grow and learn.

Maybe you do a newsletter and can get that done ahead of time; maybe you can put all the accounts on a database. The list and ideas are endless. What you need to focus on and "prove" is how the company NEEDS you - your particular creativity, ideas, skills, and experience. What can you offer them that no one else can?

Do you simply show up and do whatever they tell you, or can you get in early and make coffee for everyone, organize the mail, type the memos, respond to emails, etc. before noon? Maybe in your action plan you can say "items 1-5 listed here" will be done by noon, leaving time for planning for the manager's meeting every day at 1pm.

DON'T QUIT!

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

Manchester, as someone else said, keep a journal (meaning keep everything documented). Sounds to me like you're not meeting their expectations - simply because they don't want you to. I bet you're confused as heil - they're telling you something, you think you're doing what they told you, and they're telling you're not. It's called mind games.

Sounds like they're setting you up to dump you. Be prepared.

73 months ago

Thank you everyone for responding. I am keeping a journal of what I am doing everyday. Hr is involved and I have spoken to them and voiced my concerns. I do feel that no matter what I do I will be let go sooner or later. I am also looking for a job, but it is slim pickings, unless you want to go into sales.

Karen

73 months ago

I have been laid off twice in the last two years and I have a great opportunity to work for a Dept of Defense company I am one of 4 people they are interviewing from 180 resumes that they have received. I wish you the best of luck and remember when one door closes, another door opens.

Finally got some work

73 months ago

Hi There, I just want to say, you are brave, and I admire your courage. Stick it out as long as you can there. If they do let you go, yoiu can ask them for benefits, even if they don't offer you anysthing. I had a friend that did this. She was only at the company a short time.

Remember, they have to go through a lot to fire anyone. Meetings, reviews, etc. Sometimes it's easier for them to pay you off if you make a big enough fuss. If it comes down to it, you can always demand a severance pay and benefits. If it's a big company, they have the money to do so. You should also ask for a, "non dispargement agreement". In otherwords, they can not bad mouth you after you depart the company.

I was laid off after many years at a large company. They paid me for 1/2 a year, and full medical for a year, plus education retraining, and unemployment after the severence ran out.

How long have you been there? And, is your boss male or female?

Sarah in Abilene, Texas

73 months ago

Reply to "Need to be proactive in Manchester": Fight for your job! Make the best of each work day by the time the 30-days is up. I agree, don't quit, but stay realistic if they are looking to let you go (if they have a paper trail, then your paper trail too and HR involved is the best defense). Where to start being proactive? just simply anything/everything that involves you taking initiative in a support capacity. No one is shown/told how to be proactive. Support areas that really count/help the team--What area does your boss not want to waste time on? "you to the rescue" with offering to tackle whatever that is, once your main duties have been accomplished. Anything that saves money--if it saves time and time is money, it is ultimately saving money. Making your boss looks good makes you look good, and look good to other managers. What if they were to merge 2 Admin roles, and suddenly the way you are undeniably, proactively serving in your role is out-shining others...By the way, what changed after nearly 3 yrs that you are freshly being put on performance warning? Are you being compared to others filling similar shoes? Is it a new manager or new program? You're not a new employee, so chances are you are doing fine, and they want to convince you otherwise--don't stand for that. In those weekly meetings with your manager, be sure to say clearly "I am here to support you as a manager and your team" and pause, then jot notes of what he/she says. Also, take note of his/her non-verbal communications (full eye contact or dodging it? nervous fiddling around w/ hands or hair? leaned back, sitting up straight, distracted, acting in a hurry/rush to wrap it up?). Find out why the review is to be extended, and in addition to the written action plan you create w/3-5 ways w/the 2 key prinicples, don't just plan on what you "WILL DO", start taking ACTION where you can document what you "ARE DOING". Take heart that HR/witnesses are around, not just 1 manager. People see the light.

73 months ago

Reply to Need to be Proactive in Manchester.

The same kind of thing happened to me many years ago at my Office Manager position. I was put on probation, but I was given the reasons and the areas
I was expected to improve in. Then when my probation was coming to an end,
the Manager told me he had to extend it. I became so upset and I told him to decide if he was going to keep me or not. I wouldn't recommend the same strategy in this economy.

I think the advice being given to you by the members of this board is very good. I don't understand why you are given the task of creating items to be more proactive in. Shouldn't the Manager be giving you areas where you need to improve. I find this a little odd. Also, I believe the theory that something
must of changed, since it took 3 years for them bring this on. Identify what the change could be and try to deal with it. Is there a new Manager or other worker pointing out your weaknesses?

Most importantly try to remain professional and just do the best job you can do.
Hopefully they will notice your improvements and you can turn it around.

In any event, I fought for my job and I outlasted the Manager who put me on probation. Stranger than that, I received a raise 2 months after the probation incident. Eventually the Manager was fired, and I stayed on for 10 more years. When I left the company, it was for a better position.

Whatever you do, just don't let them make you quit. If you quit, they won't have to contribute to your unemployment insurance.

Stay strong and remember that you may outlast them all. That would be proactive for sure.

73 months ago

Finally got some work said: Hi There, I just want to say, you are brave, and I admire your courage. Stick it out as long as you can there. If they do let you go, yoiu can ask them for benefits, even if they don't offer you anysthing. I had a friend that did this. She was only at the company a short time.

Remember, they have to go through a lot to fire anyone. Meetings, reviews, etc. Sometimes it's easier for them to pay you off if you make a big enough fuss. If it comes down to it, you can always demand a severance pay and benefits. If it's a big company, they have the money to do so. You should also ask for a, "non dispargement agreement". In otherwords, they can not bad mouth you after you depart the company.

I was laid off after many years at a large company. They paid me for 1/2 a year, and full medical for a year, plus education retraining, and unemployment after the severence ran out.

How long have you been there? And, is your boss male or female?

Hi Finaly Got Some Work,

I have been with the company for almost three years, my three years will be on March 5th. I would of never thought to ask for a "non dispargement agreement". If it does come down to them letting me go I will ask for that. My boss is a female that has been with the company for 15 yrs. But only a manager for the last two. Before that she was an Executive Administrative Assistant.

72 months ago

One of the resons was I'm not proactive enough. My manager wants me to be alteast 3 steps ahead of the two people I support. In every meeting I have had with my manager I have been told it will be a challenge for me to get there.
When I first started with the company I reported to a different manager, then there was a reoganization of the sales department. The manager I have now took over managing the Admins on the sales side. She has only been managing for a little over two years. She doesn't like to micromanage, but when you go to ask her a question she never really gives you a good answer or tells you, that you have been with the company long enough to know the answer.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

One of the resons was I'm not proactive enough. My manager wants me to be alteast 3 steps ahead of the two people I support. In every meeting I have had with my manager I have been told it will be a challenge for me to get there.

WHAT??????!!!

That is not even a realistic goal. They are the supervisor (or boss or whatever). They make the money to do the thinking. Your job is do what they expect, and when you see something that needs attention, then you advise them and/or do what you can to take care of it.

They're playing mindgames with you. You will not be able to appease them.

Finally got some work

72 months ago

Hi There, I know just how you feel. I was in a tough position for 5 years, with a inexperience with people younger manager that was also a women.

If you are in a larger company, you may be able to get some benefits out of them. If you think they are going to let you go, you may be able to work out a, "deal" before that can happen.

Talk to HR, remind them that you have been, proactive in your effort to improve and resolve the work situation. It sounds like a personality conflict. Who knows, your boss may be threatened by you, or even a control freak. I wouldn't mention that to HR. What I did was I went to the Corporate Headquarter's HR, and asked them what they planned to do about my situation. I was lucky that other's complained too and I had a long term positive track record with the company. But, I do know many that were in your situation, and were able to work out something to stay and transfer, or get some type of compensation. If you were there 3 years, and have a prove track record, that will be in your favor.

Just remember, the HR Dept. works for the management. Be very cautious what you say to them. Press on that you have been proactive and willing to make all necessary adjustments to rectify the situation (say this even if you hate, and depise the current boss). They can't fault you for being positive.

I am only saying this as the economy is bad and work will be hard to find right now. But, if they do let you go, you do not want to lose your benefit to collect unemployment, or have them discredit you to future employmers. If they are a larger company, they may have a company policy to call an 800 number which only gives dates, etc.

You can create a reference list for yourself, (check with all the parties on the list first). Then you submit that with your resume, when you apply for jobs.

Also, you can have someone call and do a check after you leave the company (if you leave the company). Stay as long as you can. And, get a pink sli

Finally found work

72 months ago

It sounds like the manager isn't being, "proactive" as a manager.
I know how hard it is to go through something like this. I hate to say stick it out under the conditions. It seems like you are trying to do everything you can. With the nut I had to deal with, I asked her, if she could help me, "prioritize" and give me new ideas on how to do so, so I was willing to make a difference. After being tortured and made to feel awful, etc. I stood up to it and came out on top. It wasn't till the economy got bad that the manager has a easy way to get me out. I always did the work and people liked me, so they couldn't do anything, until the bad economy. But, they did have to give me a "package".
Just don't let this person devalue who you are in any way. It's just a mis match for a manager. You will have better days ahead. Keep us updated and let us know what happens. Stay strong, look for jobs on the side, create the reference list with names, and phone numbers. Polish up the resumes, learn any new softwares for free on UTube, or free library books. Do everything your boss asks. Prepare rebuttels to each item she complained about. If you don't have a list, email her (keep a copy) of anything you do that was requested. Follow up and say, I took care of XXX, and XXX. Thank you ...

Create a paper trail that you did what ever it is/was. I made my boss produce a list of items I needed to improve on.

I also prepared a list of things that were Misaligned in the job and other work that was not part of the job that I was doing.

Good luck and keep your head up. This is only one person, you will come across many idiots in your career. The trick is to not let them get to you. Be positive and never let them know they upset you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gracie257 in Toms River, New Jersey

72 months ago

Need to be proactive in Manchester, Connecticut said: One of the resons was I'm not proactive enough. My manager wants me to be alteast 3 steps ahead of the two people I support. In every meeting I have had with my manager I have been told it will be a challenge for me to get there.
When I first started with the company I reported to a different manager, then there was a reoganization of the sales department. The manager I have now took over managing the Admins on the sales side. She has only been managing for a little over two years. She doesn't like to micromanage, but when you go to ask her a question she never really gives you a good answer or tells you, that you have been with the company long enough to know the answer.

Hi! I think what they mean is 'anticipate' what your boss will need without them telling/asking you. If they're working on a project ask them if you can get them so & so files - do you want me to create a special link, etc. Anticipate their needs - suggest to them what they might need before they have to tell you.
Also, sounds like your new boss thinks of herself as Miss Admin of the Year - she's trying to groom you to be as good as she was and of course NO ONE will ever match her skills! Good luck! As someone else said, don't be foolish enough to quit - if it happens let them let you go so that you can collect.

Finally found work

72 months ago

Also, remember to try to stay positive, as this is just an experience that can go either way. And, one day could be behind you. You have to think of yourself, your reputation and future benefits, and references.

Always plan 2 steps ahead for your own future. You have to protect yourself because at the end of the day,,, these companies only care about thier bottom line.

I think my lay off was a growth experience. It showed me what is out there and I am capable of getting a better job.

Remember, stay strong, and come back for advice, as we are all happy to give our view. But, it's always your choice. Hopefully, the different opinions will help.

Robin

Diana in Dulles, Virginia

72 months ago

I have read many of the comments above and I have to say that being in Admin has done well for me. I am a 34 year old single mother (never received child support), have never had a problem supporting myself with a house, even bought a new car, and have worked most of my life as an AA. I now work for the DoD, also as an AA, and I have been sent to Tokyo and London. I have benefits in this job along with a TSP. I have no complaints and do better than most of my friends - I have nothing but positive things to say about this field.
Don't have delusions about becoming the CEO and you will do just fine. I worked my butt off in corporate America when I was younger, and by the time I was 26, I had a high level position. I hated every minute of it. I was not able to spend time with my daughter and THAT work was completely unsatisfying. For the last 8 years, I have been an AA, and I have never been happier.
To each their own, I guess.

72 months ago

I spoke with HR today about some concerns I have been having about the process of my written performance warning. I informed my HR person that I never received a verbal warning from my manager. She will be looking into this and will be asking my manager for dates that I was told my performace is in question. I also spoke to one of my key principals will call him HD. I have been supporting him since I have started. He has no concerns with me and feels that I am doing my job just fine. I now feel that I have a problem with my other key principal. We don't have a great realtionship but I'm trying build one with him. I believe he is where my problem is. I will be talking to HR again tomorrow on the information that I was given from HD. I feel this will help me. I'm a little more positive now, but not getting my hopes up.

Diane Forney in Naperville, Illinois

71 months ago

I've been an EA for over 20 years. I worked for management, CFO & President, of a bank within those 20 years and was let go over 2 years ago due to the bank being acquired. I loved my job. I was paid very well, for someone who graduated with an Associates Degree in the "secretarial" field. I've recently been working for a new, smaller company as an admin, and to date, it's been pure hell. I'm expected to do the work of 3 admins and my salary is 60% less than where I was over 2 years ago. The role of an admininstrative/executive assistant has changed over the years, as I've noticed companies are looking for assistants who will work for multiple managers or departments. I'm burned out by this career. My husband has been out of work for almost 2 years, so I can't just quit my job. I search job postings and nothing about the admin job description appeals to me anymore. This "career" choice was a good start, and it can be for anyone, but it's not for me anymore.

lawwadmin in Sterling, Virginia

71 months ago

e in Stamford, Connecticut said: Come to Connecticut. Admins are the ones driving the BMW's and Range Rovers.

If that is the case, then I am moving to Connecticut. Admins in Northern VA are typically paid poorly

Lou in Kissimmee, Florida

69 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I am/was a legal assistant. Even when I was 25 I was always competiting in interviews with the beautiful girls with less skills. I have had some pretty decent jobs - but I would have had far better jobs, better opportunities and more money had I been young and very pretty.

The irony is that the not pretty (average) have to work to build skills, knowledge, education. The pretty just have to be pretty. At my last job (lasted two years) I constantly helped the secretary who sat next to me - and she was getting paid $11,000 a year more than I was.

Mary, I can so relate to your last comment. I have/had been a legal assistant for the last 28 yrs. I was always fortunate to work for a senior partner or head of the firm. The last position, the associates' secretary was out (sick?) 80% of the time for over a 9 month period. I was promised a slower calmer firm than the mega trial-based pervious firm. Instaead I was working for 3 attorneys, as part time receptionist, etc. I made the decision to change careers. Having worked since 15 yrs. old, accumulating bookkeeping, secretary, administrative, executive assistant and legal skills, I hoped I would not have to difficult a time. Like so many of you, I have an extensive resume and wealth of knowledge 2 or 4 years of that college cannot even begin to touch, but have not received one phone call. No matter what anyone tells you, age, beauty and who you know are the only things that matter anymore. The reason for that is the 20-30 age group has control and they (saddly, like in school at any level) hire on a clickish mentality. Knowledge, dedication, loyalty and truly caring that the company you work for will be there in 20-40 years and in better shape than now, is gone because most are never there more than 1-2 yrs. After reading so many of the comments on administrative assistant positions, I have chosen to get into a medical field. Go searchers!! GO!!!

Laid off CT in Norwalk, Connecticut

69 months ago

Just an update to everyone. I have now hit a year of being unemployed asside from 3 contract jobs that didn't last as long as they were supposed to but still, it was good to work at these different places. I just got another short term one near home, and I took a pay cut. I figure it's better then what unemployment is paying.

For now, it seems in this area that the companies don't want to pay benefits and just want temps for thier admin. support. it's Summer so people go on vacation and medical leaves which makes for a good temporary market.

I am waiting for a background check to clear, and a drdug test then I will start this week. So, it's good news for now. I am beginning to think it's impossible to land a perm job at this point. I have to just go week by week and get temp work.

I am sure we all never could imagine it would be this bad, but I encourage all to keep on trying. I have my daily routine of sending resumes out.

Checking sites, etc. And, I learned to not take any of the rejection personally. Or, the poor behavior of agents and other HR staff who are overloaded with candidates.

dmarcil in Spring Grove, Illinois

68 months ago

Maybe it is your attitude and the way you come off to people??? Just by your tone of your comments, it is a little brash and maybe you are percieved as such. If you hate it that much, then change it. No one can do it for you, except you....

68 months ago

You seem a little brash yourself. Are you always this judgemental???

Kay in Jacksonville, North Carolina

67 months ago

These posts have definitely made me rethink my future education plans..

I graduated with a BS in Advertising 2 years ago from a business school. I've taken all the marketing courses, comm, IT courses, etc. I got a good job right away and worked for a year in Massachusetts, but then got laid off because "the last one in is the first one out". I recently moved to NC to be with my military husband and now can't get a job for the life of me. I applied for a few Administrative Assistant jobs and got no response. I figured my years of experience with Microsoft Office, customer service, answering phones and filing would suffice (as per the qualifications), but I guess not. Plus, only 11% of residents in the area have a 4 year degree. I figured I was all set....
I think I should take an Administrative Assistant course at the local community college and hopefully achieve Certification. But, after reading all these reviews I'm not sure this is the path I should be taking. 95% of the jobs in my area involve the military, construction and farming. Advertising jobs are over an hour away and we plan on being here for another 5 years. I need a job ASAP, and I don't think I would mind being an AA... I just don't want to waste my time and money if most of the people who currently have jobs as an AA don't like it. That makes me nervous!

laid off in Connecticut in Norwalk, Connecticut

67 months ago

I was an AA for one of the largest companies in the world. I worked in IT. I didn't have to answer phones but more so did functions like purchasing and budgets meeting planning, etc. I think it depends really on who you work for and the company culture. My salary at the time was usually over 70K to 80K a year, as I worked OT and had financial responsibilities. My best advice is to give a shot and try. You may want to try some admin. temp work, if you can get any. Learn as many softwares as you can.
Use the larger agencies, Manpower, Kelly Services, Addecco.

I have been laid off for a year and had 6 mos. of assorted work and just took an assignment at my former employer.

My best advice, try temping as none of the companies want to pay benefits and they hire internals for open positions.

Be deligent and write a cover letter that emphasizes, your degree, and your expertise in MS Office. etc.

Good luck, to you an all the other's out there looking for work.

Karen

67 months ago

I have been laid off 2 consecutives times, One in 2007 and one in 2009, I worked for a very good company for 20 years in the HR dept and loved it and they decided to let me go because they were losing money and management didnt know how to handle the money from the company. Needless to say, I have my own business now, I run a company called Housewives who Love to Clean and I clean houses with my business partner and we have been doing it for 5 months since I got laid off at Beltone! Yeah for that some two faced people still work for the company! and you know who you are that is the best thing that ever happened to me. I work everyday in this business on my terms, work maybe 4- 5 hours a day, go for coffee in the morning with my business partner, come home and do whatever. I love it and I dont want to go back to a regular job again. I dont trust any of those temporary agencies, they are good for nothing, I knew the woman who worked for Adecco and she was worthless so were the other temp agencies that said they would help you right! I am having the last laugh now! Do something part time that makes money for you that you dont have to claim on taxes and go for it! Its the best thing I ever did and I love it! Also dont go for those scams on the Internet, they are so bogus dont even bother with them. And to all the people that were mean to mean in my last job you got the last laugh when I reported you for not paying me commission on stuff I sold last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jodith Allen in Custer, Washington

67 months ago

I can tell you that if you are in any way identifiable as a military wife, you're going to have a hard time finding employment unless it's a job on base. Many companies don't want to hire military spouses because they know you can be transferred at any time, and they'll just have to hire and train someone again. My dad was in the army for 21 years, and my mom always found it hard to find employment, as did the other wives on base. When we lived off base (so they couldn't identify by address that we were military), she had a much easier time finding work. She even had people tell her to her face when she applied in person for jobs that "we don't hire military". It's not fair, but it is often the case.

Kay in Jacksonville, North Carolina

67 months ago

Jodith Allen in Custer, Washington said: I can tell you that if you are in any way identifiable as a military wife, you're going to have a hard time finding employment unless it's a job on base. Many companies don't want to hire military spouses because they know you can be transferred at any time, and they'll just have to hire and train someone again. My dad was in the army for 21 years, and my mom always found it hard to find employment, as did the other wives on base. When we lived off base (so they couldn't identify by address that we were military), she had a much easier time finding work. She even had people tell her to her face when she applied in person for jobs that "we don't hire military". It's not fair, but it is often the case.

Wow! That's awful! I don't think they can identify me as military.. We don't live on base. However, even with the jobs on base that I've applied for, I've never received an interview. I've heard that you basically have to have an "in" and know someone who already works in that department.

Plant guy in Cary, North Carolina

67 months ago

Ok here it is. I work in a entiredly different field than admin but my girlfriend wants to be a admin and get out of retail. She has no admin experience although she has all the knowledge and skills but since her resume doesnt show experience she is overlooked.

I work around every admin assistant in 16 very large coporate buildings. almost all of them are NOT "tall blonde and beutiful". They do not wear low cut shirts and skirts. THey are average people in there 40s. About a 1/4 of them are in there 50 and 60s. A few are in there 20-30's. I know one man that is a admin assist, executive level. These companies are major pharm, engineering, technology companies. Most of them seem very content with there work. They make a good pay and get treated pretty well. In most cases they are very much needed for the companies to operate.

Second, How can someone get into the admin field with just retail experience. SHe is a assistant manager, with a unrelated 2 year art degree. What does she need to do? SHould she go back to school and get a 2 year business admin degree? You may complain about being a admin but some people would love to be in your position.

lookingmyself in Central, New Jersey

67 months ago

Karen said: I have been laid off 2 consecutives times, One in 2007 and one in 2009, I worked for a very good company for 20 years in the HR dept and loved it and they decided to let me go because they were losing money and management didnt know how to handle the money from the company. Needless to say, I have my own business now, I run a company called Housewives who Love to Clean and I clean houses with my business partner and we have been doing it for 5 months since I got laid off at Beltone! Yeah for that some two faced people still work for the company! and you know who you are that is the best thing that ever happened to me. I work everyday in this business on my terms, work maybe 4- 5 hours a day, go for coffee in the morning with my business partner, come home and do whatever. I love it and I dont want to go back to a regular job again. I dont trust any of those temporary agencies, they are good for nothing, I knew the woman who worked for Adecco and she was worthless so were the other temp agencies that said they would help you right! I am having the last laugh now! Do something part time that makes money for you that you dont have to claim on taxes and go for it! Its the best thing I ever did and I love it! Also dont go for those scams on the Internet, they are so bogus dont even bother with them. And to all the people that were mean to mean in my last job you got the last laugh when I reported you for not paying me commission on stuff I sold last year.

One caution about the long term--you aren't racking up $ for social security or disability. Otherwise--I like your description of your new job. Inspiring!

Karen

67 months ago

Thanks I really enjoy doing what I am doing. I will probably get a regular job when I get sick of doing this which wouldnt be anytime soon. Thanks for the feedback and I am from Central Jersey too. I use to live in Middletown, NJ

gracie257 in Toms River, New Jersey

67 months ago

Karen said: Thanks I really enjoy doing what I am doing. I will probably get a regular job when I get sick of doing this which wouldnt be anytime soon. Thanks for the feedback and I am from Central Jersey too. I use to live in Middletown, NJ

Hi Karen: Re 'looking myself in central jersey' - her comment re s/s contributions. I hope you have an accountant going over your books especially for the first year because I believe if you are self employed your accountant should make you pay into s/s. You are not entitled to unemployment benefits as a self employed person but I do believe you still have to contribute to s/s. I may be wrong but I would ask my accountant if I were you just to make sure and not to jip yourself. good luck & congrats!

Jodith Allen in Custer, Washington

67 months ago

Yes, you have to pay into social security and medicare when you are self-employed. As a matter of fact, you have to pay your portion and the employer's portion, since you are both employer and employee. Which means you pay twice the rate you would as someone else's employee.

The other thing you need to be careful of is paying quarterly withholding to the IRS. If you expect to have to pay more than a certain amount in taxes, you have to make quarterly estimated payments to the IRS. You really should go to irs.gov and search self-employment tax to figure out what you need to do if you don't have an accountant.

Cobi in Yonkers, New York

67 months ago

Makes me wonder why the government is so anxious to get us all to quit smoking. Do they really want everyone to live an extra 20 years to their 90's?? I say let's all get to dying and decrease the surplus population. For that is what we are. "Surplus population."

FedUp! in New York, New York

67 months ago

You do not get a promotion! It is almost impossible if you are an Admin. I have been stuck in it for over 10 years now. No matter how smart you are or how much knowledge you have they will never FULLY RESPECT you or take you seriously! Most of the guys here still do not even say good morning to us let alone hold a conversation! You are better off completely destroying your resume and totally lying on the new one. The glass ceiling is still very alive and well in the U.S. You can forget being taken seriously as an admin and especialy being a woman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.