Administrative Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 176)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Mariet in Staten Island, New York

48 months ago

As long as you are still employed, I would say you are one of the lucky ones. In this economy it is very hard to get an Administrative Assistant job that pays a decent salary.

I used to be an Office Manager/Admin Assistant and I often felt the same way you do.

Now I long for the old days, when at least I knew where my next pay check was coming from.

Who cares if they talk to you? Less trouble for you!
It's all in how you look at it. I know it can sometimes be frustrating because I worked a 4 month assignment (THE ONES THAT LAID ME OFF) with a group of salesmen. All they did was talk about sports all day. Once in a while they would talk about politics.
At least they said good morning to me, but that was the extent of it.

The job I had before that was as an Office Manager for 20 years. The staff talked to me so much, I used to get a headache. You couldn't even get your work done with all the endless chit chat.

I guess I did prefer being included and acknowledged by the staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marichelle in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

48 months ago

Verina in Brooklyn, New York said: Why every one is calling themselves Administrative Assistant,
from a HS degree to a Masters degree in Administration. We don't have secretaries any more.
Why go to college to be an AA, when you can have a HS diploma only and the range of salaries are 23000 to 60000 and more per yr.
If you are over 50 years of age, it is very hard to get an AA position if even you have a BA degree, WHAT IS GOING-ON.

i am up for evaluation and am currently getting paid 40K/year. How much raise should I ask my employer consideing I have contributed 21K worth of profit for the company. It's kind of like I'm only getting paid 1/2 because the other half was the money I bring in to the company. How should I approach my employer about my raise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

just need to know in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

48 months ago

To all admin asst people like me, I was just wondering how much are you all currently getting paid for this position? I've read some people have been mistreated, abuse by doing so much stuff but getting paid little. Should I consider myself lucky if I'm getting paid $15 an hour?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Staten Island, New York

48 months ago

I hate to be negative but you should consider yourself lucky if you even have a job at this point. I was laid off from my Office Manager/Administrative Assistant positon in January 2009, after 20 years in the field. Now I can't even find any job after sending out hundreds of resumes. I went on 3 interviews in over 1-1/2 years and still have not secured a position.

I don't know if I am being paranoid or if I am not getting the jobs because I am 50 years old. I believe it was the case at 2 of the interviews. The 3rd interview told me they would get back to me after July 15th 2009. I called and left a message with the Gentleman that interviewed me. He never even extended me the courtesy of returning my call.

I believe Administrative Assistant's can earn anywhere from the low end of $12 all the way up to $35 an hour. You can look it up at www.salary.com There you can input your job, education, skills, and location for salary ranges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

laid off in Connecticut in Norwalk, Connecticut

48 months ago

Just thought I would share this with the board. I am currently contracting at my former employer that laid me off. Finally after a year of applying back in the company I get an interview. They called me that day to tell me that I can't apply because I am separated from the company and the job is not on a public website. I let them know I am on site as a contractor and also a former LOW (laid off worker). They told me there was a policy that unless the job was posted publically that I am now considered outsider so I can't apply to an internal posting. After all this I reminded them that they get a tax credit to hire me back, and that I would not be in this situaiton had I not been laid off. I am also at the company working internally. Can you believe this rediculous nonsense that the HR department's pull? They obviously thought I was a good candidate, or they would not have set up the interview. At some point they realized I left over a year ago. You can imagine my level of frustration with this one.

You think they would consider an exploratory interview at the very least!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in Astoria, New York

48 months ago

$35 an hour? I would really like to know which companies and where pay that much. Perhaps a Fortune500 company which is very hard to get into - unless you know someone, come from Ivy League school, or some other exclusive reason. If you want to get paid that much, go into nursing, computer science or other professions that require a 4 year degree and state licensure to practice that profession. Online salary calculators are as accurate as the Bureau of Labor Statistics.Colleges and vocational centers brainwash people into believing this so they spend money on their training.If in 1991 I was able to find an administrative assistant job that paid $35/hour, I would have never went for my 4 year in Paralegal Studies degree. I would have went for an AA job instead, and gotten a degree in something better. I know some computer IT people and those in interior design make $40 and up per hour.But administrative assistants?

48 months ago

It is possible but you work hard for that 35 an hour. Right now, I think the only way to get into some of these companies is to know someone, or via temp agency. No one wants to hire, and it's so hard to get an interview. I have gone on plenty over 60 in a year and a 1/2. Most were for nill, and I did get a few contract jobs. The agents are even getting to the point of subcontracting other agents and splitting the comissions they make off of our salary. Yes, that is what it's come down do, yet, more greed.

They pimp us out to make money and we don't get benefits and are lucky to have work. The latest thing is offering a few dollars more then unemployment thinking the people who ran out will take the deal. Some do. It's very sad that this market has created a new level of greed with some of the agents.

My best advice is to use agents that are larger and people you are familiar with. I get calls from agents all over. They basically collect resumes and sell you off to yet another agent to make a buck.

48 months ago

just need to know in Ewa Beach, Hawaii said: To all admin asst people like me, I was just wondering how much are you all currently getting paid for this position? I've read some people have been mistreated, abuse by doing so much stuff but getting paid little. Should I consider myself lucky if I'm getting paid $15 an hour?

Here's some of the pay I had.

Prior to lay off (Fortune 1000 company) 60K plus overtime 15-20K (in better times).
Last year in year of lay off: 60K

Temp job one - 30 an hour (EA role)
Temp job 2 - 32.50 (coordinator role)
Temp job 3 - 30.00 (coordinator role)
Temp job 3 - 33.50 (EA Role)
Temp job 4 - 25.00 (AA Role)

Temp job 4 - 25 an hour

I am on the East Coast. Education - Top Secretarial school, some college, and paralegal certificate.

Long term experience in Major Global Corp.

Skills, MS Office, Outlook, and every software you can imagine including Sharepoint.

Karen

48 months ago

Wow you make more money then I did at a company I worked for for 20 years. But you live in CT and the cost of living is much higher there. I live in CO where the wages are not so good.
Thats why after I got laid off from my job in 2007 and my crappy Beltone job in 2009 I decided to go into self employment and am
so much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Congrats on being self employed. I wish I could do that but it's hard for me. Yes, it is very expensive here, as we are about an hour from New york city. I had to fight to get the pay I got, and there are many that make more then I did and still do.

It's sad how employers are taking advantage of candidates. They are not in the situation and they don't get it. Then there's the low-ball salaries, and temp to hire deals. agents have made a career of sub contracting to other agents and splitting the commissions. So out of an already bad situation new greed as evolved. I am working at my former employer for low money, and 2 agents are splitting the excess they are making off my hard work.

I am possibly getting a direct contract from another place for 35 an hour and I will give the other place notice.

May I ask what business you went into?

Karen

48 months ago

Myself and my neighbor have a cleaning company called Housewives who Love to Clean and we have been doing great.
I am the owner of the company and she is my business partner.
So far so good, until my husband hounds me to get a real job.
Right now no way!

48 months ago

That sounds like a great job. My sister does home organizing and runs errands for some of the wealthier folks, and they pay her 35 an hour. She gets cleaning also. She's in great shape too. Sometimes she does home staging also and clean ups/organizing of households, packing, etc.

Amazing how well she does partime since she gets referrals. Good luck with that. I think it's a great career. I wish I had someone behind me (I am single) and need a steady income stream. Years ago after my divorce I did have a part time business on Ebay, and made over 2K a month part time, but had to stop when I took a busier job. Now I am just too worn out with job searching/contract work, figuring out who to pay, etc. It's hard being without a regular job. I do wish you the best. Sounds like you are doing well
!

Karen

48 months ago

It seems like this business is pretty recession proof.
People are messy. We had a week lag last week but its picked up
so far so I am happy.

48 months ago

I agree, as people who can afford the help will continue to hire people to give them a hand. Then you have people who want to prep thier houses for parties, and other company.

You made a good choice it seems. Keep up the good work.

Karen

48 months ago

Thanks until my husband starts bugging me to get a regular job.
which wont happen for a while. This is something I really like doing.

48 months ago

You could end up doing quite well with that. And, even branch out into other related services. Home organizing, and stagings, etc. etc. then the people will ask you to house sit pet sit, water plants, you name it. All add ins. The possibilities are endless.

I think you can really do well at this.

Karen

48 months ago

Thanks getting laid off at Beltone at the end of 2009 was the best thing that ever happened to me. If that didnt happen, I never could do what I am doing now.
Thanks for the encouragment.
Besides, working at Beltone sucked.

gracie257 in Toms River, New Jersey

48 months ago

Hi Karen. Been reading your posts. Congrats! Just a thought....I would personally go online and incorporate my bs name (get a LLC) to make sure no one else takes it - its a cute name - you never know.....you could sell franchises down the road! Wouldn't that be nice. BTW - it doesn't cost anything - just put in your bs name, address, TIN (which in this case would be your ssn) and check off that you want to be a limited liability corp. Basically that's it. Good Luck!

Karen

48 months ago

Thanks I knew I could do this if I had the positive thoughts about it we are busy this week and next week so am glad about that.
Thanks for the information.

john in Quarryville, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Can anyone tell me if a male can get an AA job these days?

48 months ago

I did not know that AA can get as much as $35/hour. I am just to thankful right now to get a raise from $15 to $20 an hour.

48 months ago

Karen, more power to you! So happy to what the outcome of being laid off did to you. I guess, like what they said "if God closes the door, he opens a window". Good for you!

Tammi in Dayton, Ohio

48 months ago

john in Quarryville, Pennsylvania said: Can anyone tell me if a male can get an AA job these days?

John, I work for a large health-care group with hospitals, outpatient clinics, and drs. offices and have been here over 7 years in a few different admin roles, now an administrative coordinator. In the beginning I didn't notice any men in the admin positions but now I'd say they hold at least 1/4 of them. Kinda the same with male nurses too. I'm not sure about other areas in the country (I'm in Dayton, Ohio) but I'd think it would be about the same. I also take calls from a lot of law offices looking for medical records for litigation and they are usually the admin assistants to the attorney on the case and literally all of them I've talked with recently are male. Hope that helps a bit! :)

Tammi
www.administrative-assistant.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

I used to work for a large manufacturing company where I made $66k a year plus bonus and overtime. My 2006 tax return was $78k. The company went bankrupt in 2008 and I got another job in mid-2009, where I currently make $54k a year. I'm an administrative assistant (not at the executive level, mid-management) with a high school degree and about 40 hours of college. That pay cut hurt a little bit but I saved all my overtime from my last job, so I felt comfortable enough to take it. Even with the cut, I still realize that I make a ridiculous salary for being a regular admin.

My point is that everything depends...it depends on which city and state you live in, it depends on the industry you work in, how big the company, etc. Here in Houston the admins make more than a lot of degreed positions, even in this tough economy. The oil and gas, chemical, and energy industries still make a killing, and while I don't agree with a lot of their politics (and dear God is my job boring!!), I like the income. Plain and simple.

Oh, and just to compare, before I got into the chemical manufacturing industry, I was a database analyst for the local school district. It was a more challenging job and I did not get paid overtime. I also only made $36k a year.

Natasha in Nottingham, United Kingdom

47 months ago

I know everyone here seems to be in the USA but just thought I'd throw my experiences into the ring from over the water.
I graduated from University with a BA in Psychology (only a 2:2) and spent three years in a dead end job in a call centre that paid minimum wage.
I am now in a low paid admin job for the local council and I have been for two years. My superiors keep telling me I am promotion material but there is a recruitment freeze on and they are only allowed to hire in exceptional circumstances, so although posts I would be interested in become empty, they don't open for hiring.
I hate admin. I understand it's the right thing for some people and that it's worthwhile but I hate working in admin just as I would hate being a professional footballer.
It could be at least a year or so until any promotion opportunities come up and even when they do there's no guaruntee I will be successful. I have looked for posts outside the council but at the moment I am not even being invited to interview for stuff at my current level, let alone anything higher. The only place that seems to be willing to take me on is back in the call centre which was the only job that made me more miserable than admin.
I just don't know what I should do.
I keep applying for other jobs and being turned down without interview and I find myself trying not to cry at work when I think about the thought of being stuck here any longer.
I'm not trying to be rude to people who do enjoy admin work but it's not right for me and I am miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah - Houston, TX

47 months ago

Reply to Natasha in UK. At least for me, I think it becomes partly to do with a choice upon finishing college. Some choices seem to be sticking to what you studied, whereas some choices have next to nothing to do with what you studied ("settling" for a job when one needs a job, needs income and don't want to wait any longer for the "right" role, especially after much rejection or no calls for interviews). The other part is a current choice, if one keeps performing admin work just because that is the only experience gained in a work role. So breaking out of your current choice, your current role is the key. I know it is tough to leave a job when you need the work/the money, so I do suggest staying there, but all the while doing what you can outside of work... either getting a fresh online course that related to your degree, or else something that relates to what you'd rather do. With Psychology, have you any interest in working at a school in a role of teacher? With your field, do you have any interest in a Masters? If not into working in a job that specifically uses your degree, have you decided what you would LOVE to be doing each day? Such as a hobby you have that you think just won't pay, but you love it? It might be hard to swallow, but I can say this since I too am guilty of it, but if we can build more confidence in ourselves, know where our talents are best put to use, make a decision that goes forward in that direction, recognizing the current admin role choice we made isn't working, and figuring out how to not just 'get away from admin', but 'get into ______', then reaching a goal can be possible. What is your goal? What do you want to get into? PS: in Houston, TX, yes I've seen upper $40k and into $55k areas for Executive Assistant roles, and true, for me to work in my field (Marketing), I may not get that high at least not starting out...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jodith Allen in Custer, Washington

47 months ago

Hi, Natasha. Have you thought about going back to school for further training to help you move into another field? If you are so miserable doing the job you're in, you really need to find something that suits you better. I know here in the US, universities have career departments that will help their graduates figure out what kind of jobs they want to look for and how to look for those jobs. If you have that kind of benefit there, you should check it out. If you don't have that, you can always look into hiring a career coach. They provide the same kind of service, but you have to pay them.

I agree, not everyone is suited to admin work. Some of us thrive in it and others just can't stand it. I'd feel the same way if someone wanted me to be an accountant or professional cook or something. I just couldn't do it.

Su in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

I'm in a particularly unusual bind right now. And unlike all of you who are in this field already, I've been trying to break into it without much luck! I've changed/tailored my resume to make it fit the positions I am applying for, but nothing! No emails, no calls, no interviews. I even tried those temp agencies or employment agencies but they seem only to be interested in helping those who already have the experience. I had been working in the retail industry for 3+ years and I moved up quickly and was even offered a store manager position. But they wanted me to move into a sh*thole and I knew if I took the position, I'd never see the light of day again. I'm also married so I had to take my husband and his job into consideration. Relocation just wasn't an option, and even if it was, I didn't want to move there! I ended up just leaving the job which was paying me $14/hr, more than most other retail jobs, thinking I KNOW I can do much better out there. And with 3+ years of retail and customer service experience with management skills, I was positive I would find something else. But sadly, nothing! I have applied to everything conceivable with absolutely no luck. I am only 25 and Asian American. I often wonder if my age or race has a lot to do with why I'm not getting hired. I look like I'm about 18 and getting ready to go into college and not that I've already been 4 years out of college! And when most people glance my name on my resume, I wonder if they think I probably can't speak English and that's why they don't even bother contacting me?! I know I don't want to go back into retail. I've done that; it's really not something I want as a career. I wanted a nice office environment job and thought Admin Asst would be a perfect transition. Most postings list job requirements as "filing, data entry, answering phones, making copies and order office supplies" I could do all of that! So what's with the 1yr experience requirement? I'm not looking to be an EA from the start

lesliec in East Orange, New Jersey

46 months ago

Don't feel bad I have 20 years experience as an EA an I rarely get any response. Suggestions only, list in your summary on your resume, you speak fluent English and any other languages that's an A plus. With temp agencies try and request the Prove It test for MS Office (word, excel, powerpoint) and include as a skill set transcript when posting your resume only if you pass the test. This is not bias just trying to get you a job, apply @ Samsung, Sony, or any other place that my utilize your other languages, let it be know that your speak both languages fluently. Lastly, try and obtain an entry level administrative assitant position for 2-3 years then you may move up to EA and Adm Asst I, II, III. Good Luck!!!!!

john in Paradise, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

I am from chester county which is near philly. What company did you work for in retail?

Su in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

lesliec - Thanks for the advice. I already have "fluent in English" listed on my resume, which seems quite silly to me. The problem with temp agencies is that they aren't even willing to help me! Every one of them that I've contacted have said, "We like to pair apples with apples and in your case, since you don't have any exp, you aren't what our clients are looking for." I've explained to them that I have the skills necessary to do the job even without the "office environment exp"; I just need an in. :( Exactly HOW DO YOU get started in this field with no direct office experience??? Everyone has to start somewhere, right? And that goes for just about anyone trying to land their first job. Do people in corporate America just lack common sense and decency?

john - I was working for a company called NakajimaUSA who are partnered with Sanrio Inc... if you know who they are. This position was in King of Prussia. Why do you ask?

john in Paradise, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

i was just curious. because i am in retail and your story sounded familar

Mary Elizabeth Evans in Columbus, Ohio

46 months ago

Interested in applying for the Administrative Assistant at Germain Motor Company

dolly516 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

44 months ago

really a lot of aa's are second in command and they even know more than some ceo's do!

Alex in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

I am trying to get out of this field. I am a 31 yo legal assistant with no degree. I am fluent french-english (french being my native language). I earn almost $60,000/year and ...hate my job. Bored out of my mind. I feel stuck and not sure what to do. There is nowhere to move up. I work in a very large law firm and I am stuck stuck stuck.
I know a lot of people would be happy with my salary, but I am boooooooored. What can I change my career into???? what can a AA/LA become?

OldTypist in Staten Island, New York

40 months ago

You can't become anything without a college degree these days.
Certainly nothing that pays anywhere near the amount of money you currently earn.

You better think long and hard before you leave that job.

Maybe you could take a part time job on the weekends doing something you perceive as exciting. You may realize your other job is not as boring as you think it is.

I would just make sure you have a steady gig in this economy, before you leave your current position.

Better to be bored at work and have money for excitement on you spare time. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gracie257 in Toms River, New Jersey

40 months ago

Words of Wisdom!!!!

Jasmin in New York, New York

40 months ago

lost in Phoenix, Arizona said: Are you kidding me? Who wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a college education just to be an admin? I have years of debt to pay off and I'll never make enough money being an admin to stop renting an apartment and pay off all my debt. It's not easy to move up in the job either.

interesting comment. i work for one of the top three banks in the world. one of the managers who reports to the CEO of the entire company started out as an admin. in my ten plus years here, i've seen many admins promoted to management positions.

in my case i've been there, done that and i don't need the headache, stress or the long hours. i enjoy being an admin and i make six figures at my job...AND they paid a huge portion of my tuition at school.

you have been misinformed about admins my dear.

Frankensense in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

Jasmin - most admins are not able to achieve that high level of earning that you have managed to get. You have to, of course, consider your location, years of experience as well as business that you're admin-ing for. Unfortunately you're the exception, Jasmin, and not the standard. Most of us who have worked in the field quickly got tired of the way in which we were treated in contrast to the hours worked and wages earned. If most of us had been pampered admins then I'm sure more would have more positive things to say about the position. It does vary from company to compay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

keepthering in Staten Island, New York

39 months ago

It's called empathy. Trying to put yourself in another person's shoes, even though your life may be better. If she ever loses the high paying Admin job, and she is over 40, good luck finding another one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

camznan in Methuen, Massachusetts

38 months ago

DO NOT give up your teaching job to become an admin!! I left teaching when I was younger and went into secretarial work and I kick myself EVERY day for doing it (20 years later). Teaching is the best profession in the world where people respect you and some actually show gratitude, which you will never see in the secretarial field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

CareerChanger in Brooklyn, New York said: I am a teacher and am looking for a change. I'm not interested in being a principal or coach so there's no room for growth in my field. I took a career assessment that said my skills and interest lean more towards clerical work.

Are you saying that if I become an admin I will find my job unrewarding? I mean I would hate to give up an 8-3 work day and summers off only to find myself stuck at another job just in a different field.

DO NOT give up your teaching job to become an admin!! I left teaching when I was younger and went into secretarial work and I kick myself EVERY day for doing it (20 years later). Teaching is the best profession in the world where people respect you and some actually show gratitude, which you will never see in the secretarial field.

38 months ago

just need to know in Ewa Beach, Hawaii said: To all admin asst people like me, I was just wondering how much are you all currently getting paid for this position? I've read some people have been mistreated, abuse by doing so much stuff but getting paid little. Should I consider myself lucky if I'm getting paid $15 an hour?

I make 40k/year in Massachusetts, but I would gladly trade with you to live in Hawaii........

Frankensense in Warwick, Rhode Island

37 months ago

keepthering in Staten Island, New York said: It's called empathy. Trying to put yourself in another person's shoes, even though your life may be better. If she ever loses the high paying Admin job, and she is over 40, good luck finding another one.

Gosh, empathy. Big word.

I've known quite a few people over 40 who have managed to find jobs, even recently and even in this market. At this point most people need to realize that unless they are highly and specially trained they're going to have to take what ever they can get and be happy for it. As a 20-something that is what I had to do a little over a year and a half ago and had been unemployed.

I've seen so much "wah wah I'm over a certain age and therefore cannot get a job" complaining on this board. You can get a job at that age.
Network. Go back to school. Utilize connections and don't be afraid to take anything - even if you feel it is 'below' you - at this point in time.

37 months ago

Empathy is a "big word"???

keepthering in Staten Island, New York

37 months ago

Empathy is a big word for someone who doesn't have any.

We all took any job when we were 20-something. Now we have families to support and keep afloat.

I went back to school and started my own business. Now I no longer have to network to find a job.

I am glad that the 20-somethings are making a contribution to help support those who can't get a job. It's their turn to carry the torch.

Thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms H in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

Having worked at a couple large businesses - Fortune 500 - it intrigued me how Admin Assistants (aka secretaries) now REFUSE to do things: at one company, the admin was instructed by one boss to record some messages - she said she "REFUSED" to do it.
Then on a recent experience at another company, this woman who was supposed to be our Admin Asst "REFUSED" to assist with web site administration (when I asked her)...and it was clear on any other requests - that she did ONLY what she WANTED/CHOSE to do, rather than assist as needed. Interestingly, after I left the company - and MALE bosses told her it was part of her job - suddenly, she could LEARN. The nasty, ignorant, rude little witch got what was coming to her.
The self-serving, self-important attitudes of these people only mirrors the BIGGER problem in the USA and why its industries are collapsing: everyone thinks they're MORE IMPORTANT - instead of just realizing we're all part of a team.

37 months ago

keepthering in Staten Island, New York said: Empathy is a big word for someone who doesn't have any.

We all took any job when we were 20-something. Now we have families to support and keep afloat.

I went back to school and started my own business. Now I no longer have to network to find a job.

I am glad that the 20-somethings are making a contribution to help support those who can't get a job. It's their turn to carry the torch.

Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome. Maybe your nasty attitude is what is keeping you unemployed? Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Ms H in San Francisco, California said: Having worked at a couple large businesses - Fortune 500 - it intrigued me how Admin Assistants (aka secretaries) now REFUSE to do things: at one company, the admin was instructed by one boss to record some messages - she said she "REFUSED" to do it.
Then on a recent experience at another company, this woman who was supposed to be our Admin Asst "REFUSED" to assist with web site administration (when I asked her)...and it was clear on any other requests - that she did ONLY what she WANTED/CHOSE to do, rather than assist as needed. Interestingly, after I left the company - and MALE bosses told her it was part of her job - suddenly, she could LEARN. The nasty, ignorant, rude little witch got what was coming to her.
The self-serving, self-important attitudes of these people only mirrors the BIGGER problem in the USA and why its industries are collapsing: everyone thinks they're MORE IMPORTANT - instead of just realizing we're all part of a team.

You can see that in spades if you read some of the more recent posters. They are part of the "me me me" generation and now expect the world to be handed to them on a golden platter just because they've run into a less then ideal job (or lack thereof) situation. When I graduated from college a few years ago jobs were hard to find - most people who are entering the workforce now are finding it hard to get placed in a job. I have found all of my jobs by networking, and expect that to be the case for the rest of my career, frankly. You have to do what you have to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

camznan in Methuen, Massachusetts said: Empathy is a "big word"???

Is for some on this board

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.